Thread: Hip replacement and motorcycles

Hip replacement and motorcycles

My left hip is slowly but steadily degenerating. Hip replacement seems inevitable. But i dont want to give up on riding. Have any of you had hip replacement surgery? How has it affected your riding?

Hip Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by DVEINEDER View Post
    My left hip is slowly but steadily degenerating. Hip replacement seems inevitable. But i dont want to give up on riding. Have any of you had hip replacement surgery? How has it affected your riding?
    I had my hip replaced it 2004 and my wife had hers replaced in 2011. We were both cleared to resume riding in just a month or two depending on our rate of recovery. That was directly related to how dillegently we did our therapy. The recovery was complete and we have had no hip problems since. Be sure and find a doctor that is an expert in the procedure. Ours has a world wide reputation in both hip and knee replacement. Bottom line is a good doctor and your dillegence in doing the post operative therapy.

Bob Schrader

Thanks Bob

I recently read about a new procedure called anterior hip replacement. Supposedly more complicated, but also less recovery time becuz not invading the larger muscles.

Regardless of type, I'll heed your advice. Good MD and diligent therapy.

Dale Eineder

Fred Trimble
    There is an extensive thread in the Ladies forum about this subject (including my reply) with lots of positive feedback. Bottom line - get it done, do your rehab and keep riding.
    Fred Trimble
    1985 K100RT
    2009 R1200RT

Thanks for the feedback. I am encouraged!

hip replacement

Go ahead full steam. I've had both hips done and regret that I had put off the prodedures so long. Once you have graduated from rehab you should be able to ride without difficulty. I asked my ortho MD what would happen if I fell and injured the new hip. "You break it, I fix it" Have a great celebratory ride when all is done.
    BeemerSue

Thanks for the encouragement. It is good to know that HRS is not the end of riding.