Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Ordered a Schuberth C3 Pro and BMW Bluetooth communicator

  1. #1
    RAINEY 187132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    128

    Ordered a Schuberth C3 Pro and BMW Bluetooth communicator

    I just ordered the C3 Pro and the newest BMW Bluetooth system for the helmet. Once the BMW system comes in my dealer is going to send it to Schubert to have it installed by them.Neither of us wanted to tear apart a new $750.00 helmet to install the system. I wanted this set up to seamlessly work with my R1200RT audio system for music and navigation. I will keep you all posted on how the system works. After spending that kind of money I hope to get the outcome I want.

    Jason
    Jason
    Grand rapids, MI
    2012 BMW R1200RT

  2. #2
    Registered User lkchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    4,801
    Reading between the lines of other posts here and talking to my service advisor, I've learned that the firmware for the BMW unit can be updated--by the dealer service department only. So, I'd think when purchasing a new one, first thing might be to have this done. Well, maybe after installed in the helmet--dealer wanted mine fully charged before I brought it in. Same connector for updating as for charging.

    I have no idea what the update accomplishes, but always have the latest is the best approach these days, I'm sure.

    I'm currently "in transition" with mine, as I've just converted from NAV IV direct to helmet to listening to NAV IV via BMW radio that I didn't have in previous bike but now have in the new one.

    So a problem I've had is that I have Sena SR10 to transmit my radar detector signals to helmet. It works, but when activated completely blocked out the NAV IV. Still awaiting testing with new units and now new firmware.

    Have also located a WAY cheaper bluetooth transmitter than Sena SR10 which I might try
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
    Kent Christensen
    21482
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

  3. #3
    Registered User wmchardy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    S/W Missouri
    Posts
    25

    C3 Pro and BMW Com

    Jason,

    I, too, am very curious to hear how this goes. I am considering the same set-up for my GTL. Have you worn a standard C3 in the past? I'm curious to hear a comparison of the C3 and the Pro. In the standard C3, I find the large a little too snug and the XL...well, it's huge, like a Jack-in the-Box head. Lol. I have heard the Pro model is slightly more "roomier" than the standard C3 in the same size. Also, doesn't the BMW com system install just like the Schuberth com system? The Schuberth system didn't look all that complcated.

    Looking forward to your observations.

    Will McHardy

  4. #4
    Registered User sgreen0313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    28
    A couple of weeks ago I purchased a K1600GTL (my first BMW bike), Schuberth helmets and BMW Communicators for the missues and me. The dealer didn't want to do the install the same day, so I ended up doing them myself using the instructions they came with. I'm not a patient man. ;-) It took about 90 minutes to do both. The second one went much faster than the first. It was very simple to do, just a little time consuming. I went back and forth for a few days between the SRC and the BMW communicators and decided to go "all in" and purchased the BMWs. I'm very pleased with my choice. One of the main advantages is being able to interact with the helmet via the hand wheel, in addition to the other features that other brands can do.

    I asked the dealer about the firmware update because I had read about it on the K1600 forums. They weren't aware of it, but ordered the cable to do it. When the cable arrived it was a serial cable, which wouldn't work with their PCs (they didn't have serial ports). I gave them a serial to USB cable that I had laying around and they were able to use that to update our helmets, which took about 15 minutes (for both). The update provided some significant improvements in audio quality, control responsiveness, etc. I'm very pleased with both the helmets and the communicators. It was quite a bit of cash to drop, but worth it in the end. The C3 is super quiet on the road and has great airflow. It's also very comfortable. We've had our bike for only just over a week and are already pushing 700 miles. I've heard that others didn't like the fit of the C3 so YMMV.
    Stephen
    2013 K1600GTL (Mineral Silver)
    Los Angeles, CA
    USMC Veteran

  5. #5
    RAINEY 187132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    128
    Stephen,
    Thanks for the great response with the details. I am looking forward to getting mine. I spoke with my dealer today and I should have my helmet next week. You were a little more brave than I was by doing it yourself.
    Jason
    Grand rapids, MI
    2012 BMW R1200RT

  6. #6
    RAINEY 187132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by wmchardy View Post
    Jason,

    I, too, am very curious to hear how this goes. I am considering the same set-up for my GTL. Have you worn a standard C3 in the past? I'm curious to hear a comparison of the C3 and the Pro. In the standard C3, I find the large a little too snug and the XL...well, it's huge, like a Jack-in the-Box head. Lol. I have heard the Pro model is slightly more "roomier" than the standard C3 in the same size. Also, doesn't the BMW com system install just like the Schuberth com system? The Schuberth system didn't look all that complcated.

    Looking forward to your observations.

    Will McHardy
    Hello Will
    I haven't had a Schuberth in the past so I don't have anything to compare the fitment to. Do you have a dealer near by where you can try on the C3 Pro's?

    Jason
    Jason
    Grand rapids, MI
    2012 BMW R1200RT

  7. #7
    Registered User sgreen0313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by 187132 View Post
    Stephen,
    Thanks for the great response with the details. I am looking forward to getting mine. I spoke with my dealer today and I should have my helmet next week. You were a little more brave than I was by doing it yourself.
    My pleasure. Good luck!
    Stephen
    2013 K1600GTL (Mineral Silver)
    Los Angeles, CA
    USMC Veteran

  8. #8
    beemerFROG derost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Woodstock, IL
    Posts
    254

    Just got mine...

    I just received my C3 Pro and after 250 miles, I have to say that I am now convinced I have NEVER had a helmet that fit. This thing in UNBELIEVABLE! Quiet, comfortable, and the airflow is crazy. Even behind an RT windshield half way up, just taping the chin vent floods the inside with air.
    -Ride Safe & Avoid Anyone On The Phone-
    **2000 R1100RT (Bullfrog), 1976 R90/6 (Tadpole)**
    beemerFROG a.k.a. Douglas E. Rost
    MotoFrog.net -- Black Frog Marketing

  9. #9
    BMW Rider
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by derost View Post
    I just received my C3 Pro and after 250 miles, I have to say that I am now convinced I have NEVER had a helmet that fit. This thing in UNBELIEVABLE! Quiet, comfortable, and the airflow is crazy. Even behind an RT windshield half way up, just taping the chin vent floods the inside with air.
    Schuberth makes a nice helmet. I am uncomfortable with the fact that the full face is a flip. Flip fronts have been shown to pop open sometimes in hard impacts. I don't know if every brand flip faces that possibility but I can't help but think a normal one-piece full face provides for more safety potentially. I've been a full face Arai fan for years and the only helmet I will wear is a full face. Anybody out there ever experience a Schuberth open in a crash?

  10. #10
    One Man Wolfpack Kent Niederhofer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    West Bloomfield, MI
    Posts
    188

    Schuberth C3 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by billy walker View Post
    Schuberth makes a nice helmet. I am uncomfortable with the fact that the full face is a flip.
    Schuberth also makes and imports two full face helmets without the flip-up feature -- the SR-1 and the S2.

    Kent

  11. #11
    BMW Rider
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent Niederhofer View Post
    Schuberth also makes and imports two full face helmets without the flip-up feature -- the SR-1 and the S2.

    Kent
    Was not aware of that. I've never seen one of those.

  12. #12
    A bozo on the bus deilenberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Spring Lake NJ, USA
    Posts
    7,735
    Quote Originally Posted by billy walker View Post
    Schuberth makes a nice helmet. I am uncomfortable with the fact that the full face is a flip. Flip fronts have been shown to pop open sometimes in hard impacts. I don't know if every brand flip faces that possibility but I can't help but think a normal one-piece full face provides for more safety potentially. I've been a full face Arai fan for years and the only helmet I will wear is a full face. Anybody out there ever experience a Schuberth open in a crash?
    FWIW - there is a UK testing site that has tested many flip-face helmets. They do test to see if a flip might might open in a crash. If I remember correctly - the Schuberth Concept was one which did not open in a crash. The locking mechanism in the chin section is ALL metal, not plastic. The chin-piece is a substantial piece, not just a cover. I also have never heard of one opening in a crash, or anyone experiencing the chin section failing in a crash. I have heard good to glowing reports on the Concept's performance in crashes.

    To me - it's not a concern, at all.

    You'll probably hear now from people saying "Well -Snell hasn't tested one.." - which is not quite accurate. They actually have tested (and approved) one flip-face helmet (not a Schuberth so far.) And the reason they haven't tested others is the manufacturer must pay the cost of the testing and certification (and in return can use the Snell name in advertising and on a tag inside the helmet.) So far - the majority of flip face helmet manufacturers have not seen any benefit to having Snell test their helmets.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

  13. #13
    Ozzie Flyer
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    164

    Flip Helmet Safety

    Australian Standards have successfully tested several Flip helmets, BMW, Schoei, Nolanand others, but not Schubert. I think the Flip helmet scare is an old wives tale.
    best regards
    Paul
    regards
    Paul
    Ozzie Flyer
    BE KIND TO HUMANS... THEY BITE

  14. #14
    BMW Rider
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by pch123 View Post
    Australian Standards have successfully tested several Flip helmets, BMW, Schoei, Nolanand others, but not Schubert. I think the Flip helmet scare is an old wives tale.
    best regards
    Paul
    Actually flip's opening is a fact albeit a rare one. I have no doubt my head drives me towards a one-piece as opposed to 2-piece.

    Checked out the Schuberth 1-piece through internet pictures and they do look nice. I think I like the concept of tight neck rolls for all the reasons discussed in those reviews. I'm not sure my head in particular is worth the $900 nor am I sure I can pull myself away from the Arai's. I have never purchased a helmet minus a SNELL sticker and that goes all the way back to the Bell Star when those retailed out at $59.95 so that's another head issue of mine.

    One helmet I do miss is the old full face Simpson vented pig snouts. Super light and looked very different back in the day. Also, super expensive but I pony'd up for one of them and loved it. Perhaps I need time for the idea of owning a Schuberth to meld into my mindless mind. I need time to think...

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    98

    Wish I had known

    Quote Originally Posted by 187132 View Post
    I just ordered the C3 Pro and the newest BMW Bluetooth system for the helmet. Once the BMW system comes in my dealer is going to send it to Schubert to have it installed by them.Neither of us wanted to tear apart a new $750.00 helmet to install the system. I wanted this set up to seamlessly work with my R1200RT audio system for music and navigation. I will keep you all posted on how the system works. After spending that kind of money I hope to get the outcome I want.

    Jason
    I just purchased a new 2013 R1200RT and the Schuberth C3 with the Schuberth Bluetooth. Little did I know, or the dealer apparently, that this configuration does not work with the R1200RT audio system.
    "Keep the rubber side down"

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •