Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cancer Survivors Who ride

Paula, it is good to hear that you are getting your strength and stamina back and riding a bit!

I didn't post here initially because my diagnosis was "just" malignant melanoma. I had a freckle on my upper arm that increased in diameter very slowly over a period of about 10 years. My old doctor didn't think it was anything to worry about, but my new doc here in Oregon thought a biopsy was prudent. Luckily, the melanoma had not yet spread, although it was over 1 mm deep into the skin, which was a concern. I didn't require any chemo, but did require surgery and a sentinel node study back in late August 2013.

I was back on the DR in late September and felt pretty good until we rode some dirt roads in So. Utah. I had a couple of stupid mishaps on the dirt and realized that I was weak, deconditioned and fatigued. I was reluctant to ride because I was sore at the surgical sites and just didn't feel "right." In October, we took off for three weeks on the RT's. I was able to push myself a bit and felt good to be on the bike, but I was pretty tired at the end of the day. In retrospect, I am amazed to see how my strength and stamina has improved over the last few months. I didn't realize I was sick, but I did know that I didn't feel very good.
    Sharon
    '07 R1200RT (my favorite!); '12 Yamaha Super Tenere (El Gordo); '07 Suzuki DR650SE (!);
    '59 R 26 (my first)

Not a cancer survivor...

But, 15 years after my ninth heart surgery, I'm darned happy to still be here...

Bill Johnston

Quote Originally Posted by pdrysea View Post
    Hey, Kevin!

Confirmation from my lymphedema therapist that vibration CAN be beneficial. She cited some other examples and said "studies have shown that gentle vibration/bouncing to your body does help activate the lymphatic system. So, I could see how the vibrations from a motorcycle could help do the same thing" - and there you have the official word - RIDING IS THERAPY!

Of course she was a LITTLE unhappy to hear that I've been so tired trying to get back to full time at work that I have skipped some of my exercises on some days...

Gotta love it.
    I'll have to see if I can make motorcycle riding work on my taxes as a medical deduction. A little over one year since I stopped treatment. Took my first ride of 100 miles in March then headed to the Yukon in early June. Since then it's been a fairly normal riding year. There is life after cancer and it can be pretty darn good.
    Last edited by akbeemer; 01-07-2014 at 02:44 PM.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Arrghhhh!,

Just wrote a fairly long post and lost it. At any rate, I'm hanging in and will try to repost in the next day or two. I've got a nasty cold and have had enough for the day.
    Paula D
    2008 F800 ST "Sharona"
    Breast Cancer, 11/2012, Survivor!

Looking forward to your post.

HUGS!

Voni
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Quote Originally Posted by pdrysea View Post
    Just wrote a fairly long post and lost it.
    Chemo brain is real and lingers... or Annie keeps telling me.
    Kevin Huddy

Found out today I have shingles. Evidently not an uncommon occurrence during the recovery process. Doc prescribed an antiviral. How come the warnings on pill bottles never say, "Take with plenty of whiskey. May cause brief periods of brilliance?"
    Kevin Huddy

Got a shingles shot prior to the diagnosis, thankfully. One less thing to worry about!

I am back to work full time, but can't do much else. Before diagnosis this was an exhausting job -- so I'm not surprised that a lot of days I'm still in bed by 7:00. Stayed up until the late late hour of 8:00 last night and could hardly drag myself out of bed this morning... I am in better shape overall, the neuropathy is fading, and I'm TRYING to lose a few pounds. I am better at taking a lunch hour instead of working through it, but still need some practice on that.

Best moment of the week: sitting out on the back step in the sun on Saturday (63degrees!), watching my husband wash the car and eating an orange with the dog. She doesn't like oranges, but she's never sure if she'll change her mind about that in the next minute.

Otherwise I am doing well and looking forward to riding season!!
    Paula D
    2008 F800 ST "Sharona"

by the way...

"Found out today I have shingles. Evidently not an uncommon occurrence during the recovery process. Doc prescribed an antiviral. How come the warnings on pill bottles never say, "Take with plenty of whiskey. May cause brief periods of brilliance?"

When your shingles goes into remission - or whatever the proper term is - you can get the vaccine. Happened to my dad, which is what prompted us to get our shots.
    Paula D
    2008 F800 ST "Sharona"

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    I got my confirmation of Prostate Cancer during the Calgary motorcycle show this January. I am on the other side after having da Vinci assisted robotic surgery of the Prostate and Lymph nodes. I picked up an infection in the hospital that has had me quite sick for a week since but am now thinking/working on recovery. My surgeon didn't want to even discuss riding a motorcycle in the information sessions for post op recovery with patients and loved ones but really discounted it (riding) as trivial importance. I respect him greatly for his skill and will be forever grateful but now I have an uphill battle on the home front as well. Am I being unreasonable to shoot 8 weeks prior to attempting riding? Currently I am under orders to lift no more than 10 pounds which is a hair more than an RT.
    Last edited by bogthebasher; 03-31-2014 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Typo
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

Ken, here's hoping your recovery is quick and uneventful. Those post op infections can be a bigger set back than one can imagine. My advice on when to resume riding is that you will know yourself when it is time. Better to push then to sit at home in my opinion. I left the hospital in early February and started riding in late March. Of course, everyone has their own conditions.
    Kevin Huddy

You've got a lot to teach that doctor, don't you

Here's to healing well. Sharing helps.

Voni

Thank you for your kind words and advice. Yes the infection post op is the wild card since that is much more the current struggle than the initial issue and treatment and could extend the interval until I can really move around and begin strengthening myself again. Patience and a good attitude is required as I have seen many others here demonstrate.
    Ken

I appreciate you sharing that.

I wasn't aware that the recovery that needs to take place post cancer therapy is equally complex.

Glad you are here to educate us.

Voni
    sMiling

Infections are one of the biggest negative factors limiting to the success of all procedures in Canada as described in this article:

[URL="http://www2.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=0bc325b3-2013-46e6-bdf6-78805600e587"URL]

If anyone has an option as where their Cancer treatment is done - they owe it to themselves to visit a post operative unit at the hospital they are using.
    Ken