Thread: Spell check!

Spell check!

Hey, just discovered the "new and improved" Forum has this feature. (In two recent posts it underlined a couple of screen names, which of course aren't in the dictionary, but it also caught an unintentional spelling error.)

I personally hate to write posts with spelling errors as they make me appear even dumber than I really am. But, like most, I was too lazy to crack the dictionary. Of course it will not correct misuse of "there, their, they're" or "to, too, two," but still it is great for those of us who would like our posts as easily readable as possible.

THANK YOU to whoever added this feature.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Quote Originally Posted by BCKRider View Post
    Hey, just discovered the "new and improved" Forum has this feature. (In two recent posts it underlined a couple of screen names, which of course aren't in the dictionary, but it also caught an unintentional spelling error.)

I personally hate to write posts with spelling errors as they make me appear even dumber than I really am. But, like most, I was too lazy to crack the dictionary. Of course it will not correct misuse of "there, their, they're" or "to, too, two," but still it is great for those of us who would like our posts as easily readable as possible.

THANK YOU to whoever added this feature.
    Actually this has been a feature of V-Bulletin software packages for some time (and a number of other forum packages as well). As you type along, if you happen to see a red squiggly line appear under the word you just typed, a spelling error has occurred. If you hover your cursor arrow over the indicated spelling error and "right click"- a spelling options box will appear and you will be good to go.
    Normally this is more of a software help type of question but since there is some interest, I'll leave it here.
    Remember, if you have questions on forum operation, just let one of us know and we will do what we can to make the forum work for you. Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Normally this is more of a software help type of question but since there is some interest, I'll leave it here.
    Remember, if you have questions on forum operation, just let one of us know and we will do what we can to make the forum work for you. Gary
    Thanks Gary, for what YOU and all the other MODS do. It goes very much unsaid that this valuable tool and service would not exist without YOU GUYS...............God bless........Dennis

... you forgot "then" and "than"
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

RK Ryder
    Actually this has been a feature of V-Bulletin software packages for some time (and a number of other forum packages as well). As you type along, if you happen to see a red squiggly line appear under the word you just typed, a spelling error has occurred. If you hover your cursor arrow over the indicated spelling error and "right click"- a spelling options box will appear and you will be good to go.
    Gary
    True, but it always underlines my Canadian/English spellings which are similar but not quite the same as American spellings. Despite my correct spellings, I must seem quite illiterate to our American members.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    True, but it always underlines my Canadian/English spellings which are similar but not quite the same as American spellings. Despite my correct spellings, I must seem quite illiterate to our American members.
    I myself have plenty to do without worrying about typos and the goofiness of the English language. The feature is there for those who want to use it. Other than that, as long as I was able to make out the thought someone was trying to convey, I'm good to go.
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

There's also an application called "ieSpell" - If you have Windows, check under your "Tools" tab; if you don't have it, it's free from the CNET downloads site.

I don't wanna look more illegitimate than I really am.

True, but it always underlines my Canadian/English spellings which are similar but not quite the same as American spellings.
    Don't you just love the English language?

When you get the 'squiggly red line underline' hold your cursor over the word in question and 'right click'. You will have the option to select the "corrected" word - or - if you look further down the opened window you can select Add to Dictionary to prevent the silly software from questioning your literacy the next time you use the word.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

It would seem my OP was wrong and that this "spell check" has been there all along, if I am reading you correctly. Perhaps my spelling has simply gotten worse!
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Actually this has been a feature of V-Bulletin software packages for some time (and a number of other forum packages as well). As you type along, if you happen to see a red squiggly line appear under the word you just typed, a spelling error has occurred.
    At home this feature is only available to me when using Chrome. When using IE I had to download ieSpell and click on the ABC check button.
    At work I use IE and can not download ieSpell.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Interesting. I am running Firefox and have never seen a forum without it. While I'm no expert in MS Word, it seems that most of the forums I know of follow a "loose" adaptation of MSW.
    OM
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200