Thread: Intercom for two riders taking trip together?

Intercom for two riders taking trip together?

I am not sure about any of this, but are there such things like "walkie-talkies" for bikers that will have ear pieces that will allow them to talk to each other but do it cheaply?

Cheaply... doubtful. We've had good luck with Sena Bluetooth units. Good luck with the cheap part.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Go with the Sena SMH10. You can get the dual pack for $285.00 - you'll be able to do more than just a walkie talkie.
    SABMWRA MOA #62
    2005 BMW R1200RT
    2008 Honda CBR1000RR LE
    1984 Kawasaki 750 Turbo E1

I have seen some 'cheap' ($79.00+-) hand held radios that have a corded earpiece and microphone, the type you would hook overr your ear. Don't know how well they would work with the interfearence (sp?) given off by the bikes electrical system. Maybe some hand held CB radios with ear pieces.? Put the unit in your jacket pocket?

Look here http://midland.factoryoutletstore.co...FQWCnQod9GsAMg
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Talking to each other

I went with the Sena SMH 5. They work great for me. They are anywhere $199.00 to about $220.00. Got mine from Revzilla. People there were very helpful. Went right into the helmet. Took me about 20-25 minutes per helmet. Good luck. I also have them paired with my iPhone, GPS, and iPod. They work slick and the pairing is easy to do.

+1 for the smh 5. And for revzilla. Very pleased with both. However, i do have some HD riding friends that use walkie talkies for bike to bike. I don t know much about the system, but they seem content with it.

sena ++++++

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Whatever you get, it might be a good idea for you and your riding partner to sort out in advance how you'll use them. I enjoy riding, and the ability to communicate transformed the experience with one buddy. But I rode over the Great Lakes from Vermont to Minnesota with another who simply never shut up! Having my head filled with non-stop gossipy chatter - which continued at the campfire till he fell asleep - was a major downer. I ended up turning it off and pretending it had failed. I was glad to part company in Wisconsin.

Ground rules would have helped.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Rally Rat
    I picked up a set of the Scala Q2's used for $150 ($75 per unit) and have been happy with them. Not as user friendly maybe as the SENA but can link to phone and 2 other headsets. My wife has one in her helmet and I have one in mine, we can talk to each other and can each link to our phones (if we want to). I bought the MP3 capable mount for my helmet which allows me to hardwire to my GPS which has MP3 capability. This allows me to hear direction and music through the headset, and turns off the music when the phone rings. On trips "with the guys" I can link to 2 other riders but you have to toggle between the 2, no "conferance" conversations with the Q2, so someone gets left out of the conversation. Not an issue if you are riding with just one other person.

Like I said, not the latest and greatest, but they were cheap enough and do most of what I wanted in a headset.

use radios for less expensive comm set

You can use simple hand held radios, with a set of speakers/microphones and push to talk connectors from www.planetheadset.com/helmet-headset.php for about $69 plus the radios. You could also just try the headsets that come with most good handheld radios which include voice activation, or just buy the push to talk button to work with them. My experience has been that the voice activation is too sensitive to use on a bike. Good luck!

Sena10

We have four bikes travelling sometimes and this Sena hooks all together. Wireless music and much more. I phone. Money is an issue, think it out first. Getting the right stuff pays dividends. Randy

I see a lot of positive comments here for the Sena. Wish I had read those before I bought Scala. Our experience with Scala has been like this: "Are you there? Okay I hear you now...wait, hello, hello, is anyone there? There you are....wait, hello?" You get the picture. It would have been quicker to learn American Sign Language...
    2013 F700 GS
    Ostra Metallic Gray
    A boy lies in the grass unmoving staring at the sky...

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    {snip}...But I rode over the Great Lakes from Vermont to Minnesota with another who simply never shut up!...{snip}
    So...next time give Barley a Greenie. That'll shut him up for a while!
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by kurtnocal View Post
    I see a lot of positive comments here for the Sena. Wish I had read those before I bought Scala. Our experience with Scala has been like this: "Are you there? Okay I hear you now...wait, hello, hello, is anyone there? There you are....wait, hello?" You get the picture. It would have been quicker to learn American Sign Language...
    We had that issue with our first set, the Team Set, which was just rider to passenger. The Q2's have not been a problem. Seems there was a pairing issue with the Team Set, and I had to continually re-pair them. I ended up giving them to a buddy who is legally deaf, and just wanted to pair to a phone with ear buds, not use the speakers/intercom, so he was happy.