Thread: I won't always stop here.

I won't always stop here.

A good read about a page long for the commuters out there.

Here
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

Touring Jarhead jeepinbanditrider's Avatar
    Good read. I just moved to California last week and am very much enjoying the lane splitting / filtering I've done it here before and I still can't believe that it's such a taboo thing in most other parts of the US.
    2007 F800ST
    1997 DR350SE
    1978 GS1000E

JoeDabbs
    I had suggested a Commuter's topic in this site maybe 6 months ago. While I thought it would be valuable (or at least a place to hang out and share ups and downs), it must not have seemed viable to the mods.

Perhaps the demographics have switched from daily riding to off-road and pleasure riding over the years. I will be sure to open the above link once at home, as the firewall won't let me open the link at work.
    Joe Dabbs
    2011 RT
    1975 R60/6

Touring Jarhead jeepinbanditrider's Avatar
    I just think it's the nature of the US rider community for the most part. Generally speaking motorcycles aren't seen as a "serious" form of transportation, instead it's seen as mearly a toy and a luxury item and something you only use to have fun. Of course even commuting on a motorcycle is fun for lots of us but for others not so much. For many others it's simply a social tool. It's used to gain entry into a certain group and is an excuse for those people to get together and socialize.

Dunno there's a lot to it but what it comes down to is that in the US bikes are "serious" transportation in the minds of most people.
    2007 F800ST
    1997 DR350SE
    1978 GS1000E

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar

Thumbs up

MM - this is a fine piece; it does articulate the one reason why I actually enjoy my commute in the summer on the bike and yet absolutely do not enjoy it in my car in winter; even though it is a Bimmer...
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
    I had suggested a Commuter's topic in this site maybe 6 months ago. While I thought it would be valuable (or at least a place to hang out and share ups and downs), it must not have seemed viable to the mods.

Perhaps the demographics have switched from daily riding to off-road and pleasure riding over the years. I will be sure to open the above link once at home, as the firewall won't let me open the link at work.
    Actually we did discuss the commuter's area and a move like that takes a while to really shake out. We try not to "fragment" the forums any more then they are. Thanks, Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

JoeDabbs
    I would wonder if any that discussed the idea of a Commuter's Corner were, in fact, commuters...?

Though, of course - not to hijack the thread, there was a nice article on the ON magazine a few years back about commuting in the Big Apple.
    Joe Dabbs
    2011 RT
    1975 R60/6

The majority of my motorcycle miles are done commuting. The article linked is pretty realistic, there's not a lot of glory or fun in most commutes, mine included. Motorcycles are a primary source of transportation in many European countries, but not so much here in the U.S.

With ever-rising fuel prices, this may continue to change.

All that said, I really enjoy using my motorcycle for commuting purposes, although since I work conventional hours, this means I have to ride freeways during rush hours, which very often isn't very enjoyable.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia