Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2014 R1200rt without DSA

K1100LT

2014 R1200rt without DSA

I've been riding a 2004 r1150rt but was looking at the new 2014 when all heck broke loose with the recall. I actually had been looking to order one without the DSA for money savings as much as anything. Could someone tell me if this feature is worth the extra moolah, assuming it was working properly? Does anyone own one without it that missed the recall party?
    Mark
    1993 K1100lt
    2004 R1150rt

Do you mean the shift assist? If so, mine didn't work upon pickup, but was assured it would be fixed at the 600 mile checkup. I've heard that it's handy, especially with a passenger, as it eliminates bumping of helmets. It's a doo-dad that I suppose I will learn to use and like, based on others' comments

K1100LT
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDabbs View Post
    Do you mean the shift assist? If so, mine didn't work upon pickup, but was assured it would be fixed at the 600 mile checkup. I've heard that it's handy, especially with a passenger, as it eliminates bumping of helmets. It's a doo-dad that I suppose I will learn to use and like, based on others' comments
    No I meant the Dynamic suspension. If you go to BMW's website you can click on the "build your own" button and you can order the bike without the Dynamic stuff and it's a $3200 savings.
    Mark
    1993 K1100lt
    2004 R1150rt

RT in NC
    It is actually ESA. The option is dynamic esa. From what I see it is $950. Unless you have to order more stuff to get it. Interesting in the close up it is showing a Sacs shock.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by hogwide@aol.com View Post
    It is actually ESA. The option is dynamic esa. From what I see it is $950. Unless you have to order more stuff to get it. Interesting in the close up it is showing a Sacs shock.
    If you're talking ESA (didn't know you could get extra special ESA) I've had it on my last 3 RT's and I use it all the time. Very handy, especially on poor roads for comfort of rider and passenger. Can also use it to "kneel down" like a bus when passenger is getting on or off then switch to 2 up.

If you're talking ESA (didn't know you could get extra special ESA) I've had it on my last 3 RT's and I use it all the time. Very handy, especially on poor roads for comfort of rider and passenger. Can also use it to "kneel down" like a bus when passenger is getting on or off then switch to 2 up.

How do you manage that? I didn't get to ride my bike a lot before parking it, but I never noticed any difference in height with any of the settings.

The ESA on the 14RT is different it?s dynamic, it adjust per riding conditions on its own (the computer). I really like it and think it's worth the bucks. It just doesn?t make the suspension setup easy like in the past.

Jay

It's not only the cost but I consider the complexity in all these systems. My theory that if you keep it simple there is a lot less that can go wrong. I'm considering a new GS and not sure if I want all the bells and whistles. Only thing I would add is the luggage,as long as they don't computerize that.

The online build your bike is over simplistic. The $3200. they show online is a number of extra options loaded on. ESA is a $950.00 option if you "really" build your bike at the dealer's software desk. I'm considering a non ESA bike...just the old fashion manual adjustment. I don't race in the twists, not many of them around here. And actually one can tune the manual suspension more closely than with ESA's more or less set perimeters. Of course you can't adjust manual on the fly, but I ride solo and weight varies only 20 to 30 pounds depending on saddlebag contents. Anyway $950.00 is the difference...pros and cons with both ESA and manual...take your pick...just don't buy one where the rear struct may fracture...LOL???
    '14 RT gone - '15 RT coming - '13 RT filling the interval
    MOA #46783

K1100LT
    I like the fact that BMW is still allowing you to order a simpler version. I like the boxer engine for it's simple, efficient, precision design and is why I ride one. I hope they continue and even go farther down the road of choices. for those who like all the electronic gizmos you have your wish but I still like the simpler approach.
    Mark
    1993 K1100lt
    2004 R1150rt

