Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 23 of 23

Thread: New member from S.E. Pa

  1. #16
    Steve rockbottom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Carlisle, PA
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by PineGreen View Post
    I really like Rt 9 from Berkely Springs WV down through PawPaw. Then Rt 50 to Winchester Va and on to Rt 11 back to C-burg

    Agree but I have the same problem with WV 9 as with PA 30 from Fort Loudon to Breezewood: they're magnificent roads but on the weekends, your chances of getting stuck behind someone slow are very high, and there aren't many passing areas. I rode that section of 30 yesterday and was lucky to only get held up during the descent to the 522 intersection/McConnellsburg exit. Other than that, I was able to run freely.

    If anyone hasn't ridden that section of PA 30, it doesn't look like much on a map but it is--trust me. The section of WV 9 east of Berkeley Spring is also nice until about half way to Martinsburg.

  2. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Elverson, Pa
    Posts
    11
    Rockbottom,.....have you ever been on rt 74 from 944 north to Port Royal? I did that the other weekend. Another great road.

  3. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Elverson, Pa
    Posts
    11
    I'm gonna try Gold Mine road between 443 and 324 the next good weekend I have available. Any other good roads to try?

  4. #19
    Steve rockbottom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Carlisle, PA
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby RT View Post
    Rockbottom,.....have you ever been on rt 74 from 944 north to Port Royal? I did that the other weekend. Another great road.
    Maybe 300 times. Seriously. The 74/944 intersection is about a mile and half from my house.

    After you get to the 74/75 intersection, turn right on 75 until it intersections 35. Turn right and go about 6 miles then turn left on 235. Follow it all the way to the end. Another great one. Had to brake for a bear up there coming back from the MOA rally in Bloomsburg.

  5. #20
    Steve rockbottom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Carlisle, PA
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby RT View Post
    I'm gonna try Gold Mine road between 443 and 324 the next good weekend I have available. Any other good roads to try?
    233 from Mont Alto to Landisburg
    850 from Landisburg north to the intersection with 35
    641 from Newburgh west until it intersects with 522
    26 south from Everett
    997 from Roxbury to the intersection with 233
    994 from 26 to 522
    26 between Huntington and State College
    144 from Snow Shoe to Renovo
    120 from Renovo to Lock Haven
    447 from the intersection with 522 south of Lock Haven to the intersection with 192
    849 from Duncannon to the intersection with 34
    554 from Williamsport south to the intersection with 44
    14 from Trout Run to Canton
    154 from the intersection with 14 to the intersection with 220
    864 from Farragut to Picture Rock (if it's been paved in the last year)

  6. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Elverson, Pa
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
    233 from Mont Alto to Landisburg
    850 from Landisburg north to the intersection with 35
    641 from Newburgh west until it intersects with 522
    26 south from Everett
    997 from Roxbury to the intersection with 233
    994 from 26 to 522
    26 between Huntington and State College
    144 from Snow Shoe to Renovo
    120 from Renovo to Lock Haven
    447 from the intersection with 522 south of Lock Haven to the intersection with 192
    849 from Duncannon to the intersection with 34
    554 from Williamsport south to the intersection with 44
    14 from Trout Run to Canton
    154 from the intersection with 14 to the intersection with 220
    864 from Farragut to Picture Rock (if it's been paved in the last year)
    Thanks,
    You just made my Summer, I'm going to check them off one by one. By the way, you live close to Heaven. North of Carlisle has some great rural roads.

  7. #22
    Steve rockbottom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Carlisle, PA
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby RT View Post
    Thanks,
    You just made my Summer, I'm going to check them off one by one. By the way, you live close to Heaven. North of Carlisle has some great rural roads.
    I didn't learn to ride until I was 51. My location sure made it easier since I have easy access to roads with virtually no traffic other than morning and afternoon drive times, so I could concentrate on developing bike handling skills before working on threat management skills.

    I blog most longer rides at The Hexhead Diaries.

  8. #23
    Steve rockbottom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Carlisle, PA
    Posts
    807
    If you have a GPS, I've put my favorite stretches of Central Pennsylvania roads into an attached .gpx
    Attached Files Attached Files

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •