Thread: R60/5 Throttle Cables

Hybrid View

R60/5 Throttle Cables

Moving along, the throttle & cam gears were shot so ordered new parts & tonight installed new Magura throttle grip & cam.

It seems to me the throttle cables are too long - I snapped a picture - the other issue is the throttle isn't snappy like my R65LS - on that project she got new throttle cables and a grip & cam set.

Next question: this bike has two individual throttle cables - there is a top and bottom position where the cables attach to the cam - is there a right and a left position? It may be in the Clymer & Haynes service manuals but I didn't catch it.

Here are the pics - I'm really thinking these throttle cables are too long
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

Here's where the two throttle cable attach to the throttle cam - wondering if there is a right and a left position?
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

Here's a pic of my handlebars - I looked at the various styles on Hucky's site - can't really tell what style they are.
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

No left or right position on the cable hookup inside the throttle housing. I just went through this on my R69S. The cam/chain mechanism just pulls both cables evenly.

As for cable length, I know the cables can be too short. I that case, they make a tight turn going into the top of the carb...not good. Plus the cables can get pulled when turning the handlebars. But being too long is not necessarily a bad thing, unless they're way too long and flop all over the place.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    No left or right position on the cable hookup inside the throttle housing. I just went through this on my R69S. The cam/chain mechanism just pulls both cables evenly.

As for cable length, I know the cables can be too short. I that case, they make a tight turn going into the top of the carb...not good. Plus the cables can get pulled when turning the handlebars. But being too long is not necessarily a bad thing, unless they're way too long and flop all over the place.
    Makes sense, Kurt - can /5 be lubed - they look okay but are not snapping back when I release throttle - throttle stop screw is removed

I may invest in a new set of cables - these may be oem - from appearance they look good - will tinker a bit more
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

Check for binding with the grip and throttle tube. If you have the grip too close to the throttle housing, that will hang it up.

Do the cables move freely out of the bike? The cables shouldn't need lube, especially not new. Lubing might be something you would do as a last resort on old cables. IIRC, OEM cables have a special lining while doesn't need to be lubed.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!