Droptine1968
    Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    The online build your bike is over simplistic. The $3200. they show online is a number of extra options loaded on. ESA is a $950.00 option if you "really" build your bike at the dealer's software desk. I'm considering a non ESA bike...just the old fashion manual adjustment. I don't race in the twists, not many of them around here. And actually one can tune the manual suspension more closely than with ESA's more or less set perimeters. Of course you can't adjust manual on the fly, but I ride solo and weight varies only 20 to 30 pounds depending on saddlebag contents. Anyway $950.00 is the difference...pros and cons with both ESA and manual...take your pick...just don't buy one where the rear struct may fracture...LOL???
    My impression or assumption is that all the items in the "Premium" package listed in the Build Your Own website cannot be separated out as different options, such as if the only option I wanted was the audio system, I have to get ESA, Hill Start Control, etc..., and the dealers couldn't do that separation. Sounds like what you're saying is that I'm wrong.
    2005 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by droptine View Post
    My impression or assumption is that all the items in the "Premium" package listed in the Build Your Own website cannot be separated out as different options, such as if the only option I wanted was the audio system, I have to get ESA, Hill Start Control, etc..., and the dealers couldn't do that separation. Sounds like what you're saying is that I'm wrong.
    I know it is the first time, but you are wrong...LOL. You can order a base bike (2015 Base RT is $17,705...that includes $150.00 for metallic paint and they are all metallic). Or a Premium version, which includes three packages. However, if you wish, you can order individual options or packages or combinations of options and packages. The "Packages" are just set sets of options (bundled) with some value added discounting versus if you'd ordered the contents of said package as individual options. I have the 2015 pricing matrix in front of me as I type. You can order in any configuration you desire, if within the rules....and if your dealer cares enough to know what to do. If he doesn't get another dealer.

Want radio, Headlight Pro, Modes Pro, Hill Assist, Chrome exhaust, accessory socket and cruise control..with NO ESA? Then the "value" way to go is Technology and Dynamic Packages and as a separate option, Cruise Control. You save around $1,000, but by not ordering the Comfort Package which contains ESA, you will lose some other items in the package, like heated seas. However, you can order the heated seat as a separate option for $350.00. If you want you can order a Base bike and just have ESA as a separate $950.00 option. Seems almost endless combos.

As I say, it is a matrix, so you should sit down with a qualified/interested BMW salesman to pick through the combinations for exactly what you want...for the best value package. If there a particular "build" you're interested in...let me know.
    MOA #46783

Droptine1968
    Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    I know it is the first time, but you are wrong...LOL. You can order a base bike (2015 Base RT is $17,705...that includes $150.00 for metallic paint and they are all metallic). Or a Premium version, which includes three packages. However, if you wish, you can order individual options or packages or combinations of options and packages. The "Packages" are just set sets of options (bundled) with some value added discounting versus if you'd ordered the contents of said package as individual options. I have the 2015 pricing matrix in front of me as I type. You can order in any configuration you desire, if within the rules....and if your dealer cares enough to know what to do. If he doesn't get another dealer.

Want radio, Headlight Pro, Modes Pro, Hill Assist, Chrome exhaust, accessory socket and cruise control..with NO ESA? Then the "value" way to go is Technology and Dynamic Packages and as a separate option, Cruise Control. You save around $1,000, but by not ordering the Comfort Package which contains ESA, you will lose some other items in the package, like heated seas. However, you can order the heated seat as a separate option for $350.00. If you want you can order a Base bike and just have ESA as a separate $950.00 option. Seems almost endless combos.

As I say, it is a matrix, so you should sit down with a qualified/interested BMW salesman to pick through the combinations for exactly what you want...for the best value package. If there a particular "build" you're interested in...let me know.
    I've seen a few posts that people have attached the price matrix, but I've not looked at it yet. I have not even had the chance to demo the new RT yet. The only thing that I think might be an issue for me is the handle bar reach. BMW built it so it's near impossible for anyone to make risers/bar backs for this bike. I'm getting my 05's fuel strip replaced at the dealer next Saturday, and I'm hoping they have the new shock installed in their demo unit by then. When I was there in June for tires, they just received the stop ride that day, and I couldn't ride it. The most I could do was play with the stereo.
    2005 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by droptine View Post
    I've seen a few posts that people have attached the price matrix, but I've not looked at it yet. I have not even had the chance to demo the new RT yet. The only thing that I think might be an issue for me is the handle bar reach. BMW built it so it's near impossible for anyone to make risers/bar backs for this bike. I'm getting my 05's fuel strip replaced at the dealer next Saturday, and I'm hoping they have the new shock installed in their demo unit by then. When I was there in June for tires, they just received the stop ride that day, and I couldn't ride it. The most I could do was play with the stereo.
    Well, don't forget the try out the emergency flashers...way cool!
    MOA #46783

Matrix

It would be really helpful if you would post the price matrix, or a link to the page.

Thanks.