Thread: 2002 K1200 Best Battery?

Hybrid View

Post 2002 K1200 Best Battery?

Hope this hasn't already been beaten to death. Oddly, no luck in a search of this forum, using "2002 K1200 battery".

Looking to replace my 02 K1200 battery.
    Favorite online resource?
    How about cold cranking amps, and other specs on batteries?
    What is optimal for best reliability and life?

Any suggestions from The Collective?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by bmwrider88; 04-18-2013 at 02:51 AM.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Opinion

Hope you are independently wealthy! I don't have a K bike, but an older boxer, and when I asked the same question, pondering if just a simple purchase at a local store or auto store like AutoZone, I literally got blasted for even suggesting that One might want to put on such batteries.

From there, those guys recommended the expensive ones advertized in the MOA mag, some costing over $180.00.

I finally narrowed it down (for me) after conferring with quite a few in my local BMW club, and I decided on either one from Advance Auto costing around $60 but having a 1-year fully replaceable warranty at any location in the nation, or one from "Batteries Plus" which had a 90-day warranty but costing around $30 to $40 more. Also stores all over the country!

I decided against any mail order, or even local dealer purchase.

I can replace the $60 battery 3 times for the cost of one of those expensive batteries and I really don't think the expensive one will be any better or have any longer longevity. One thing for sure, I will have thousands more places across the US to go when and if I do have a problem. What will they do with their mail order source when there is only ONE of them in the country?

I will go with Advance Auto like many of my local club members have done!

Don't be intimidated by some self-proclaimed "purist" from some other part of the country who is intent on spending YOUR money and who won't be there when something goes wrong!

Hi Jimmy
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    I'm perfectly willing to spend a few bucks on a better-than-just-good battery. I mean, if the alternative is going to the BMW dealer for one.... Well you do the math there.

I DO hope others chime in here, and give me their opinions, tell me what they've had good or bad luck with... I wouldn't have asked, if I wasn't open to hearing what folks recommend. For me, this is the whole point of a forum- having a wide resource base for opinions and expertise, among other things.

3 Red Bricks
    You can't go wrong with an Odyssey battery. WAY better than standard lead acid.

The one in my bike is six years old. It gets ridden all the time. The one in my wife's bike is six years old and gets ridden primarily during the summer. Never needs to be on a tender even when sitting for 5 months.

http://www.directcycleparts.com/elec...680-p-270.html

http://www.odysseybattery.com/batteries.html

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Editing original post

I'm going to edit my original post to add a question about cold cranking amps. Anyone who is in the know on this, or on any other things we need to know, please chime in with knowledge, perspective, experience, etc.

Jimmy's response

There was a thread similar to this one on the airhead section, and opinions ran the range. However those claiming to have those expensive ones already mentioned seemed to get no longer life than those who bought the cheaper ones. It seemed to me that $60 dollars for 6 years seems better than $180 over the same period of time. What will you do when your expensive mail order battery goes bad and you are stranded? What better warranty do they have - I think less, 90 days or so.

All of the "glass" types of batteries are subject to going bad all of a sudden! The initial cost doesn't seem to avoid this. Some have no better cranking amps, than the cheaper ones.

I think those drawn to the expensive do so more than because of performance

It seems that BMW motorcycles seem to draw owners to buy expensive.

Hmmmmm?

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider88 View Post
    I DO hope others chime in here, and give me their opinions, tell me what they've had good or bad luck with.
    There are differences in the quality of batteries. For example, the batteries in my cars that have lasted 18 years and now and still going at 14 years are both Panasonic batteries that came with the car as delivered from Japan.

As for the BMW Mareg battery that came in my 1990 R100 GS when I took delivery in 1991, I replaced it in 2001. Thats 10 years of use. I just replaced it with a YUASA 53030 and will give it a try. At $91, it was cheaper than a OE BMW Mareg. YUASA has a good reputation.

I have very little use for VRLA (AGM or GEL) as well as Li-Ion batteries for concrete reasons.

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMMYLEE View Post

I can replace the $60 battery 3 times for the cost of one of those expensive batteries and I really don't think the expensive one will be any better or have any longer longevity. One thing for sure, I will have thousands more places across the US to go when and if I do have a problem. What will they do with their mail order source when there is only ONE of them in the country?

I will go with Advance Auto like many of my local club members have done!...................
    I tend to be extremely biased with batteries and really can't tell whether it is justifiable or not. We sell a lot of batteries and maybe half of what gets turned in for disposal are from auto parts stores. But there are a number of variables and it's tough to decide if my bias is justifiable.

The bigger problem with battery issues is really the fact that they are subject to sudden failure. Even with a lot of stores around I would prefer not to have to go through the sudden failure experience if I can avoid it. Because it seldom seems to happen while you're in your own garage.

You mention going with Advance Auto like a lot of local club members have done. But in another sentence you're saying you "really don't think the expensive one will be any better or have any longer longevity." Are you not able to determine with certainty from a long term point of view whether the automotive product will hold up as well as the Yuasa and Exide product?

Thank you for bringing up a good subject that affects many. Your thoughts would be appreciated by many I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider88 View Post
    What is optimal for best reliability and life?
    • a charging system in proper working condition "matched" to the type of battery.
    • clean, corrosion free electrical connections.
    • periodic maintenance of the battery.
    • an on-board voltmeter connected directly to the battery.

I work with batteries in a government lab. My personal batteries have lasted 18 years. The one in my present car is in its 14th year and going strong.

Yup, good old AGM batteries. They have their advantages, but none of them important to me as a motorcyclist.

Here is a depot full of them...your tax dollars hard at work...

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post

I work with batteries in a government lab. My personal batteries have lasted 18 years. The one in my present car is in its 14th year and going strong.
    That's incredible! I ride literally almost every day of the year. My wife has the car, I do not. How do you get that kind of life out of a battery?

Quote Originally Posted by billy walker View Post
    How do you get that kind of life out of a battery?
    • the charging system is spot on and the electrical connections have zero resistance.
    • the battery is removed every two years and cleaned externally (case, posts, clamps, etc).
    • the battery is topped up with distilled water every one to two years.

Temperature and vibration are killers. The hotter it is, the shorter your battery life.
    Voltage regulators need to regulate based on temperature.

Oh, and I love battery charger/maintainer advertizing on the packaging...almost as bad as oil additive promises.