Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 2002 K1200 Best Battery?

Springtime when a young man's fancy turns to romance and an old man's to motorcycle batteries!

I just ordered a new battery for my K75 last week . When I bought my K75 in June of 2006, it had an almost new Westco sealed battery in it. I have done absolutely nothing to this battery- no cleaning, no charging-nothing. It never failed to start. I could tell though that it was getting a little weak. I did check at Batteries Plus and they had good batteries but the prices were not that good plus if I buy in Texas there is an 8.25% sales tax plus a $3 disposal fee. I found Beemer Boneyard to have a good deal on Westco batteries. They give a 10% discount to MOA members which just about covers the cost of shipping. My big 30 amp battery will cost about $120 which if it will last 6 years is pretty cheap for all that it does. One oil change costs more than that.

I have ordered several times from the Boneyard and have always been pleased.

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by MWIECK View Post
    Springtime when a young man's fancy turns to romance and an old man's to motorcycle batteries!
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by MWIECK View Post
    I just ordered a new battery for my K75 last week . When I bought my K75 in June of 2006, it had an almost new Westco sealed battery in it. I have done absolutely nothing to this battery- no cleaning, no charging-nothing. It never failed to start. I could tell though that it was getting a little weak. I did check at Batteries Plus and they had good batteries but the prices were not that good plus if I buy in Texas there is an 8.25% sales tax plus a $3 disposal fee. I found Beemer Boneyard to have a good deal on Westco batteries. They give a 10% discount to MOA members which just about covers the cost of shipping. My big 30 amp battery will cost about $120 which if it will last 6 years is pretty cheap for all that it does. One oil change costs more than that.

I have ordered several times from the Boneyard and have always been pleased.
    They are good folks to deal with.

What was the cost of the Odyssey battery?

Quote Originally Posted by Blouou View Post
    My most recent battery was the Odyssey AGM battery for my 2002 GSA. It lasted 2 years 5 months and now is totally dead as far as I can tell. I live in FL (hot) and sometimes can not ride for perhaps 4 months due to traveling (I remove the fuse to the clock during this time and as far as I know there is no other load on the battery when the ignition is Off but I might be wrong in this). During this time I do not have it on a trickle charger as the bike is parked in a parking lot (covered with a Sunbrella custom made cover which stands up to the elements). I should put it on a charger while not riding but because of the hassle factor to remove the battery I do not and had hoped the battery would last longer. Recently, after standing for 3 months I had to remove the battery and tried to charge it with an auto charger but it did not revive the battery. I took it to the supplier who has chargers with a fixed Votage or Amperage charge rate and they managed to get the voltage up over 13.5V and I had hoped it had revived. I did a ride and now 2 weeks later it is again dead, i.e., 10.5V at rest and 6 V when cranking the starter. Being an engineer I like investigating stuff and I know that my charging regime, or lack thereof, is not good for the battery. Also an AGM battery has different charging rates and voltages thus it requires a specific charger. I'm not sure if the standard BMW alternator is also a good match for the battery charging rate (it needs to be at least 6.4A for optimum design cycle life) , but I have not checked that.
    Prior to that I had a BMW Gel battery which lasted maybe 2 years. The Lead acid battery before that lasted as long if not longer.
    So for my type of riding it seems the AGM battery is not much better as I have to remove it any case at some point and I might as well do that with a cheaper alternative.
    None of these batteries ever let me down while out riding and clearly it's the lack of frequent charging that's the problem. Just be aware of the specific different charging regimes required for different battery types and thus optimise their lifespan.

If you don't mind my asking, what did What was the cost of the Odyssey battery?

link to batterystuff.com with odysessy battery. $135

http://www.batterystuff.com/powerspo...ies/PC680.html

So that can be a baseline price. If a local person had it anywhere near that price (140-160) I would support them.

NCS
    03 K 1200RS (Black is Best)
    03 Honda RC51
    74 Honda CB750 K4

thanks to all for your input

After reading this thread, and looking around extensively online, today I went over to Batteries Plus to see what they had on hand. Came home with an Odyssey PC680 battery, and they threw in the "posts", no extra charge. At 160 +/- $$, it was more than I could have gotten one online for- Amazon has them for less- BUT Batteries Plus has their own warranty they put on top of the manufacturer's warranty. AND they are right around the corner from my home. In less than an hour, I had a battery in my hand. A little while later, I had it installed in my bike. Boom. Done.

We'll see how it goes. I set up tours for a living. In every tech's work box, there is a drawer or compartment labeled "expendables"- things like tape, sharpies, Pens, pencils, etc.- that are going to get used up, lost, or whatever- these are going to be replaced fairly often. In vehicle ownership, there are a certain number of such expendable items. Batteries are certainly in this category. I guess it's not EXACTLY an oil or tire thread, but the range of opinions presented here demonstrate how many options there are. Everyone's experience depends largely on how they treat their battery. As I said earlier in the thread, I don't live in an area where there are lots of places to go look at or see things I need to purchase. Batteries Plus is a national chain, so hopefully, if anything ever happens to my battery, they'll be nearby.

Cheers, guys.
    Keep the shiny side up.

Tom
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Wealthy?

WOW!

You guys must be independently wealthy or . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by JIMMYLEE View Post
    WOW!

You guys must be independently wealthy or . . . .
    ??????
    03 K 1200RS (Black is Best)
    03 Honda RC51
    74 Honda CB750 K4