Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Back of the Dragon Day 2013

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.

Back of the Dragon Day 2013

It will be June 1st. in Tazewell, Va. The Monster Stunt Team will be one of the main attractions. Come and join us here in the mountains. Information is at http://backofthedragon.com/events.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Back of the Dragon Day 2013

Where is the Back of the Dragon, the Tail of the Dragon and the Claw of the Dragon?
    Are they part of the same Dragon (the VA Dragon, not the Tenn Dragon)? How many bikes show up on Dragon Day?
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by 13278 View Post
    Where is the Back of the Dragon, the Tail of the Dragon and the Claw of the Dragon?
    Are they part of the same Dragon (the VA Dragon, not the Tenn Dragon)? How many bikes show up on Dragon Day?
    Charlie
    Back of the Dragon is Rt 16 between Marion, Va and Tazewell, Va. Last year, the spring Back of the Dragon day had a couple of thousand bikes in Tazewell. The Rally was held downtown on Main Street (small town you know). The Claw of the Dragon was a group of rides put together by neighboring Wythe County. I don't know that there is actually a Claw. Tail of the Dragon is a totally separate thing and was the first with the Dragon name. The Dragon part was a copycat idea. I was outvoted.

You should come down and visit. I lived in Lynchburg for 11 years and it is only a 2.5 hour ride on 4 lane roads.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Road looks like this.

We did a car trip to Virginia last week (the wife won't ride on my motorcycle). I did the "Back of the Dragon" in the car, and the above photograph is a good one: some of those curves are completely blind, with rock walls very close to the pavement, and the "15 mph" advisory sign is appropriate. I was ahead of a guy on a GS and pulled off at my first opportunity to allow him to enjoy the road as it was meant to be, on a motorcycle!

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by SBAIINE View Post
    Road looks like this.

I was standing at this very spot, above Hungry Mother State Park, just a few short days ago. When the sign indicates curves with a 15 MPH speed "suggestion" for three miles ahead, in either direction- you've found motorcycle Nirvana!

So that's The Back Of The Dragon? Sweet. We didn't ride all of it, we'd come down VA 42 (a fantastic long running road, BTW) to 16, turned left, and took 16 into Marion. WHERE we managed to seek out THE only mom-n-pop diner in all of Marion- near as we could tell.

The AppleTree restaurant.
    Address: 1050 Virginia 16, Marion, VA 24354
    Phone: (276) 782-9977
    Hours: 8:00 am?8:00 pm - 7 days a week.

If you're passing through Marion, stop by and check them out. We had breakfast. Food was good, and the people friendly.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

I was on VA-16 last fall and that is one awesome road!
    Dallas
    2011 R1200GS Adventure
    Smoke Grey Metallic Matt

Forecast for the Back of the Dragon Day next Saturday is partly cloudy with a high of 81. Hope it doesn't change and hope to see you there.

Missed a nice one

Thousands of motorcycles on a beautiful day with a good Monster stunt team, good music and good food. There were Can Am Spyder and Victory demo rides. We had a cleanly swept Back of the Dragon with good pavement. The thing that was missing was BMW motorcycles. The European bike contingent consisted mostly of Triumphs.

http://www.wvva.com/story/22477958/2...the-dragon-day

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    Thousands of motorcycles on a beautiful day with a good Monster stunt team, good music and good food. ..................... The thing that was missing was BMW motorcycles. .................................................
    That is because we are smart enough to show up when it is deserted and have a spirited ride over some great pavement. I don't ride the GAP anymore, even when a few miles from it. Too many great roads with no traffic, no unreasonable speed limits or LEO's laying in wait, all through the Smokey's.

When I ran it a month ago, I had one car pull over for me, other than that NO traffic, just the way I like it!
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

smross44

Dragons

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    That is because we are smart enough to show up when it is deserted and have a spirited ride over some great pavement. I don't ride the GAP anymore, even when a few miles from it. Too many great roads with no traffic, no unreasonable speed limits or LEO's laying in wait, all through the Smokey's.

When I ran it a month ago, I had one car pull over for me, other than that NO traffic, just the way I like it!
    I live 1.5 hours from the gap. South. I will go to social but there are so many great roads surrounding as stated. 28, 129, 215, 107, 209, 208, 64, 143....I could go on forever. Less traffic, some with Zero.
    The BMW dealer in Asheville has a fantastic map of the roads enlarged on their wall. Unfortunately it was done privately. We are trying to get him to go public with it.
    Ride safe.

Quote Originally Posted by smross44 View Post
    The BMW dealer in Asheville has a fantastic map of the roads enlarged on their wall. Unfortunately it was done privately. We are trying to get him to go public with it.
    Ride safe.

Damn, I should have asked them to take it down when I was there, if it had any of the smaller less known stuff, I like.

I personally like the GAP exists and its publicity, it keeps the clowns and pirates all clustered in one place, they are easier to avoid that way. BTW, the GAP has 220 turns at most, not close to 318 unless you count every wiggle Bubba the solid double yellow guy made as he sipped his Busch light, while painting the road.
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike

Quote Originally Posted by smross44 View Post
    I live 1.5 hours from the gap. South. I will go to social but there are so many great roads surrounding as stated. 28, 129, 215, 107, 209, 208, 64, 143....I could go on forever. Less traffic, some with Zero.
    Ride safe.

I'm with PFFOG in wondering why in the world you want everyone to know all the great roads around Deal's Gap!
    Keep that to yourselves down there. Anyone smart enough, WILL figure it out on their own.
    Keep the knuckleheads on one road, and save the better roads for US!

NOW- back to VA 16- awesome, and next time I'm down there, I'll make it a point to ride from Tazewell to Marion, instead of just riding half of it. (Tho I have to put in a word for VA 42- NICE LONG road with nobody on it)
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider88 View Post
    NOW- back to VA 16- awesome, and next time I'm down there, I'll make it a point to ride from Tazewell to Marion, instead of just riding half of it. (Tho I have to put in a word for VA 42- NICE LONG road with nobody on it)
    We have a lot of good roads down here but 16 is just the easiest one to direct people to. VA 42 is a nice long road but it is so straight (compared to most around here) because it runs down a valley. Next time you're down this way, stop at the tourism center at Exit 35 off of I-81 and pick up some maps for some really good rides that will take you into WV, TN, NC and just a touch of KY.

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    ............. VA 42 is a nice long road but it is so straight (compared to most around here) because it runs down a valley...............

I think the 42 reference was tongue-in-cheek.
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike