Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1998 R1100RT transmission drain plug.

1998 R1100RT transmission drain plug.

Where is the drain plud for this bike's transmission? I've seen a few pictures but weren't very conclusive. Is it recessed in that deep hole behind the rear brake pedal? If so, do I just let the crap run out of that tunnel that leads to the plug? Or is there room to slide some foil or something in the hole to keep things clean as the oil runs out?

Thanks
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnslow View Post
    Where is the drain plud for this bike's transmission? I've seen a few pictures but weren't very conclusive. Is it recessed in that deep hole behind the rear brake pedal? If so, do I just let the crap run out of that tunnel that leads to the plug? Or is there room to slide some foil or something in the hole to keep things clean as the oil runs out?

Thanks
    Yes, the drain is located in a recessed hole assuming you're looking at the correct hole. I don't have an RT present to compare the brake pedal location with the drain but I do have a R1100R and the brake pedal is in that vicinity. Ideally you will also want to replace the 2 crush washers associated with the job. It can get a bit sloppy; a piece of foil might make it a bit cleaner. By the way use a 85/140 gear oil. A bit better than the 80/90 discussed in the manual. But nothing to lose sleep over.

You found it.
    Mine's slightly in front of the brake but I don't have an RT.
    I jam a piece of plastic or card under the channel to direct the used oil away from the exhaust.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

Yes, it's the drain plug at the back of that tunnel. BMW sells a tool that clips onto the midsection-end of the hole and directs the old fluid out past the foot plate. You can also take an old paper towel roll cardboard core and cut the end so it fits the tunnel and does the same thing. Also when draining take a square of aluminum foil and shove it in above the cat converter so drips don't wind up on the converter or exhaust pipe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

I use a small plastic soda bottle that I cut both ends off of and also cut it along its length. With this you can insert your hex wrench through the center while removing the drain plug.
    2004 R1150RT 151,500 miles , 1991 K100LT 128,000 miles, 1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
    Total 386,400 BMW miles
    AMA,BMWRA,BMWMOA
    The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by kioolt View Post
    I use a small plastic soda bottle that I cut both ends off of and also cut it along its length. With this you can insert your hex wrench through the center while removing the drain plug.
    BMW does not authorize plastic soda bottles being used as a tool!

RK Ryder
    Ok, so there's no oil drain pan (and I don't know why the pic isn't oriented properly). I went to the garage to show you what I use. It is simply a piece of clear hose that fits over the drain bolt area. I cut a piece of plastic to allow for the ratchet to be inserted. A reasonably clean way to drain the transmission oil.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

It's a smart move to ensure that the fill plug can be removed, BEFORE draining the transmission. If the old oil is drained and the fill plug is then found to be stuck, then you're left with an empty gearbox!

As described, use something (foil, cardboard, plastic bottle, hose, etc) to direct the draining oil away from the exhaust.

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    Ok, so there's no oil drain pan (and I don't know why the pic isn't oriented properly). I went to the garage to show you what I use. It is simply a piece of clear hose that fits over the drain bolt area. I cut a piece of plastic to allow for the ratchet to be inserted. A reasonably clean way to drain the transmission oil.
    Now that looks like the way to drain the box!! If you approve I shall take up your concept. I like it!!

Quote from Billy Walker

Ideally you will also want to replace the 2 crush washers associated with the job

Paul.... don't be alarmed if you don't find or cannot find a crush washer on your drain plug..........BMW didn't use them on the 99 model RT. I found this out at a tech seminar at Budds Motorad last year. I was told (by their head wrench puller) that if you did install a crush washer on the plug that it would leak. Funny.....I couldn't find a crush washer on the drainplug on my bike the last time I changed the tranny oil. I thought WTH ? they forgot it......so....I installed the plug with a crush washer......torqued the plug to specs.....and it never leaked.....go figure.....
    Should have had the seminar before I serviced the bike.

Cheers.....
    2000 R1100RT
    Niagara BMW Riders #298

BMWMCO #45

BTW.....I like your drain tube apparatus.........clever !!
    2000 R1100RT
    Niagara BMW Riders #298

BMWMCO #45

Thumbs up drain hose

+1 on the clear drain hose, works great, no mess. 1" ID hose.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post

Absolute genius.
    Too damn many bikes to list

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by snookers View Post
    Quote from Billy Walker
    Paul.... don't be alarmed if you don't find or cannot find a crush washer on your drain plug..........BMW didn't use them on the 99 model RT. I found this out at a tech seminar at Budds Motorad last year. I was told (by their head wrench puller) that if you did install a crush washer on the plug that it would leak. Funny.....I couldn't find a crush washer on the drainplug on my bike the last time I changed the tranny oil. I thought WTH ? they forgot it......so....I installed the plug with a crush washer......torqued the plug to specs.....and it never leaked.....go figure.....
    Should have had the seminar before I serviced the bike.
    Cheers.....
    I must have been sleeping as I was at the same seminar. However, I have always used a crush washer on the transmission bolts and have never had a leak (knock on wood).

Quote Originally Posted by snookers View Post
    BTW.....I like your drain tube apparatus.........clever !!

Quote Originally Posted by flymymbz View Post
    Absolute genius.
    Thank you, thank you, but I really can't take credit for this. It was posted a few years ago on this forum and I just adopted it.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

A video on how its done

Here is a video on my website of how to change the gear oil
    http://motofrog.net/videos/14-mechan...1100rt-gearbox

Hope it helps.
    -Ride Safe & Avoid Anyone On The Phone-
    **2000 R1100RT (Bullfrog), 1976 R90/6 (Tadpole)**
    beemerFROG a.k.a. Douglas E. Rost
    MotoFrog.net -- Black Frog Marketing