Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Under mirror aux light mounts for the RTW

Under mirror aux light mounts for the RTW

Mirror. Mirror, damn it.

Does anyone yet make or is working on a solution for mounting aux lights under the mirrors?

Under mirror brackets

I don't (as yet) have a solution to this mounting dilemma, but then I only just got the 2014 RTW. Clearwater lights is sending me the 2013 solution, and I will be adapting that to the 2014. Will be happy to advise of my progress as I go along.

Best,

Dave R.

Quote Originally Posted by Adirondackjack View Post
    I don't (as yet) have a solution to this mounting dilemma, but then I only just got the 2014 RTW. Clearwater lights is sending me the 2013 solution, and I will be adapting that to the 2014. Will be happy to advise of my progress as I go along.

Best,

Dave R.
    Can't wait to see the final solution.
    Put a set of your Sharkskins on my 2014 RT yesterday. Very nice.

Cowboyatheart

from Clearwater - yesterday May 15, 2014

Here are the mounts that we offer for the 2014 RTW with the Erica and Darla kits. We are not ready to ship these out for a couple of weeks.
    Still in Beta testing.

R1200GSW, R1200RTW and GSAW w/WonderWheel. Fork mount-Darlas

R1200RTW OEM fog light mount, CAN3-Ericas; and some Krista pictures

We are just finishing the manuals today. Here are some pictures I just finished. This kit is really pretty awesome.R1200RTW_Darla_sm.jpg

Only three pics' per post, so I will add another post....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nelliott; 05-16-2014 at 05:48 PM.
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO

Cowboyatheart

more clearwater pics...

Still in Beta testing, see post above.
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!

mounting aux lights farther away from the headlight(s) gives you MUCH greater conspicuity, which might be even more important than increasing your vision capabilities.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

"mounting aux lights farther away from the headlight(s) gives you MUCH greater conspicuity, which might be even more important than increasing your vision capabilities."

This is true, a study was done years ago this is why you see the triangle on trains; it helps other drivers judge your oncoming speed, distance. Back in 2002 I installed MotoLights on my 02R1150RT the drivers turning left in front of me virtually stopped.

I just installed the BMW LED driving lights, it took me time to figure it all out but it was an easy installation. Very clean its plug and play with a catch. I had to go to the dealer for them to do computer magic. The OEM mount is great the location is perfect. One thing I like better than the caliper mount is I don't have to remove and realign with each tire change.

Jay

Cowboyatheart
    Quote Originally Posted by strataj View Post
    "mounting aux lights farther away from the headlight(s) gives you MUCH greater conspicuity, which might be even more important than increasing your vision capabilities."

This is true, a study was done years ago this is why you see the triangle on trains; it helps other drivers judge your oncoming speed, distance. Back in 2002 I installed MotoLights on my 02R1150RT the drivers turning left in front of me virtually stopped.

I just installed the BMW LED driving lights, it took me time to figure it all out but it was an easy installation. Very clean its plug and play with a catch. I had to go to the dealer for them to do computer magic. The OEM mount is great the location is perfect. One thing I like better than the caliper mount is I don't have to remove and realign with each tire change.

Jay
    Hi Jay, can you post a photo?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by strataj View Post

Jay
    I've taken a couple fo pic's for you all (FYI the headlight is off). Sorry the bike isn't detailed, went to the BMW Texas National Picnic yesterday (nice event).

Jay

Has anyone mounted a set of denali's yet from twisted throttle?

RT in NC

Erica's

My Erica's are in the mail . Hope to get them installed this weekend.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyEngle View Post
    Has anyone mounted a set of denali's yet from twisted throttle?
    Yes, I did. I had them installed at Twisted Throttle's service department in RI and their personnel were very accommodating-- even took me for lunch while I waited for the job to be completed.

The installation included a very discreetly located switch at the side of the left fairing pocket so you cannot see the switch but it's still easily reached.

For conspicuity reasons I had the lights wired so they are always on when the bike is running. On my K1600 I often used to forget to switch on the aux lights, so now that it's just automatic I never wonder if they are on; I use the switch to toggle between the high and low intensity levels of light. Over time though I've found I simply leave them on high and run with my headlight on high beam as well. It's an impressive show to oncoming vehicles.

The lights themselves are attractively designed and don't have a grossly large logo as some other after-market units have. They are mounted at the calipers and seem completely integrated with the design of the bike -- better IMO than the BMW units which I had on my K1600. Bottom line: I recommend the lights as well as Twisted Throttle.

Weston

Quote Originally Posted by nelliott View Post
    Here are the mounts that we offer for the 2014 RTW with the Erica and Darla kits. We are not ready to ship these out for a couple of weeks.
    Still in Beta testing.

R1200GSW, R1200RTW and GSAW w/WonderWheel. Fork mount-Darlas

R1200RTW OEM fog light mount, CAN3-Ericas; and some Krista pictures

We are just finishing the manuals today. Here are some pictures I just finished. This kit is really pretty awesome
    Hey Nelliot....I am interested in these lights. But I am a noob here....so can you please explain the difference between the "Darlas" & "Ericas"???

Quote Originally Posted by mrm0416 View Post
    Yes, I did. I had them installed at Twisted Throttle's service department in RI and their personnel were very accommodating-- even took me for lunch while I waited for the job to be completed.

The installation included a very discreetly located switch at the side of the left fairing pocket so you cannot see the switch but it's still easily reached.

For conspicuity reasons I had the lights wired so they are always on when the bike is running. On my K1600 I often used to forget to switch on the aux lights, so now that it's just automatic I never wonder if they are on; I use the switch to toggle between the high and low intensity levels of light. Over time though I've found I simply leave them on high and run with my headlight on high beam as well. It's an impressive show to oncoming vehicles.

The lights themselves are attractively designed and don't have a grossly large logo as some other after-market units have. They are mounted at the calipers and seem completely integrated with the design of the bike -- better IMO than the BMW units which I had on my K1600. Bottom line: I recommend the lights as well as Twisted Throttle.

Weston
    These sound nice too! Do you have any pictures Weston?
    "Are you living life the way you were meant to, or how you have been led to think you are supposed to?"
    1989 Yamaha FZR 400 Racebike (r.i.p.), 2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold), 1983 custom naked Honda Goldwing, 2015 BMW R1200RT (on order)

Cowboyatheart
    Check out http://clearwaterlights.com/products2_pp.html for details

Essentially Darlas, with Amber lenses, are great conspicuacy lights, mount lower.

Erica and kristas are higher output, see down the road, and wide too. extremely bright. i have not seen any better. and really quality workmanship too.

BTW I am a customer of clearwater, not affliated with them

Neil TasteMoringa.com
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by nelliott; 10-14-2014 at 04:18 AM.
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by AirBender View Post
    Hey Nelliot....I am interested in these lights. But I am a noob here....so can you please explain the difference between the "Darlas" & "Ericas"???

These sound nice too! Do you have any pictures Weston?
    The low beams. Ericas are the brightest lights on the planet! Darlas with amber lens are third color in the triangle. We do a lot of super slab and been told that we stand right out in the rear view mirrors regardless of distance. The road signs reflect on overcast days. Great safety investment, much better than loud pipes. At night you have twice the view, hit the high beams and you will blind on coming traffic, even in the day time, use highs with care.
    Be safe
    Tony
    We're not here for a long time
    We're here for a good time HUEY LEWIS

2007 R1200RT, 2003 F650CS