Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Windshield Care

Aircraft Spruce lists 62 different products for aircraft plastic windows. Nothing smashes bugs like a single engine airplane.
    Jim Dubick
    Boaz, Alabama
    R1200RT,R100/7,KLX250
    BMW MOA, BMW MOALABAMA

Winshield Care

Plexus kept my 85 RT windshield looking new for the 24 years I owned it. I still use it on my 07 GT (Aeroflow) with the same results. I have found that the yellow Kiwi shoe polish cloths work the best for the plastic bits and on my guitars (must be the military brat in me!). I keep things for a long time and my 64 Gibson guitar still looks great (bought it used in 69), apart from the fret wear.
    I always take 3 cloths with me when touring and will soak 1 cloth with water and leave on the windshield (bike, headlight and helmet) to loosen the bugs, let dry, then apply the Plexus (Gibson, or Martin guitar polish on the guitars!) with the 2nd and polish up with the 3rd. Works for me and the can lasts for more than a season. I have also found loose windshield bolts a few times while cleaning, saving me some aggravation. Any polish, or cleaner is better than none, so whatever works for you is great too.
    Marty
    2007 K1200GT
    1985 K100RT bought new, sold 2009

bugs are back...

Dad and brother used Pledge. I used Pledge, then Plexus after a magazine review, then the price went thru the roof. Now I use Honda spray and www.calsci.com home made stuff.

Calsci for the bugs (they are already out in great numbers here in VA!) on the clear plastic. Honda spray on the painted surfaces.

When on a trip, I only carry the one spray bottle of Calsci juice.
    Ken E.
    2012 R1200RT
    '09 RT, '93 K75, '69 R60US and others long gone....

Careful about using the Calsci juice on polycarbonite windshields as it contains ammonia. Calsci's windscreens are made from acrylic which is not sensitive to ammonia.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

What about using a home-mix of water and rubbing alcohol? I've used that on my car windshields for several years with great results, and have used it periodlically on my motorcycle screen as well.

But...after reading this, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any potential issues with 90% rubbing alcohol (diluted approx 5:1)harming the polycarb windscreens?
    David W.
    Public Safety Professional since 1985
    2007 R1200RT
    Dominus pascit me

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    Use Lemon Pledge. You get about the same results for a far cheaper price. Be sure it is Lemon.
    Same here.

I bought a can of Plexus once. It is good, but it isn't anything special, and certainly not at that price.

I use professional ultra-fine polish and my buffer when it comes time to turn my windshield into a new one again.

I'm also a fan of plexus for cleaning my windshield when on the road. It comes in small, convenient bottles.
    I had never tried it on my helmet visor, but after reading about these comments, I 'm going to try it.
    Rob.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    Same here.

I bought a can of Plexus once. It is good, but it isn't anything special, and certainly not at that price.

I use professional ultra-fine polish and my buffer when it comes time to turn my windshield into a new one again.
    I've sampled some 'backyard brews' when it comes to cleaners, but always went back to Plexus. Now, it's all I buy.

Price can be very appealing from a volume dealer, as the quantities they order are often reflected in the cost to you.

Just got back from 4 days of riding around the scenic mountains of Colorado with my son, including making it up past the timeberline to 12,600 ft. on Pike's Peak before snow and high winds made for a prudent decision to turn back. Stopped in at a MEGA-dealer just south of Denver on Arapahoe Road - by mega I mean 350+ NEW motorcycles on display - kid you not. Had to get my son's rear tire replaced (ran over something at 75 MPH on I-25 - pretty rapid deflation - he got over to the shoulder safely though - I plugged the leak but he opted for a new tire - got a PR III - nice rubber!) at this Honda/Ducati/KTM/Kawasaki dealer - Fay something?

Plexus and the protective chemical '303' are both usually expensive items at smaller businesses. Not here - both cheap - he stocked up.

Since I flew out there (rented from Denver EagleRider), I opted not to buy Plexus in bulk, as I didn't want to piss off the TSA. They were already annoyed in Milwaukee by my helmet bag - searched twice - told it resembled a pressure cooker in dimension - really - really?!).

Try to buy Plexus at big motorcycle dealers - price could be better. Home-made concoctions not in the same league - just frugal imitations unlikely to show up at the US Patent Office.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    Home-made concoctions not in the same league.
    Lemon Pledge isn't exactly "home made".

I've used both and the difference isn't worth talking about...if there even is one.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    Lemon Pledge isn't exactly "home made".

I've used both and the difference isn't worth talking about...if there even is one.
    Glad the Pledge works for you. Not 'dissing' your choice.

Just wanted to inform that Plexus can be had for a lot less than normally charged, if you can find a big enough dealer.

May our shields be forever clear and the wind always at our back!

Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    Glad the Pledge works for you. Not 'dissing' your choice.
    What these products like Lemon Pledge are good for is creating a barrier so that at the end of the day, bugs can easily be wiped off of the windshield in a single pass of a damp micro-fiber cloth.

That alone greatly reduces the chance of scratching the windshield over time.

Hey, I can use the bolt text feature as well.

What about "Dollar Store" "pledge like" products? Or the newer non-aerosol (real) Pledge? perhaps a new thread?
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

This thread again reminds me of the line
    "The cheapest thing on a BMW is the rider."
    Kansas. Eleven curves in three hundred eighteen miles...
    '09 R1200RT
    N0PGH
    Iron Butt Assoc. #47865

otherwise
    WATER, plenty of water, massaged in gently with the palm of my hand (clock-wise circles only).

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by brisco View Post
    This thread again reminds me of the line
    "The cheapest thing on a BMW is the rider."
    Amen to that!