Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 BMWMOA National Rally

Of all of the MOA rallies that I've attended, the Minnesota State Fairgrounds has almost as many trees as all of them combined. Shade shouldn't be a problem for most. If the fairgrounds open up a few buildings to campers (as many of them do), most of us will be able to camp in the shade.

Being a native, as the event draws near I am going to start a thread for out-of-towners to ask questions pertaining to local culture, food and beer. The Twin Cities is home to many microbreweries and many, many great restaurants. Como Park Zoo is close by and the AA series St. Paul Saints baseball team is within easy walking distance of the fairgrounds. Lots to do here, folks.
    -K
    Kevin Kocur, #58836
    2001 F650GS, 1995 R1100GS, 1988 K100RS
    BMW Motorcycle Owners Club of Minnesota 2014 President

Great news to hear. Maybe Aerostitch will actually be onsite for this rally, or better yet a ride to Duluth in the offing. Look forward to hearing more details.

Quote Originally Posted by twofastdogs View Post
    Being a native, as the event draws near I am going to start a thread for out-of-towners to ask questions
    What streets border the Fairgrounds?
    Looking at Google Maps, it's hard to tell what areas are within the grounds.

http://goo.gl/maps/nuQ6U

View Larger Map
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

The major roads are Como Ave on the south and Snelling Ave on the east. There really aren't roads to speak of on the other sides...houses and stuff.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

The Minnesota State Fairgrounds is like city within a city. Pretty much that whole square plus more is the fairgrounds.

Snelling on the east, Como on the south, U of M St. Paul Campus on the west side, you can see the designation.

Some of the other streets, i.e. Dan Patch, Carnes, Judson, Underwood, as examples are all within the bounds of the fairgrounds.

With the size of the grounds, and the number of buildings within, it will be interesting to see how the rally is contained. Bear in mind during state fair time at the end of August through Labor Day, it's not uncommon to have 100,000+ visitors...daily.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

Thanks Kurt and Brad.
    Is the area that looks like a compost site the north boundry?
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878

I haven't been to the fair in years, but from the satellite image, my guess is that Randall Ave, just north of the stadium is getting near the end of the fairgrounds. There's a nice green area north of that which might be used for camping. Also NW of the stadium are more buildings with names associated with Dairy Cattle Teaching and Research Facility, Commercial Student Organic Farm, etc., that are probably part of the bigger area of the fairgrounds when the fair isn't going on. I would think they would try and keep the rally into the SE corner at Como and Snelling and up to the stadium.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Thanks Kurt and Brad.
    Is the area that looks like a compost site the north boundry?
    It's not a perfect square. Hoyt Avenue would be the north border street. The area to the west of Hoyt and north of Randall I *think* is part of the University of Minnesota. It looks like there's some construction going on in the satellite picture.

Also, the " Dairy Cattle Teaching and Research Facility, Commercial Student Organic Farm" that Kurt mentioned are part of the University of Minnesota's St. Paul campus, aka "farm college". They're adjacent, but definitely not part of the fairgrounds.

Like I said, it's really like a small town. It should be an interesting rally. There are a lot of green areas for camping, including much of which is used for car parking during the fair. They also have a real campground with hookups that could be used for RV's.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

Thanks again Kurt and Brad. We're only 300 miles away, so we'll go if work allows.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878

Quote Originally Posted by bmw_rider View Post
    Maybe Aerostitch will actually be onsite for this rally, or better yet a ride to Duluth in the offing. Look forward to hearing more details.
    Hmmmm......I could probably arrange a ride to there. Figure in roughly 2.5 hours, one way. I'm also considering a micro-brewery tour, which the Twin Cities has a fair amount of (which would also involve renting a bus). Looks like I have some work to do.
    -K
    Kevin Kocur, #58836
    2001 F650GS, 1995 R1100GS, 1988 K100RS
    BMW Motorcycle Owners Club of Minnesota 2014 President

Kevin,
    I'm in for that microbrew tour with a bus.
    Sharon - WI Club
    1999 R1100R
    Really freakin' short 2007 F650GS
    2014 - Selling 92R100RT with EML sidecar and going to buy a 700GS Twin

"Yes-sir-ree" !!!.... bus me 2 beer,

.... cause I'll "catch" the stich shop on the lake circle tour on the way in to the big show! They sometimes hold a lunch / open house on the Tue & Wed
    before the rally anyhow; herding in a many of us as we approach the rally.

"travel'in" john

I'm in on the beer bus. who's the music going to be? Prince or Dylan? Their both from minnesota.
    95 R100Rt, 07 650 GS
    Mike
    Eagle, wi
    "He's gone and nothin gone bring him back"

Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Quote Originally Posted by 179219 View Post
    ...join me in a "high noon" toast thanking Ted for his "communication" with the membership! Now the many of us enroute to/from Salem can
    set a course to "flyby" next years rally site for a quick "look-see"; a familiarity ride around the joint; may even bury a cache.
    And dosen't highway 12 look good between MN & OR!
    Thanks for the comment on Hwy 12. Looks like a possible return trip route from Salem, which keeps me up North in hopefully cooler temps, rather than down through Utah and across Colorado through Kansas.....Walt E.