Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle security on a trip?

Fat Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by martyhill View Post
    Agree 100%. I have the same history. Surprised no one has suggested having an armed guard watching the moto.
    Agree!

Quote Originally Posted by sloride View Post
    I'm really getting tired of sitting on my bike with my 9mm while everyone else is in a nice comfy motel room.

I'm gonna get a rat bike

Or some Claymores
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

Funny, the night my friend's motorcycle was stolen is the one and only night he didn't chain it to the post. He got home late from a night out, was tired and too lazy to perform the usual ritual.

Oh well.

Innkeeper

Unhappy Bikes in motel rooms

Quote Originally Posted by dwestly View Post
    Ha! Always the best security. Rode my '76 Honda XL350 Enduro cross country (FL to TX) in 1977 (with stock knobbies), making sure it was tucked in the motel room each night with me. Helpful tip: Always let it cool down BEFORE you bring it in the room. Otherwise you're sleeping with hot engine/gas fume remnants the rest of the night LOL.
    As a small hotel owner who takes pride in what we offer to the public, I can tell you that if you even tried to put a motorcycle in one of our suites, or a bicycle for that matter, you would be evicted in a heartbeat and there wouldn't be a refund. We do provide a locked enclosure for bicycles but not for motorcycles.
    Summertime it is not unusual to have more than 20 boats in our parking lot with an average value of approximately $60,000.00 each.

Now here is a humorous but true story. Two years ago my brother and I were on our way to Arkansas and were staying at a friends house in New Mexico. The gate to his back yard was too narrow for either bike (my 1150 and his brand new Harley with less than 1,000 miles) We had the house to ourselves as our friends had to leave town. They did however have a security camera which I could look at the bikes from the bedroom I was in, and they assured me that the monitor would beep loud enough to wake me if there was movement anywhere near our bikes. Around midnight the beep woke me and as I looked at the monitor, I observed my brother walking around the motorcycles and then looking around the side streets. When he came back in I asked him if he heard anything and his reply was that he couldn't sleep for fear someone would steal his Harley. I rolled over and went to sleep. Two hours later - the same thing.
    After three hours I heard the bathroom shower on and when I checked it out, he said he couldn't sleep.
    We left Albuquerque about 3:30 in the morning.

I have been a cop for 26 years and never have done or heard of someone getting their motorcycle stolen from a hotel in the city I work. Tallahassee, Florida............The ones that do get stolen are usual sport motorcycles near our colleges and those type cases are rare. If persons want your property, no matter what you do person will take it. I would enjoy my trip, secure it with the key, have good insurance, and just have fun. Irode from Florida to Alaska, gone for 3 weeks, without having a problem.
    John
    2004 BMW R1150R Black
    Contact me 4 (1&1) training, Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction

I just googled MC thefts in your city & there are 2 listed now-sorry We all know, there are bad guys everywhere. Best to be cautious & enjoy the moment as you say.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Statistically Speaking...

BMWs are pretty low on the list of bikes stolen.

Per the NCIB's stats on their website published Sept 2012.

"Overall, there were a total of 46,667 motorcycle thefts in the U.S. in 2011. From 2010 to 2011, motorcycle thefts decreased 6% even though motorcycle sales slightly increased"

"Motorcycle thefts increased during the warmer months, as July and August had the most motorcycle thefts and December, January, and February had the least motorcycle thefts. Motorcycle thefts typically occurred on Mondays and Tuesdays"

Motorcycle Thefts: By Make
    1 American Honda Motor Co., Inc. 11,014
    2 Yamaha Motor Corporation 8,880
    3 American Suzuki Motor Corporation 7,281
    4 Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. 5,009
    5 Harley Davidson, Inc. 3,120
    6 KTM Sportmotorcycle AG 410
    7 KYMCO U.S.A., Inc. 350
    8 Vespa International 323
    9 Bajaj Auto., Ltd. 294
    10 Goldenvale, Inc. - Roketa 286
    11 Ducati Motor Holding 232
    12 Astronautical Bashan 226
    13 Genuine Cycle 197
    14 Zhejiang Shenmao Appliance Co Ltd. 153
    15 E-TON Power Tech Co Ltd. 150

This totals 37925 of the 46,667 stolen.
    and even IF BMW came in at #16 you are looking at <150 total stolen in the year.

As for where stolen: CA,TX, FL, NC & IN are the top 5 representing 40% of all thefts.

So you wanna be safe, based on the stats I'd say Drive a BMW, Ride cooler months, and spend little time in the above mentioned states. COULD your bike be stolen, yes, but odds are against it.

Been in a few places, I would have liked to park bike in the room, it wouldn't fit
    I ask, when staying at hotels if I can park in front, or if its the type of motel where you park in front of room do so
    Always lock steering forks, remove valuables, set alarm and COVER bike
    A lightweight cover is easy to pack, keeps dust and dew off the bike, and keeps curious eyes from exploring your bike

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    I just googled MC thefts in your city & there are 2 listed now-sorry We all know, there are bad guys everywhere. Best to be cautious & enjoy the moment as you say.

Is this quote for me?? And my city?? What site did you google??
    Last edited by motorman587; 06-02-2013 at 03:10 PM.
    John
    2004 BMW R1150R Black
    Contact me 4 (1&1) training, Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction

That does it! I'm never going to TLH again on my BMW.
    Marty Hill
    12 GS black/Boxer Cup Replika

ride till you can't

Quote Originally Posted by martyhill View Post
    I've ridden in 49 states and 21 countries without a cable lock. Don't think people steal BMW's.
    Where are you going to park? JK

My experience also. Locking the steering is prob the easiest thing.
    Those cables like you describe are very thick and very heavy. A pain to pack and carry. A cover mine with a vanilla cover, ie one that does not advertise BMW inside.

John

Repo work

One of my first jobs was in repo. I leave the keys in my bike. A pro will take it no matter what you do and an amateur will do more damage than a professional trying to circumvent your "protection". BTW, I have left the keys in my motorcycles my entire life and in over 25 countries. Never had a problem.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post
    BTW, I have left the keys in my motorcycles my entire life and in over 25 countries. Never had a problem.
    A friend always did that as well. He never had a problem, except in Yellowknife NWT. Someone removed the keys, not the bike. Cost him a $100 to have a locksmith make him a new key. Despite that, that didn't stop him from leaving the keys in the ignition.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

In Alton, IL there is a popular place called Fast Eddies Bon Aire, local hangout for Harley Riders. A couple of years ago there was a story that more HD's were stolen off their parking lot than anywhere else in IL and that is when the owners were in the restaurant!

Always felt pretty safe parking the Beemer there.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Nick Kennedy
    Carry and use a lightweight full cover and you won't have any trouble, out of sight is the way to go.
    BTW I take extra care with my windscreens and a old pillow case put on first over the windscreen before the cover prevents any scratches.
    I very often leave my bikes in remote places while hiking in the West and I'm convinced the full cover is the reason I've never had any trouble.
    Nick Kennedy