Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ride Advice - Yellowstone/Glacier

Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    Wes:

I relinked the threads in my post 7 so that they go directly to the Forum. There are many other threads on this topic, but I just can't work the site's new search function, so I've had to use Google. Here's another one:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...-National-Park

Thanks Rinty - chasing links now. As for clogged roads - we were kinda hoping that going late in August the traffic would be less?
    Wes Jones
    Annapolis, MD
    2012 K1600GT, Vermillion Red
    2013 S1000RR, Granite Gray

Quote Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
    As for clogged roads - we were kinda hoping that going late in August the traffic would be less?
    That is what I have seen in past seasons; things get quieter in late August. I've never understood this, but it may be that parents are getting organized for their kids' return to school, and post secondary students are getting organized for fall sessions.
    Last edited by RINTY; 04-13-2013 at 04:12 PM.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Do not forget the Chief Josef Byway from the Yellowstone area towards Cody; a ride to die for.

Get the book Motorcycling Montana http://motorcyclingmontana.com/

If you can make the ride while school is in sesssion and avoid the major sites on weekends, then traffic will be much reduced.

Avoid Yelllowstone the week before Sturgis. Thousands of Harleys hauled in on trailers, parading around in large groups doing half the speed limit.
    Last edited by AKBEEMER; 05-17-2013 at 02:37 AM.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Wes
    If you end up around Great Falls, it's worth your time to ride to a town called Square Butte. Great steakhouse there, really the only thing in Square Butte!!!!
    Don't let the looks of the town scare you off. LOL.DSCN3164_2.jpg
    Be prepared for high winds, no matter which direction you ride the wind will be at your side. LOL
    Eastern and central MT you really can see forever. Ride safe.

BruceRT
    Plus one on the suggestions for Butler Maps and riding the high passes earlier in the day rather than later to avoid thunderstorms. Ride the Going to the Sun Road early in the morning before it gets clogged with RV's; traffic gets bad around 10:00 AM if I recall.

You asked about camping and must be prepared for cold nights at higher elevations. The first summer I lived in Idaho, I camped at Lolo Pass. Although it had been warm during the day, the water in the coffee pot was frozen when I picked it up in the morning. This was the third week of July! If you want to camp warmly, plan to camp in lower elevations. There are lots of primitive campgrounds set up by the forest service that are cheap but offer no amenities. If you want a shower and flush toilets, go to the state parks or private campgrounds.

Watch the news for fire information. Be prepared to change your destinations for smoke or bad weather. I recommend planning three itineraries for different areas and being prepared to change based on fire and weather. See the Butler maps recommendation. Have fun and ride safe.
    Bruce
    2005 R1200RT (It's new to me!)
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you are not continuously learning, you are slowly getting bored.

Our trip is firming up on dates (first half of September) and routes and I have a specific question for the collective wisdom here. We're going to be in Moran at the Turpin Meadow ranch for a couple of days and leave there headed toward Glacier with 2 days on the schedule to get there. My initial thought was to ride through Yellowstone stopping and gawking here and there and exit the park on the NE Entrance road (212) and end the day with a romp down the Beartooth Hwy up to Red Lodge.

The other choice might be to exit the park on the east entrance road (14/16/20) and hook back up on the Chief Joseph Hwy to connect with the Beartooth and out to Red Lodge.

Then the second day is a run from Red Lodge up to Glacier staying there.

So what's your recommendation? Out the north on 212/Beartooth all the way OR out the east on 14/16 and up the Chief Joseph to 212 and out?

Here's one of many plans we're looking at:

Wes Jones
    Annapolis, MD

Chief Joseph/Beartooth is my vote!

Awesome views, good road, little traffic at that time of year. Hopefully an early snow won't close the road.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

...what's your recommendation?...PittsDriver
    Wes: This is one of the rare occasions when you can have your cake and eat it too.

Take14/16 out of Yellowstone to Cody, have a bite to eat and beverage at Irma's Cafe, and stop at the Sierra Trading Post http://www.sierratradingpost.com/?gc...processed=true for any stuff that you might not need.

Then go north, do the Chief Joseph to the intersection with the 212. Now, here's the good part: you head west to Cooke City, stop, have a quick look around, and then backtrack east on the 212 across the Plateau. Don't miss the store up top. Doing it this way you get to ride both the CJ and BT, and it only "costs" you an extra 25 miles or so. And the bonus is that you get to ride through the lovely Sylvan Pass. (14/16).

At Red Lodge, don't miss one of the best bars in the West:

http://www.snowcreeksaloon.com/

The Pollard Hotel is almost right next door.

Have fun!
    Last edited by RINTY; 05-17-2013 at 02:38 PM.
    Rinty

Quote Originally Posted by RINTY View Post
    Wes: This is one of the rare occasions when you can have your cake and eat it too.

Take14/16 out of Yellowstone to Cody, have a bite to eat and beverage at Irma's Cafe, and stop at the Sierra Trading Post http://www.sierratradingpost.com/?gc...processed=true for any stuff that you might not need.

Then go north, do the Chief Joseph to the intersection with the 212. Now, here's the good part: you head west to Cooke City, stop, have a quick look around, and then backtrack east on the 212 across the Plateau. Don't miss the store up top. Doing it this way you get to ride both the CJ and BT, and it only "costs" you an extra 25 miles or so. And the bonus is that you get to ride through the lovely Sylvan Pass. (14/16).

Have fun!

Sounds like a plan. Now my dilemma is whether to take an extra day to ride out to the Big Horns and do that loop from Cody and back. If I do, it'll cost us a day of riding in Idaho back country and I'm not sure I want to give that up as much as the Big Horns have been recommended. We're going up to Glacier then back down to Lolo through the pass over to Kooskia and then meandering our way through the back country to land in Rexburg. I want to make sure we have at least a couple of not three days of fully exploring all of that country and if we do the Big Horn loop it'll cost of some back country time.

Thoughts?
    Wes Jones
    Annapolis, MD

Thoughts?
    Wes:

The Bighorn Mountains are scenic, with interesting twisty roads, but you pay a price by having to traverse the Bighorn Basin, which is pretty dreary. From Cody, it's not as far to Shell, about 70 miles, as it is from Red Lodge, but I think I'd take the extra day in Idaho, instead. We're headed down there next month, to do some touring.
    Last edited by RINTY; 05-21-2013 at 01:22 PM.
    Rinty

I'd strongly recommend doing Beartooth from Red Lodge up, and then running CJH into Cody. That way you get the BT's switchbacks on the ascent (no need for brakes), and it's big sweepers on the descent (again, no need for brakes), rather than the reverse. CJH is pretty spectacular in either direction.

This is the view from ead Indian Pass, looking west.

we found a very pretty campsite outside of Y'stone along the Y'Stone River (NW entrance into Mammoth HS). State fishing access site, but camping for $12/night, right on the river. Sweet.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Highway 12

Quote Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
    Sweet, thank's George!
    Second that section of highway. Be warned that gas is far between and cell phone service used to be non-existent, but may have improved in recent years.
    Corndogg
    2012 R1200RT
    "She's expensive, impractical, mercurial, restive, and certifiably schizophrenic; and I'm madly in love with her." 2006 K1200R

I've done most of the roads you're talking about, and if you can swing doing Rt. 14 A through the Bighorns too, it may be worth it.
    J.R., 2012 RT
    MOA #186976
    IBA #42334