Thread: I won't always stop here.

I won't always stop here.

A good read about a page long for the commuters out there.

Here
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

jeepinbanditrider
    Good read. I just moved to California last week and am very much enjoying the lane splitting / filtering I've done it here before and I still can't believe that it's such a taboo thing in most other parts of the US.

I had suggested a Commuter's topic in this site maybe 6 months ago. While I thought it would be valuable (or at least a place to hang out and share ups and downs), it must not have seemed viable to the mods.

Perhaps the demographics have switched from daily riding to off-road and pleasure riding over the years. I will be sure to open the above link once at home, as the firewall won't let me open the link at work.

jeepinbanditrider
    I just think it's the nature of the US rider community for the most part. Generally speaking motorcycles aren't seen as a "serious" form of transportation, instead it's seen as mearly a toy and a luxury item and something you only use to have fun. Of course even commuting on a motorcycle is fun for lots of us but for others not so much. For many others it's simply a social tool. It's used to gain entry into a certain group and is an excuse for those people to get together and socialize.

Dunno there's a lot to it but what it comes down to is that in the US bikes are "serious" transportation in the minds of most people.

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar

Thumbs up

MM - this is a fine piece; it does articulate the one reason why I actually enjoy my commute in the summer on the bike and yet absolutely do not enjoy it in my car in winter; even though it is a Bimmer...
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
    I had suggested a Commuter's topic in this site maybe 6 months ago. While I thought it would be valuable (or at least a place to hang out and share ups and downs), it must not have seemed viable to the mods.

Perhaps the demographics have switched from daily riding to off-road and pleasure riding over the years. I will be sure to open the above link once at home, as the firewall won't let me open the link at work.
    Actually we did discuss the commuter's area and a move like that takes a while to really shake out. We try not to "fragment" the forums any more then they are. Thanks, Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

I would wonder if any that discussed the idea of a Commuter's Corner were, in fact, commuters...?

Though, of course - not to hijack the thread, there was a nice article on the ON magazine a few years back about commuting in the Big Apple.

The majority of my motorcycle miles are done commuting. The article linked is pretty realistic, there's not a lot of glory or fun in most commutes, mine included. Motorcycles are a primary source of transportation in many European countries, but not so much here in the U.S.

With ever-rising fuel prices, this may continue to change.

All that said, I really enjoy using my motorcycle for commuting purposes, although since I work conventional hours, this means I have to ride freeways during rush hours, which very often isn't very enjoyable.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia