Thread: 07 R12R COLD ...will not start

07 R12R COLD ...will not start

Ok so I need advice......

Just picked up my R12R from local "Honda" dealer where it rested in a warm garage through this New England winter. Rode home and the temp promptly fell to 18 degrees and now she will not start. Plenty of cranking power but either no spark or no fuel. This happened last fall just before I put it up. At that point it did the same thing then a few days later it just started up.

My plan is, when I get some warmth here, to start with the plugs and then move to fuel but not sure how to go about checking for fuel flow.

Are you thinking fuel line freeze? Or is there something in the throttle bodies that could cause this???

Did you open the throttle a wee bit?

07 R12R cold no start

I did but not on the first attempt, so maybe a bit too late. I will try that. Next is to replace plugs to be sure gap is set right and plugs not fouled.

Fresh fuel? Fuel treatment designed for ethanol fuel put in when stored? If no, then I'd suspect bad/separated fuel or gummed up injectors.
    Rusty
    Austin, TX
    Two Wheeled Texans
    2009 R1200GSA

Quote Originally Posted by cycl2day View Post
    Ok so I need advice......

Just picked up my R12R from local "Honda" dealer where it rested in a warm garage through this New England winter. Rode home and the temp promptly fell to 18 degrees and now she will not start. Plenty of cranking power but either no spark or no fuel. This happened last fall just before I put it up. At that point it did the same thing then a few days later it just started up.

My plan is, when I get some warmth here, to start with the plugs and then move to fuel but not sure how to go about checking for fuel flow.

Are you thinking fuel line freeze? Or is there something in the throttle bodies that could cause this???
    MY 2011 is the same way in the cold. Pull in the clutch, give it a bit of throttle and it fires right up.

Was the battery disconnected during storage? If so (or apparently low voltage from battery can be cause too)

Reset the Throttle Position sensor

With a good battery in place... turn key ON... do not attempt a start... open throttle all the way--- release, do this 3 times. turn key OFF. Then do a start...
    Last edited by Atomicman52; 03-20-2013 at 09:31 PM.
    "The Older I Get, the Faster I Was"
    '09 Black Metallic Sapphire "Fully Farkled" RT

I think it's covered in the manual as well as for the cold start, to hold open throttle and press starter at the same time.

Don't quote me on that, but I've had the same trouble as well. Normal.

07 r12r cold

Ok - its warming up a bit - will work on this on Saturday. I'll report results this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by dundee387 View Post
    I think it's covered in the manual as well as for the cold start, to hold open throttle and press starter at the same time.
    Right. The Rider's Manual says on page 67:

If ambient temperatures are
    very low, you might find it necessary to open the throttle slightly when starting the engine. At ambient temperatures below 0 ??C, disengage the clutch after switching on the ignition.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

07 R12R cold start

Once again the value of the forum is evident! My 12R started right up when I turned on the power, disengaged the clutch and opened the throttle a bit. And yes, if I just read my manual there would be no need for help. But then to my wife's frustration, I don't ask for directions either, I would rather experience the joy of being lost and having to find my way back by trial and error (particualrly when on my R).