Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Under mirror aux light mounts for the RTW

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    27

    Under mirror aux light mounts for the RTW

    Mirror. Mirror, damn it.

    Does anyone yet make or is working on a solution for mounting aux lights under the mirrors?

  2. #2
    Adirondackjack Adirondackjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Posts
    20

    Under mirror brackets

    I don't (as yet) have a solution to this mounting dilemma, but then I only just got the 2014 RTW. Clearwater lights is sending me the 2013 solution, and I will be adapting that to the 2014. Will be happy to advise of my progress as I go along.


    Best,

    Dave R.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Adirondackjack View Post
    I don't (as yet) have a solution to this mounting dilemma, but then I only just got the 2014 RTW. Clearwater lights is sending me the 2013 solution, and I will be adapting that to the 2014. Will be happy to advise of my progress as I go along.


    Best,

    Dave R.
    Can't wait to see the final solution.
    Put a set of your Sharkskins on my 2014 RT yesterday. Very nice.

  4. #4
    Cowboyatheart
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pender Harbour, B.C.
    Posts
    577

    from Clearwater - yesterday May 15, 2014

    Here are the mounts that we offer for the 2014 RTW with the Erica and Darla kits. We are not ready to ship these out for a couple of weeks.
    Still in Beta testing.

    R1200GSW, R1200RTW and GSAW w/WonderWheel. Fork mount-Darlas

    R1200RTW OEM fog light mount, CAN3-Ericas; and some Krista pictures

    We are just finishing the manuals today. Here are some pictures I just finished. This kit is really pretty awesome.R1200RTW_Darla_sm.jpg

    Only three pics' per post, so I will add another post....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nelliott; 05-16-2014 at 05:48 PM.
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO

  5. #5
    Cowboyatheart
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pender Harbour, B.C.
    Posts
    577

    more clearwater pics...

    Still in Beta testing, see post above.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern Front Range, CO
    Posts
    6,440
    mounting aux lights farther away from the headlight(s) gives you MUCH greater conspicuity, which might be even more important than increasing your vision capabilities.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wills Point, TX
    Posts
    61
    "mounting aux lights farther away from the headlight(s) gives you MUCH greater conspicuity, which might be even more important than increasing your vision capabilities."

    This is true, a study was done years ago this is why you see the triangle on trains; it helps other drivers judge your oncoming speed, distance. Back in 2002 I installed MotoLights on my 02R1150RT the drivers turning left in front of me virtually stopped.

    I just installed the BMW LED driving lights, it took me time to figure it all out but it was an easy installation. Very clean its plug and play with a catch. I had to go to the dealer for them to do computer magic. The OEM mount is great the location is perfect. One thing I like better than the caliper mount is I don't have to remove and realign with each tire change.

    Jay

  8. #8
    Cowboyatheart
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pender Harbour, B.C.
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by strataj View Post
    "mounting aux lights farther away from the headlight(s) gives you MUCH greater conspicuity, which might be even more important than increasing your vision capabilities."

    This is true, a study was done years ago this is why you see the triangle on trains; it helps other drivers judge your oncoming speed, distance. Back in 2002 I installed MotoLights on my 02R1150RT the drivers turning left in front of me virtually stopped.

    I just installed the BMW LED driving lights, it took me time to figure it all out but it was an easy installation. Very clean its plug and play with a catch. I had to go to the dealer for them to do computer magic. The OEM mount is great the location is perfect. One thing I like better than the caliper mount is I don't have to remove and realign with each tire change.

    Jay
    Hi Jay, can you post a photo?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wills Point, TX
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by strataj View Post
    "mounting aux lights farther away from the headlight(s) gives you MUCH greater conspicuity, which might be even more important than increasing your vision capabilities."

    This is true, a study was done years ago this is why you see the triangle on trains; it helps other drivers judge your oncoming speed, distance. Back in 2002 I installed MotoLights on my 02R1150RT the drivers turning left in front of me virtually stopped.

    I just installed the BMW LED driving lights, it took me time to figure it all out but it was an easy installation. Very clean its plug and play with a catch. I had to go to the dealer for them to do computer magic. The OEM mount is great the location is perfect. One thing I like better than the caliper mount is I don't have to remove and realign with each tire change.

    Jay
    I've taken a couple fo pic's for you all (FYI the headlight is off). Sorry the bike isn't detailed, went to the BMW Texas National Picnic yesterday (nice event).

    Jay
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2
    Has anyone mounted a set of denali's yet from twisted throttle?

  11. #11
    RT in NC
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    215

    Erica's

    My Erica's are in the mail . Hope to get them installed this weekend.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyEngle View Post
    Has anyone mounted a set of denali's yet from twisted throttle?
    Yes, I did. I had them installed at Twisted Throttle's service department in RI and their personnel were very accommodating-- even took me for lunch while I waited for the job to be completed.

    The installation included a very discreetly located switch at the side of the left fairing pocket so you cannot see the switch but it's still easily reached.

    For conspicuity reasons I had the lights wired so they are always on when the bike is running. On my K1600 I often used to forget to switch on the aux lights, so now that it's just automatic I never wonder if they are on; I use the switch to toggle between the high and low intensity levels of light. Over time though I've found I simply leave them on high and run with my headlight on high beam as well. It's an impressive show to oncoming vehicles.

    The lights themselves are attractively designed and don't have a grossly large logo as some other after-market units have. They are mounted at the calipers and seem completely integrated with the design of the bike -- better IMO than the BMW units which I had on my K1600. Bottom line: I recommend the lights as well as Twisted Throttle.

    Weston

  13. #13
    BMW MOA #198565 AirBender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by nelliott View Post
    Here are the mounts that we offer for the 2014 RTW with the Erica and Darla kits. We are not ready to ship these out for a couple of weeks.
    Still in Beta testing.

    R1200GSW, R1200RTW and GSAW w/WonderWheel. Fork mount-Darlas

    R1200RTW OEM fog light mount, CAN3-Ericas; and some Krista pictures

    We are just finishing the manuals today. Here are some pictures I just finished. This kit is really pretty awesome
    Hey Nelliot....I am interested in these lights. But I am a noob here....so can you please explain the difference between the "Darlas" & "Ericas"???

    Quote Originally Posted by mrm0416 View Post
    Yes, I did. I had them installed at Twisted Throttle's service department in RI and their personnel were very accommodating-- even took me for lunch while I waited for the job to be completed.

    The installation included a very discreetly located switch at the side of the left fairing pocket so you cannot see the switch but it's still easily reached.

    For conspicuity reasons I had the lights wired so they are always on when the bike is running. On my K1600 I often used to forget to switch on the aux lights, so now that it's just automatic I never wonder if they are on; I use the switch to toggle between the high and low intensity levels of light. Over time though I've found I simply leave them on high and run with my headlight on high beam as well. It's an impressive show to oncoming vehicles.

    The lights themselves are attractively designed and don't have a grossly large logo as some other after-market units have. They are mounted at the calipers and seem completely integrated with the design of the bike -- better IMO than the BMW units which I had on my K1600. Bottom line: I recommend the lights as well as Twisted Throttle.

    Weston
    These sound nice too! Do you have any pictures Weston?
    "Are you living life the way you were meant to, or how you have been led to think you are supposed to?"
    1989 Yamaha FZR 400 Racebike (r.i.p.), 2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold), 1983 custom naked Honda Goldwing, 2015 BMW R1200RT (on order)

  14. #14
    Cowboyatheart
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pender Harbour, B.C.
    Posts
    577
    Check out http://clearwaterlights.com/products2_pp.html for details

    Essentially Darlas, with Amber lenses, are great conspicuacy lights, mount lower.

    Erica and kristas are higher output, see down the road, and wide too. extremely bright. i have not seen any better. and really quality workmanship too.

    BTW I am a customer of clearwater, not affliated with them

    Neil TasteMoringa.com
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by nelliott; 10-14-2014 at 04:18 AM.
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO

  15. #15
    Registered User motocamper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NE Pennsylvania
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by AirBender View Post
    Hey Nelliot....I am interested in these lights. But I am a noob here....so can you please explain the difference between the "Darlas" & "Ericas"???



    These sound nice too! Do you have any pictures Weston?
    The low beams. Ericas are the brightest lights on the planet! Darlas with amber lens are third color in the triangle. We do a lot of super slab and been told that we stand right out in the rear view mirrors regardless of distance. The road signs reflect on overcast days. Great safety investment, much better than loud pipes. At night you have twice the view, hit the high beams and you will blind on coming traffic, even in the day time, use highs with care.
    Be safe
    Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We're not here for a long time
    We're here for a good time HUEY LEWIS

    2007 R1200RT, 2003 F650CS

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •