Thread: Mahle KL13 Fuel Filters

Hybrid View

Mahle KL13 Fuel Filters

Gang:

I installed (2) of this filter on the R65LS

Was thinking of installing on R60/5 along with the new fuel hose.

Okay choice?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

You know who has a lot to say about filters?? Snowbum!! About halfway down:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/fuelfltrs&petcocks.htm

I only have filters on my R69S...I bought some conical shaped ones from Vech, probably filled with sintered bronze.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    You know who has a lot to say about filters?? Snowbum!! About halfway down:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/fuelfltrs&petcocks.htm

I only have filters on my R69S...I bought some conical shaped ones from Vech, probably filled with sintered bronze.
    With all due respect to Snowbum - that guy is way over my head! Everytime I go to his website I get dizzy!
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

Ken,

I have a lot of confidence in Mahle Brand filters. Your selection seems like a good choice although I have no experience with that particular brand and model filter. I prefer the see-through canister for my bikes. Personal choice. As I understand it the condition of the inside of your tank is in very good condition. May be a good idea to use one for a few tank fulls after buttoning things up to catch any small debris that you are not aware of.

I have some original red lead tank liner flaking on my R65 after over 10 years of non-use before the restoration and found the addition of a gas filter to solve some of my carb problems. The small bullet style sintered filters weren't doing the job so I moved to the paper filters. Not very aesthetically pleasing but is doing the job quite well with plenty of fuel flow and protecting small debris from entering the carbs. I'm using the Visu-Filter High Flow from Bike Bandit with very good results to this point.

http://www.bikebandit.com/visu-filte...ty-fuel-filter

-Mike V.
    Mike V. / San Diego
    gruntyman66 MOA#30064
    78 R100/7 [orig. owner] / 81 R65 [restored]
    ABC-MOA-AMA / http://tinyurl.com/4df7hgs

This is such a great distraction from my day job
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

Quote Originally Posted by 30064 View Post
    Ken,

I have a lot of confidence in Mahle Brand filters. Your selection seems like a good choice although I have no experience with that particular brand and model filter. I prefer the see-through canister for my bikes. Personal choice. As I understand it the condition of the inside of your tank is in very good condition. May be a good idea to use one for a few tank fulls after buttoning things up to catch any small debris that you are not aware of.

I have some original red lead tank liner flaking on my R65 after over 10 years of non-use before the restoration and found the addition of a gas filter to solve some of my carb problems. The small bullet style sintered filters weren't doing the job so I moved to the paper filters. Not very aesthetically pleasing but is doing the job quite well with plenty of fuel flow and protecting small debris from entering the carbs. I'm using the Visu-Filter High Flow from Bike Bandit with very good results to this point.

http://www.bikebandit.com/visu-filte...ty-fuel-filter

-Mike V.
    Cool looking fuel filters, Mike!
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

Ken, I have used this style filter for 30 years in air cooled vw's, and 12 years in my R 100 GSPD, never had a problem. also it is nice to see the fuel flow, and any debris that might show up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    don't know where I'm going, but I'm making good time. 1990 R 100 GSPD, 2005 R 1200 GS

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 128521 View Post
    Ken, I have used this style filter for 30 years in air cooled vw's, and 12 years in my R 100 GSPD, never had a problem. also it is nice to see the fuel flow, and any debris that might show up.
    I think it says "Universal" fuel filters but the flash washed it out.
    These look pretty good. 3 questions for ya: Brand? Price? Where to buy?
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

morning, I get these at my local VW parts shop, ( air cooled of course ), they cost about $2 US each, less if you buy a case. I am not sure who makes them, the box says universal filters, and they are made in Israel. I am sure any VW shop would have them. or ones like them.
    don't know where I'm going, but I'm making good time. 1990 R 100 GSPD, 2005 R 1200 GS