Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Credit cards at WA state gas station SNAFU

We've used the 'three numbers from your postal code plus 2 zeroes' tip successfully on our travels in the US for a couple of years now. It seems to work most everywhere. I think in our 3 week trip across the US to the west coast a couple of years ago there was only one place it didn't.

Credit Card / Gas station woes; next issue...

Nearly as difficult as the Zip Code issues that have been covered, is the 'one charge per day' limitation I have run into.

It appears that in (yet another) rule to protect ourselves from ourselves (and of course, fraud), some card merchants may only allow one charge per card per day. Well, while that is fine for commuters, and may RV's with mammoth-sized tanks, it can present a challenge to us.

Again, they MAY be able to handle the charge 'inside', but this may be a good reason to carry multiple cards, ...and of course cash, tho that still requires the 'inside' aspect of fueling.

Ride ON.
    Steve in Oregon
    The wind doesn't blow, ....low pressure sucks.

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada

Canadian Card Holder...

The adding of Postal Code numbers was working in some places but increasingly not. Like Paul mentioned, it is a corporate thing not state. It sure is a puzzle to me why they don't just use a PIN. It works up here...consistently and reliably. Maybe some oil companies are just using it as a market survey add on Have gotten into a number of modestly edgy discussions at stations where I had to hustle myself in to the counter, tell them how much I wanted (which I think is a very dumb question in the first place). Real PITA ! Out and pump, come back in, go back out. Why does it happen on a real hot day.....or is it just me - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

86 K75 chassis 114638
    +1
    Tried it the first time about 2 years ago and while not all the pumps require the zip code, those that do accept the numbers (minus the alpha) plus 2 zero's has worked without fail

Quote Originally Posted by clowry View Post
    We've used the 'three numbers from your postal code plus 2 zeroes' tip successfully on our travels in the US for a couple of years now. It seems to work most everywhere. I think in our 3 week trip across the US to the west coast a couple of years ago there was only one place it didn't.

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    I find when I travel out of my area I am frequently required to enter my zip, but not when I am close to home. Other that travel here do as well, I think it is a great way to ensure security and help prevent theft.

If mother government wants to track little old me as I have fun riding around the country side, more power too them. I almost would feel privileged that hey though I was that important enough, to be even noticed.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada

Pumps Unzipped...

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    I find when I travel out of my area I am frequently required to enter my zip, but not when I am close to home. Other that travel here do as well, I think it is a great way to ensure security and help prevent theft.

If mother government wants to track little old me as I have fun riding around the country side, more power too them. I almost would feel privileged that hey though I was that important enough, to be even noticed.

...I still think that a PIN would be more inclusive and efficient ..... but why start now eh? I got a chuckle in your second part because if it was important enough to 'whoever' to follow you around there are dozens of other ways to do that - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by WalterK75 View Post
    Any Canadians having this problem and how did you resolve it?
    I have travelled in about 40 of the US states and can not remember having a problem. I simply enter the first three digits of my postal code (drop the letters) and add 2 zeros. Works for me!
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    If I have to get off my bike to pump the gas, I'm riding on to the next gas station. That's one reason while I'll never own a bike with an underseat gas tank!

It is not a Washington State law or regulation to require the zip code. If you use a debit card, you enter your PIN number and not your zip code. In the event I drop my credit card, or lose my wallet, I'm glad my card can't be used to purchase gas unless the new "owner" happens to know my zip code.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold