Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Low Fly Bys

advrider.com
    Nice video and very cool thread.

I hope to someday have some of those lonely desert highway stories you guys have and I'd like to see something like the #1 clip in that video.

When I was a kid, out in the middle of nowhere in Missouri in an old junkyard, an A-10 was flew low right over me. I guess it was heading over to Whiteman, but I've never seen any since. The past 2 times I've been driving on I-270 out in the Hazelwood, MO area, I've had a couple F-15's take off over me.

Classic

It may be old, but here's a classic low pass! http://youtu.be/HX629ZjWD68

Be warned, the reporter's language gets a little "colorful". But if you turn the volume down too much you miss the engine sound.
    Last edited by cehlbeck; 03-24-2013 at 06:57 PM.
    Chris Ehlbeck
    BMWMOA 168990
    Chris & Donna's Motorcycle Journeys

advrider.com
    ..and here's a fly-by so low that it's under this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by donbmw View Post
    Use to see F-4 Phatoms coming down the Mississippi Alabama line of Pickwick Lake. Never seem to have a camera every time.
    A friend's Dad was an Air Force cargo pilot in Vietnam and said that the F-4 Phantom was McDonnell Douglas' proof that if you applied enough thrust, even a brick could fly.
    Chris Ehlbeck
    BMWMOA 168990
    Chris & Donna's Motorcycle Journeys

In the late 1970's, I was on a lonely road somewhere in Nevada on my R75/5. All of a sudden a fighter jet flew over me and fired rockets or something at targets off in the distance. Scared the crap out of me. 25 miles down the road I stopped for fuel and learned that the jets flew over that highway all the time...flight path for target practice.
    George
    R1200RT, K1200RS. Previous K1200LT, R80RT, R100R, R75/5

Quote Originally Posted by txedomoon View Post
    One of the most sad (IMO) impacts of sequestration is the fact the Blue Angels are being grounded for many of their shows this year -- including the Fargo Air Sho. (sic) my house is on the final approach to Hector International and each time the Blues are in town we get one great low-level display. Can damn near see the Ray Bans they are wearing. We take the pictures off the wall that week, but thoroughly enjoy the display.
    Same thing here with the Air Force Academy. No Thunderbird flyby at this year's graduation due to the sequestration. This flyby has been a staple at every AFA graduation since the Academy was established, sad.

Aside from that flyby's at AFA football games are a hoot. I can remember a time when a B-52 flew so low that the cameramen standing on scaffolding ducked their heads.

A coworker who also happens to be a bow hunter told me of a time in was deep in the CO mountains many miles from the nearest dirt road and got surprised by a training flight of A10's. He wasn't happy because it not only surprised the hell out of him but also most of the wildlife in the area.
    Regards,
    Randy
    '99 R1100R & '02 RT
    '06 K12s bumblebee

Back in the early 70s, I used to ride my R69S from Tempe to Gilbert AZ. During certain times of the year, the crop dusters would be working, and we would "fly" together for a mile or two. It was a trip when they would fly under power lines. After many "rides" together, they would often wave to me as they went on their way. It was very cool.