Thread: R100RT 1990 clutch shaft lub.

Hybrid View

R100RT 1990 clutch shaft lub.

I have just returned from Fl with the bike on the back of our motorhome and now is the time to address the stcking clutch issue. What is the best lub to use on the spline shaft and should the transmison be removed completly? All the road grime from the trip back is now removed and some oil leaks will also have to be resolved.
    Thanks Bob

Bob -

Another thread was started about the rear wheel splines...the answers there are applicable to your situation as well:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...-Lube-Question

In a pinch, the transmission can be slid back, cleaned and lubed through the roughly 1" inch crack. But, it really should be done by removing the transmission for a thorough cleaning and inspection.

A couple of sites that describe the pull-back-the-tranny approach:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/inputsplinesthrowout.htm

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/spline/
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Douglas Williams
    honda has a good moly. Some folks like to add graphite and anti- seize. also check out moly from www.guarddogmolylubricants.com
    Doug
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 83014 View Post
    honda has a good moly. Some folks like to add graphite and anti- seize. also check out moly from www.guarddogmolylubricants.com
    Doug
    And this advice is from a guy who whips his RS tranny out in about 45 minutes. So he oughta know!
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Work in progress

I read in Snowbum's sight that some clutch push shafts were oversize and would tighten up when things got hot. Anyone had this promblem? Waiting on parts to change pushrod tubes seals to stop oil leaks on the motor. I have also removed the air into the exhaust system maybe this will help with the heat. Is it a good thing to remove the catalatic converter or would that not keep things cooler.
    Cheers Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob 1642 View Post
    Is it a good thing to remove the catalatic converter or would that not keep things cooler.
    Hmmm...no such thing on an Airhead!
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Right you are it's the primary muffler. Would using stright pipes to replace it not keep some of the heat away from the trany when stuck in trafic?