Thread: 88 r100rt

88 r100rt

Hello airheads.Came across a 1988 r100rt today 4sale. Needing some advice.Bike has 54k miles. Not much known for records. Owner says previous changed fork seals and rebuilt carbs. Current owner owned bike for about 3 yrs and put 15k on it with oil changes only. Ran well up until last fall when it left him on road. Tracked it down to a charging issue. He cleaned and checked the brushes said ok. So bike has still has charging issue. The gen light is also out. Asking 2000 for it. Seems like a good buy. Comments please.

The gen light is certainly key to the charging issue. Either the light is out or the ground path through the rotor is not there. It's easy enough to test this.

Sounds like a great price if there's no other hidden issues.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Thanks Kurt. I also did notice the speedo and tach lights were not working. Maybe the charging issue is
    the board for the gen/instrument lights.I'm sure there's some hidden things. There are some oil leakage also. But for the price there's some room for some hidden surprises.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird1150 View Post
    Thanks Kurt. I also did notice the speedo and tach lights were not working. Maybe the charging issue is
    the board for the gen/instrument lights.I'm sure there's some hidden things. There are some oil leakage also. But for the price there's some room for some hidden surprises.
    Just make sure there's enough room. I'm only speaking from the experience of buying a used airhead and having to catch up on a lot of maintenance and repair.
    $2K is not a bad number, but at least the current owner is honest about what he's done, which sounds like very little.

Good Luck.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

Started to make my maintenance caught up list tonight. Are dealers the way to go for parts?or is there a good aftermarket place to order?

Are you near a dealer? You'd be surprised the relationship you can develop if you visit them frequently. I've had a few parts handed to me gratis just because I'm a regular customer.

As for on-line full range of parts, you could try:

- MaxBMW
    - Bob's BMS
    - BMW Hucky
    - Vech at Benchmark Works (mostly /2 and earlier but carries later stuff, too)
    - Capital Cycle (used to be quite popular...not so much now)
    - Beemerboneyard

I probably missed a few. Don't forget the Resources and Links thread.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!