Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 09 R1200 RT Michelin Pilot Road 3 New Tires

09 R1200 RT Michelin Pilot Road 3 New Tires

Needing new tires soon on 09 1200 RT. Looking at Michelin Pilot Road 3s. Anyone have any experience with them on the RT?

Jack Herbst
    Quote Originally Posted by Treindle 2009 View Post
    Needing new tires soon on 09 1200 RT. Looking at Michelin Pilot Road 3s. Anyone have any experience with them on the RT?
    Yes, Great tire. Previosly had the Pilot Road Two's.

Jack
    "All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific."

tires

I have a set of pilot road 3 on a 2011 rt good grip and great mileage,mileage in a tire is what I look for,

Good to hear! MY 09 RT came used with some tires that were made in 2010, and are pretty hard/slippery at this point. I feel bad replacing them with some good tred left, but they just don't give me confidence.

I ordered a pair from Chaparral racing: 290 free shipping seemed a good deal.

9,000 miles on mine. Still plenty of tread left. I expect they will last another 3,000 miles.
    Craig
    New York's Hudson Valley Region
    2009 R1200RT
    MOA #146131 IBA #55715

Old, Ugly, feet stink too

Just put a "B" tire on the back

Have less than 200 miles so far so I cannot say much. I was told the "B" version will work better for alot of 2 up/heavy laden riding.

We'll see!

I already like them more than the Bridgestone with no wear indicators, got about 6200 miles out if the rear.

Hammam
    I had Michelin PR3s on my RT. Gret match. I preferred them to the Metzeler Z8s. Very confidence-inspiring under the rain. Also, there is a suppleness to the tires that makes them feel like they stick to the asphalt, and smoothen bumps. Stable. Nice and easy turn-in. After 8,000 kms, they had 70% left on front, 80% on rear.

+++ Me too... great tires on an RT. They work very well in the rain on top of being great in dry conditions and twisty bits.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

'11 R1200RT '12F800GS BlackDenis's Avatar

Michelin PR3s on '11 R1200 RT

On my second set of these. Great traction in the twisties and very good in the rain. On my summer trip last year, I wore them "flat" due to the amount of highway riding. I'm getting 16000+ km on them.
    Degeneracy can be fun but it's hard to keep up as a serious lifetime occupation. R. M. Persig

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    ++++ on my second set of PR3s now and love them. Only down side is they make me think I am a better rider than I am. Feel very connected to the road - wet or dry.
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

If there is anything close to a consensus tire for the RT, the PR-3 is it, Using them on 3 different BMWs at present (R1100S, R1200RT, K1200GT) all with good results.

The B tire is the same in all respects as the regular version except that it has a stiffer sidewall. The regular tire is not rated for the bikes max speed/max load simultaneously (not something you're likely to do so it doesn't matter-takes 2 up and a full load and willingness to ride at go to jail speed limit for sustained period) while the B tire has that capability- dig around in enough BMW literature and you can probably find the precise factory and load speed recommendations for each tire. If one is sensitive to tire properties (as I am from many hours of track experience) there is a small but perceptible difference in handling. I find I prefer the B for street use on my heavier bikes but I suspect many (most?) riders won't be able to tell any difference. The B will not deliver better mileage. Either will suit most and work well.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDenis View Post
    On my second set of these. Great traction in the twisties and very good in the rain. On my summer trip last year, I wore them "flat" due to the amount of highway riding. I'm getting 16000+ km on them.
    Ditto
    I push them fairly hard in the twists and had an opportunity to ride them during a very heavy rain storm.
    Was completely blown away how confident inspiring they handled in such poor weather and road condition.
    Australia N,S,W
    Mid North Coast
    2014 R1200RT LC/SE

When my BT023's wear out I plan on Pilot Road 3's also. Everything I've hear about them seems to be good. I haven't had any real complaints about the BT023 on performance. They did very well on my RT at a BMW track day
    Jason
    Grand rapids, MI
    2012 BMW R1200RT

Caribbean Druid
    +1 on the PR3s. We had them on my wife's previous RT. She's got the stock Bridgestone BTs on her 2012 R and they are about shot at 8k miles. We're definitely going back to the PR3s. Great mileage, wet weather traction and cornering feel.

Another +1 for PR3's. I live north of the 49th so pavement temperatures run from cold to ambient for most of the season. Most of my touring is in the Pacific Northwest ( Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Canadian Rockies) so rain and poor weather is inevitable. Always on the hunt for technically challenging twisties. The PR3's have afforded excellent handling in all weather conditions, road conditions and temperatures. Quite likely the best all round tire available at this time.