Thread: 2006 R1200RT headlight bulb question

2006 R1200RT headlight bulb question

Hi all,
    Just bought a RT, don't physically have it yet, but I can't seem to find the headlight bulb type(s)? What type and how many are there? From the microfiche it appears the only headlight bulb is an H7? Is that correct? If it is a dual filament bulb what is the other type?
    Reason for asking is I want to replace the OEM blub(s) with HIDs.
    Ride Safe,
    Robert
    Ps I ask for your support and vote in the upcoming MOA Board of Directors election.
    Ride Safe,
    Robert Rehkopf

They are indeed H7 bulbs for all three (2 low beam, 1 for high) and are single filament.
    Dave...

----------------
    05 R1200 RT
    83 XN85 D Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by dlowry View Post
    They are indeed H7 bulbs for all three (2 low beam, 1 for high) and are single filament.
    Dave,
    Thanks. From the microfiche there was only one H7 shown and only one H7 called for. That is what confused me. I never did see the low beam bulbs!
    Ride Safe,
    Robert
    Ps. I ask for your support and vote in the upcoming BMWMOA Board of Directors election.
    Ride Safe,
    Robert Rehkopf

Quote Originally Posted by CaptRehkopf View Post
    From the microfiche there was only one H7 shown and only one H7 called for. That is what confused me. I never did see the low beam bulbs!
    Don't just look at the pictures. Read the table of parts. In the picture I'm looking at the bulb is item #3. The table for item number 3 reads:

No: 03
    Description: BULB
    Supplement: H7/55W
    Qty: 3
    etc

Thanks for the help, I called myself looking at the table but must have had 'table' blindness! I have ordered three H7 single filament HIDs from DDMtuning.
    Ride Safe,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    Don't just look at the pictures. Read the table of parts. In the picture I'm looking at the bulb is item #3. The table for item number 3 reads:

No: 03
    Description: BULB
    Supplement: H7/55W
    Qty: 3
    etc
    Ride Safe,
    Robert Rehkopf

Greetings
    I had to replace the headlight fixture on our 07 rt $695. Dealer claimed it was because I used a h7 that was not a OEM bulb and it had caused the fixture to melt. Not all H7 are the same according to them. The manual only states a H7 bulb not what brand of H7.
    Tony
    We're not here for a long time
    We're here for a good time HUEY LEWIS

2007 R1200RT, 2003 F650CS

Quote Originally Posted by Motocamper View Post
    Greetings
    I had to replace the headlight fixture on our 07 rt $695. Dealer claimed it was because I used a h7 that was not a OEM bulb and it had caused the fixture to melt. Not all H7 are the same according to them. The manual only states a H7 bulb not what brand of H7.
    Tony
    Hi,
    I sent your post to my dealer in Memphis asking him what he thought about this issue. I'll let you know what he says.
    Ride safe,
    Robert
    Ps I ask for you BOD vote.
    Ride Safe,
    Robert Rehkopf

Quote Originally Posted by Motocamper View Post
    Greetings
    Tony
    My dealer just called me back, note AFTER Normal Business Hours, and he said that if the wattage were the same then there shouldn't be any problem, caveat he has a good relationship with his BMW representative/warranty guy! Obviously, YMMV!
    Ride Safe,
    Robert
    Ps Vote for ME! PLEASE!
    Ride Safe,
    Robert Rehkopf