Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31

Thread: Police officer pursuit on BMW

  1. #16
    Registered User greenwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    3,408
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyGrownup View Post
    awesome video. The officer can ride and talk. I have to ride slow when I am talking. Thanks for posting. It raised my heart rate just watching it. I wonder why officers don't wear 'All the gear'. Dress shirts seems a little dangerous at that speed. Also, I wonder if he could stay up on a hog.
    Rode H-D Road Kings for 7 years, 8 hrs. a day, as a Motor Officer - I could make that 'Hog' dance. Trust me - an experienced motor officer could replicate that entire pursuit on a Hog.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.)
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer,THE REF Staff)
    Iron Butt Association Member # 34281

  2. #17
    Registered User greenwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    3,408
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    There are motorcycle cops on here so they can confirm or clarify.

    I took a riding class from the police. My wife has a bad leg and never could easily toss her leg over the seat. The cop told her to mount/dismount from the right side like "all motorcycle police do." We tried it, and it works though at first it feels funny. Try it, you might like it.

    His reasoning was that the left side has you getting on and off closer to highway traffic.

    I have watched motor cops and all I've seen do it this way.
    Very true - a high-side dismount is away from traffic 90% of the time, so for us, it's habit.

    We also get off that way so that in the "heat of the moment," should we have neglected to snap down the side stand, 950 lbs. of bike falls away from us and not on our leg.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.)
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer,THE REF Staff)
    Iron Butt Association Member # 34281

  3. #18
    2011 R1200RT ka5ysy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Posts
    777
    From a practical point of view the highside mount/dismount is also very helpful to those vertically challenged folks with tall bikes. Mount up and dismount like a horse and you will not have to do the one-leg dance and scratch up side cases.

    Rob: See if your wife can mount from the left side by stepping up on the peg or whatever with her left foot and mounting the bike like it is a horse. It will be much easier. That also works quite well, and I use it all the time on the RT, and for sure on GSA bikes.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

  4. #19
    Registered User cehlbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Acworth, GA
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by mule View Post
    he raised his windscreen!
    i noticed that too. Almost like he knew what was coming!
    Chris Ehlbeck
    BMWMOA 168990
    Chris & Donna's Motorcycle Journeys

  5. #20
    Registered User cehlbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Acworth, GA
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    Very true - a high-side dismount is away from traffic 90% of the time, so for us, it's habit.

    We also get off that way so that in the "heat of the moment," should we have neglected to snap down the side stand, 950 lbs. of bike falls away from us and not on our leg.
    Training and muscle memory. The two above reasons are the same 2 were given even back in the late 80's at motor school. Especially the kickstand part, much better to have that bike fall away from you than on you. Do it the same way every time. I still mount and dismount on the right. Sometime on the old Kawasakis the kickstand might snap back if you kicked it out too hard. Then when we started the transition to the Harley FXRP (a SWEET motor) sometimes the kickstand wouldn't deploy fully all the way in the heat of the moment, but you did have to love that Harley locking kickstand though!
    Chris Ehlbeck
    BMWMOA 168990
    Chris & Donna's Motorcycle Journeys

  6. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    68
    I admire the training and teamwork involved in capturing the perp. Even more outstanding is the self control of the officers in not even considering pounding the stuffing out of that idiot for putting so many peoples lives at risk! Darn camera...

  7. #22
    Alps Adventurer GlobalRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Canada and the Alps
    Posts
    3,494
    Quote Originally Posted by OLSENSAN View Post
    Since that A-Hole put the officer at risk...
    As well as countless other drivers and pedestrians

    I think we should volunteer him for mine sweeping duty in some war zone...on foot. Boom...damn, so that is where that sucker was buried.

  8. #23
    Registered User tourunigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    3,282
    Quote Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
    From a practical point of view the highside mount/dismount is also very helpful to those vertically challenged folks with tall bikes. Mount up and dismount like a horse and you will not have to do the one-leg dance and scratch up side cases.

    Rob: See if your wife can mount from the left side by stepping up on the peg or whatever with her left foot and mounting the bike like it is a horse. It will be much easier. That also works quite well, and I use it all the time on the RT, and for sure on GSA bikes.

    Excellent video and quite riveting to watch. To the above point: My wife, Mary, is a 4'11" co-pilot and we have a '92 K1100LT. A long reach for this lady! Cure: mounted a cruise peg on left side, half way up the frame, and she basically does a two-step walk up the side from foot peg to cruise peg aaaaaaand over. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

  9. #24
    Out There Somewhere bmwrider88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    854

    Interesting!

    Nice Vid, and kudos to the officer/rider. It's reasonably well known that, even if you MIGHT outrun a car or bike, you'll never outrun a radio. Unlike some posters, I'm not much of one for advocating either beating up on, or taking civil rights away from people.

    For point A, it IS the 21st century. Cops beating people up unnecessarily is SO 1973. It really is NOT their job. Kudos to these guys for doing their job well and acting professionally.

    To address point B- rights... While I couldn't agree more that there are many problems with the American Judicial System, none of them are going to be solved by stripping US citizens of OUR civil (and other) rights.
    Just remember these rights serve YOU TOO. The fact of Civil Rights is one of THE primary differences between the USA and many other countries. It is the very foundation upon which this great nation was built. To suggest that civil rights are not deserved.... Or needed?
    Well. Maybe someone who holds himself to the absolute letter of every single law on the books can afford to be so careless as to think they don't need, and will never need their rights... But I doubt very seriously if that person exists in the real world.

    Anyway, thanks for posting that video!
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

  10. #25
    Ponch
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Fountain Hills AZ
    Posts
    774
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider88 View Post
    Nice Vid, and kudos to the officer/rider. It's reasonably well known that, even if you MIGHT outrun a car or bike, you'll never outrun a radio. Unlike some posters, I'm not much of one for advocating either beating up on, or taking civil rights away from people.

    For point A, it IS the 21st century. Cops beating people up unnecessarily is SO 1973. It really is NOT their job. Kudos to these guys for doing their job well and acting professionally.

    To address point B- rights... While I couldn't agree more that there are many problems with the American Judicial System, none of them are going to be solved by stripping US citizens of OUR civil (and other) rights.
    Just remember these rights serve YOU TOO. The fact of Civil Rights is one of THE primary differences between the USA and many other countries. It is the very foundation upon which this great nation was built. To suggest that civil rights are not deserved.... Or needed?
    Well. Maybe someone who holds himself to the absolute letter of every single law on the books can afford to be so careless as to think they don't need, and will never need their rights... But I doubt very seriously if that person exists in the real world.

    Anyway, thanks for posting that video!
    There's a difference between rights and law. Just saying. May be it's better to say that we act according to our own will, limited only by the same and therefore equal rights of others and not according to the tyrant's will, which can be law. Someone said something like this before and they understood liberty better than most of us.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

  11. #26
    Out There Somewhere bmwrider88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    There's a difference between rights and law. Just saying. May be it's better to say that we act according to our own will, limited only by the same and therefore equal rights of others and not according to the tyrant's will, which can be law. Someone said something like this before and they understood liberty better than most of us.
    I'm OK with that- but still not OK with the police beating up on people, or with denying U.S. citizens the premise of civil rights held forth within the U.S. Constitution.
    Just Saying.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

  12. #27
    Ponch
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Fountain Hills AZ
    Posts
    774
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider88 View Post
    I'm OK with that- but still not OK with the police beating up on people, or with denying U.S. citizens the premise of civil rights held forth within the U.S. Constitution.
    Just Saying.
    I never implied that it was ok.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

  13. #28
    Dum vivimus vivamus ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,574
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    I'm surprised that he didn't, at several points such as stop signs, hit reverse and ram his back bumper into the cop's bike. That would have disabled the bike and he'd have a good chance of getting away. Glad he didn't, and was caught. Must be something going on there, like a stolen car or outstanding warrants, etc.
    It probably has something to do with the difference between a hefty fine, loss of license and perhaps a short stint in county lock up, and an almost guaranteed quite lengthy prison sentence.
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

  14. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Kentucky
    Posts
    467
    Police are trained to show restraint as they should be

    There is nothing worse than people employed to protect our rights and then abusing them
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

  15. #30
    Administrator 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    12,402
    / mod hat on /

    Folks, this is just a thread about a cool chase video with a motor officer on his BMW. Let's keep it along those lines, and not drift into some of these side issues. This is not the place for that.

    Thanks!

    / mod hat off /
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •