Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle security on a trip?

The second question was if he had any knowledge if the thief was injured when he wrecked bike. "I hope so." was Ron's reply.

Owner sued in car thiefÔÇÖs crash: Two passengers riding in a stolen car that was involved in a wreck sue the carÔÇÖs 91-year-old owner
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Fake it or it is Fake?

While I agree, parking and site selection is a must... at a cafe, park in a space that can be seen from inside or from drive thru window...

I have used a cable on occasion run thru the sleeves of my jacket, draped over the handle bars and lock to frame.....pull of GPS and any other detachable farkles, if I am going to be out of sight of the bike.

For about $5.00 I have a blinking LED light that blinks while the key is turned OFF....and it turns OFF with the key is on.... at night at motel, (like it parked outside my room or visible from room)...I use a Bike Cover just to hide it all....the blinking light glows thru the cover on the bike... Alarm or Fake?

With my blinking LED I have noticed that during the day... lookers will see the light and back up a step or two.....that is worth the price of admission to this project!

Would really like a small label under light saying something like "Drone alert" ...

Lock and lights.... just keep honest people honest....the professional theft knows all the tricks too! ....
    2011 R1200 GSA (My Radio Flyer)
    75 R90/6 with Velorex sidecar

" Oh Lord I pray, Let me live long enough to do everything they say I've done"

Disc lock on side side stand with fork locked and alarm on and flashing.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
    For about $5.00 I have a blinking LED light that blinks while the key is turned OFF....and it turns OFF with the key is on.... at night at motel, (like it parked outside my room or visible from room)...I use a Bike Cover just to hide it all....the blinking light glows thru the cover on the bike... Alarm or Fake?

With my blinking LED I have noticed that during the day... lookers will see the light and back up a step or two.....that is worth the price of admission to this project!
    Now that is neat. Got one of those at the side of the house, but it's way to big for the bike.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Scooter Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    I'm not sayin, but there's always.. .. .

Great minds think alike!

7003435628_0e57d968c0.jpg

And ours too!

Also a good place to replace a blown top end during the 2012 Scooter Cannonball Run!

7003398528_dea5314a6a_n.jpg

Secure parking

Our own Kevin Greenwald (retired LEO) did a great article about 3 years ago in the ON. I've followed his advice and never had a bit of trouble.

Here's what I do at a motel:

Situational awareness: As others have said, be a little choosey about the motel/location. Avoid the rough neighborhoods for sure.
    Park it on the side-stand for stability
    Dick brake lock.....with reminder cable on handlebar
    Try to stay where it can be parked right outside the room, or in a well-lit area
    Pull the side cases
    Cover it....I always do this, and believe that it's a great deterrent
    Be sure the insurance is paid up

Sleep peacefully.
    Piperjim

'95 R1100RS
    '61 John Deere 3010 LP

So what is it about bike covers that prevent stolen bikes

I would have thought it would be a bonus, get a bike and a cover
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

I wish those who get their bike stolen with the key in the ignition the best of luck in getting their insurance company to cover the cost of the theft.

A pro wonÔÇÖt have any problem taking your "ugly" GS and breaking it down for parts.

I cover my bike and park it near the room door or the motel entrance. I stay in a nice area of town and always remove the key and use a lock with an alarm. This wonÔÇÖt stop a real pro, but it will make the thief more likely to take the bike that is not locked and parked away from foot traffic in an unlit area.

E.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Easy View Post
    I wish those who get their bike stolen with the key in the ignition the best of luck in getting their insurance company to cover the cost of the theft.

A pro wonÔÇÖt have any problem taking your "ugly" GS and breaking it down for parts.

I cover my bike and park it near the room door or the motel entrance. I stay in a nice area of town and always remove the key and use a lock with an alarm. This wonÔÇÖt stop a real pro, but it will make the thief more likely to take the bike that is not locked and parked away from foot traffic in an unlit area.

E.
    Based on my law enforcement experience, let's just say you're making a huge presumption that they admit to the claims adjuster that they left the key in the ignition.

But you make very good points.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by sloride View Post

Forces a thief to deal with the hassle of removing the cover to decide if worth stealing, what security measures are in place that have to be defeated and due to time consumption, risks attracting more attention.

Covers do more than just guard against the elements.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Rally Rat
    Covers, like other deterrents, keep the honest people honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    Based on my law enforcement experience, let's just say you're making a huge presumption that they admit to the claims adjuster that they left the key in the ignition.

But you make very good points.
    If the thief is arrested with the key, you will have some serious explaining regarding the false statement on the insurance claim form.

E.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by sloride View Post

The thief doesn't know what is under the cover (it could be something he doesn't want) and taking the cover off takes time and draws attention. The cover shouldn't have anything on it that identifies what is under it.

I had a less that brilliant friend who had Harley stuff all over the outside of the enclosed trailer he hauled two Harleys in. Somebody stole the trailer with the Harleys inside from the motel parking lot. A plain unmarked trailer would not have been bothered.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Motorcycle security on a trip

Back in the day (1980's) Gary Krieger rode an airhead spray painted orange and covered with oil seepage. No chance anyone was going to steal that bike. As I recall it rode well according to Gary....
    sgtbill
    Duty First!
    86 K100RS EML
    2007 F800ST & 2014 F800GS & 2014 F700GS

In KY, key in or key out is 2 separate laws on the thief's end & they get less time one way. more the other. As I understand it can make a difference in insurance coverage?
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.