Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle security on a trip?

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    In KY, key in or key out is 2 separate laws on the thief's end & they get less time one way. more the other. As I understand it can make a difference in insurance coverage?
    You're joking, right? Are you telling me that KY justice defines theft by availability? Then by extension, if the lady leaves her purse on the table and the thief grabs it and runs away, that's different than if it is in her hand and he grabs it and runs away? (I'm just talking the theft charge, not the potential assault charge in the latter case). Are KY judicial formulas really that idiotic?
    MSF RiderCoach, Sport Bike Coach, Track Junkie, IBA, MSTA, AMA, HRCA, Factor Demo Rider
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 1990 Honda GB500TT
    Helmetless riders=Darwinism in action.

This saved my Harley once

http://www.westendmotorsports.com/do...s-p-18815.html

The above product installed in the cover pocket saved my motorcycle. I had my Road King parked in a secured apartment garage. They attempted to steal it in the middle of the day while most people were at work.

I parked my bike and had a Kryptonite chain locked around a pole. Had a rotor lock with siren locked on the rear, had a regular rotor lock on the front and the Guardian cover with the special pouch for the cover alarm installed. The alarm cover works like a grenade pin. If it is pulled out wile activated the sound is so loud and ear piercing you can stand next to it without ear protection.

When I parked in the garage for lunch I notice the alarm was going off. I went to inspect it and was surprised what I saw. Next to my bike was some metal filings where the removed the front rotor lock. When they went to pull the cover up the alarm activated and they left. What I saw was the metal filings and the cover partially removed. They will not know that you have this installed before the remove the cover. Maybe some thieves may look for this and disconnect it from the bike but it would also take more time to find where you connected it and remove it. It is simple to connect and remove yourself. The cover goes on like any other cover. The lock set up I used mught sounds excessive but I only did it like that when it was parked in that garage. When I'm out riding I always used a rotor lock and the fork lock along with the security system on the bike.

I will say the Harleys are more of a targeted bike, I had about $12K of extras and it drew a lot of attention. I do feel like less of a target while out on the BMW but still take precautions to prevent theft.

The cover with alarm is highly recommended by me

Jason
    Jason
    Grand rapids, MI
    2012 BMW R1200RT

Another factor for thieves targeting Harley's over BMW's may be that they read the latest consumer report that Harley's are more dependable than BMW's
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by KANTUCKID View Post
    In KY, key in or key out is 2 separate laws on the thief's end & they get less time one way. more the other. As I understand it can make a difference in insurance coverage?
    I worked insurance claims for 31+years and whether the key was in the vehicle or not didn't impact the validity of the claim or the amount paid. However, it did cause us to increase our investigation to make sure he was not party to the theft. We looked closely at the credit history vehicle condition, loan balance, marriage status and any other thing that could make him want to have the vehicle "stolen ".
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

central wisconsin along the wisconsin river
    Quote Originally Posted by EASY View Post
    I wish those who get their bike stolen with the key in the ignition the best of luck in getting their insurance company to cover the cost of the theft.

A pro wonÔÇÖt have any problem taking your "ugly" GS and breaking it down for parts.

I cover my bike and park it near the room door or the motel entrance. I stay in a nice area of town and always remove the key and use a lock with an alarm. This wonÔÇÖt stop a real pro, but it will make the thief more likely to take the bike that is not locked and parked away from foot traffic in an unlit area.

E.
    I was referring to a BMW Rally only with the key in! Otherwise cover it!
    81 R100RT

I try to find a hotel that has the overhead hanging out from the building. I always park the bike under it right next to the door and keep the shades open. Bottom line though, if you are in a bad neighborhood or nasty area, don't park there.

BMW Theft Rare

BMWs are rarely stolen because there is too little market for used parts or bikes - major reasons Japanese bikes are stolen. However, excellent advice by others on security precautions. When I stopped at a motel in Montana last year, the clerk offered covered space near the office without my asking.

I heard a joke today from another rider:

Q: How do you keep your Harley from being stolen
    A: Put a BMW cover over it.

Quote Originally Posted by JIMMYLEE View Post
    What do all of you use?
    1) secure garage parking.
    2) ABUS U-lock to an immoveable object.
    3) ABUS U-lock to another motorcycle.
    4) always a stand-alone noise maker alarm with any of the above.

In 38 years of riding 49 states and Canada, never have I done more than remove the key and sometimes cover my bike.
    Never had anything stolen or messed with.

All this nonsense of U-lock, and disc brake locks and chains does nothing except make the biker owner feel good.
    If a thief wants your bike, there is nothing short of sitting on it with a loaded gun that will stop him.
    Kansas. Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...
    '09 R1200RT
    N0PGH
    Iron Butt Assoc. #47865

Quote Originally Posted by brisco View Post
    In 38 years of riding 49 states and Canada, never have I done more than remove the key and sometimes cover my bike.
    Never had anything stolen or messed with.

All this nonsense of U-lock, and disc brake locks and chains does nothing except make the biker owner feel good.
    If a thief wants your bike, there is nothing short of sitting on it with a loaded gun that will stop him.
    Agree 100%. I have the same history. Surprised no one has suggested having an armed guard watching the moto.
    Marty Hill
    12 GS black/Boxer Cup Replika
    Cagiva gran canyon/Honda cl 360 scrambler
    ride till you can't

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by martyhill View Post
    Agree 100%. I have the same history. Surprised no one has suggested having an armed guard watching the moto.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Being the victim or not is often a result of the odds that you stack against the thief. Unless you are targeted at a place that you frequent..Home, work etc, sometimes thefts are even "done to order" at these locations.

Thieves will frequently troll for a vehicle that they have previous experience with, That is to say they have established a method for stealing & transporting the machine as well as how they have learned their favorite way to convert it into cash (whole or in parts as they may prefer). The customer base for the stolen vehicle/parts is also an important part of their knowledge base, which results in their M.O. Most often this type of thief (Pro) will be very careful to do as little damage as possible so as to protect his "investment".

The joy-rider will have little plan & often will create much damage when doing the theft. In addition to this, for some message of contempt when the joy ride is over, considerable damage will be done purposely to the machine.

The covered bike is a "pig in a poke" requiring more risky and time consuming investigation for the pro thief during his "shopping/trolling" tour.

Great Ideas have been previously posted. I would however not rely too heavily on the safety of a parking lot in an upscale neighborhood. Crooks like these places due to more valuable merchandise being displayed/available than at more modest locations.

A quick and dirty fix is to put a padlock through a hole in your front brake disk. To remind yourself you have it locked buy some bright orange 3/16 rope and tie a loop in both ends. Oner loop gets locked in the padlock the other goes around your handlebar near your starter button. It's a simple deterrent!
    "Wer reitet so spaet durch nacht und wind -es ist der Vater mit seinem Kind" -- Goethe
    R1200RT, F800GS
    '80 GL1100

I'm really getting tired of sitting on my bike with my 9mm while everyone else is in a nice comfy motel room.

I'm gonna get a rat bike
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS