Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 BMWMOA National Rally

Thank you Ted! The MN state fairgrounds are about 90 miles from my house. Looks like a ride around Lake Superior to get there!

Quote Originally Posted by PGLAVES View Post
    Well, I guess there ought to be plenty of hotel rooms. The Fairgrounds at the intersection of Lexington and Como is almost in the very middle of the metro area with a population of 3.3 million people. It's been a while, if ever, that BMW MOA had an urban rally.
    Actually, it's Snelling and Como. But, yeah, just to the east of Minneapolis proper and just to the west of St. Paul proper. Quite urban. Should be interesting. The Minnesota State Fairgrounds is really like its own small town.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

Ahh, the Fairgrounds, Como Park Zoo...I remember it well...er, as well as 40 years ago! My grandparents lived within a stone's throw of both places!!
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by chasman View Post
    MN State Fairgrounds...many great roads to get there...cool temps.
    I hope your are right on the temps, last year at the RA rally in Chippewa Falls it was over 100 in early July.

I was at the 2011 rally in Chippewa Falls. We camped...it was hot. Record temps for most of the country that summer. Still, had a great time there and at Bloomsburg a few weeks later.
    Chuck Manley #12106
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Ambassador, Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '13 R12GSA (the Outlaw), Black '02 K12RS (157K)

Awesome....lived in White Bear Lake for 15 years before my exile to Iowa. Just a 4hr cruise to get to the fairgrounds...and they are nice! Like Paul G. my first thought was geez, it'll take a little ride time to get out of St. Paul to hit some nice roads. Definitely some nice roads along the St.Croix river valley north/south of Stillwater, MN. Western WI has lots of good stuff close too.

Looking forward to it.
    98 R1200C Canyon Red

AH... The summer of eleven...

.... It was "mostly" a pleasure to have joined many of you at both; though it was tough at times (many)! We'll never forget will we.
    Hey, that will (temp's) NOT happen again.... I'm guessing! .

Cool Happen Again? Art You Kidding?

Yes, the summer of '11...a memory for certain! Camping next to the Beer Garden (at both rallies) a long with the inflatable swimming pool at both rallies saved the day!!! HEY, you do what you have to do to stay COOL!!!

RALLY on DUDES!
    Chuck Manley #12106
    2012 Howlin' at the Moon Rally Chair
    Ambassador, Knights of the Roundel #333, IBA Member, Life Member NRA
    Black '13 R12GSA (the Outlaw), Black '02 K12RS (157K)

Does Garrison Keillor ride a BMW?

apvkt
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwroadsterca View Post
    Can anyone confirm that the 2014 rally would be July 17 - 20???

thanks
    mike
    Hi guys,
    I am also having the same doubt whether it would happen soon. Because i am very interested in attending the automotive rally and eagerly waiting for the date. Can anyone share the complete details??

This previous post:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...l=1#post870265

said that it was going to be the following week, July 24-27.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Outstanding! My home town, and only 400 miles from where I'm based (Chicago).

Schweet!
    2008 R12R
    2009 HD Ultra Classic

It will be nice....

I'm in agreement with you tvtommy... possibly for some of the same reasons. The cost of attendance to the region of said rally!
    I know your bike shipping & amtrack train ticket will be expensive to Salem.... same as my "operational" costs riding round trip, even
    from the Midwest; those from over East really rack up the bottom line! I just made some ferry reservations through the pacific northwest's
    San Juan Islands off Washington State/British Columbia while in that rally region.... including lodging; the train looks like a bargain!

I love a good July "western ride" and all that goes with it, but a jaunt up the great river road & around a lake will be cool.... I hope.....

Travel'in John

Here's some info from a friend of mine that lives in the area:

The average day time temps in July run in the low to mid 80s, but what kills you is the humidity levels, often in the 60 degree+ dew point range which feels tropical even late into the evening hours, especially in the metro area. Out near the lakes and rivers the temps and dew points feel much lower, but the mosquitoes can carry you away! DEET is your best friend in MN during the summer months!

Bob Morrow
    Purveyor of Fine Tarmac
    Expresso Riders MOA#340

Quote Originally Posted by tallyho View Post
    Here's some info from a friend of mine that lives in the area:

The average day time temps in July run in the low to mid 80s, but what kills you is the humidity levels, often in the 60 degree+ dew point range which feels tropical even late into the evening hours, especially in the metro area. Out near the lakes and rivers the temps and dew points feel much lower, but the mosquitoes can carry you away! DEET is your best friend in MN during the summer months!

Much of the comment can be very accurate. When you talk to a Minnasnowton about the weather any time of year keep in mind we like legends like Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue OX, Viking rune stones and more. Wait a day and the weather can change drastically. A week ago we had 4.5 inches of snow. Saturday it was mid 70's - low 80s. Tomorrow we are expecting snain.

Temps in the rally period normally run between mid 70-mid 80 range with higher temps possible. Yes we have periods of high humidity but they don't last very long. The fair grounds have plenty of wonderful shade trees. There are many places to visit and enjoy in the metro area that have ac, beaches to enjoy and more.

We joke that the misquote is the state bird but at the fair grounds it should be more legend than major concern. After all our real state bird is the Loon.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune