Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bmw abs class action

Quote Originally Posted by PineGreen View Post
    Just reenforces my opinion, 99.99% of lawyers give the rest of them a bad name.
    Why is it acceptable to take totally cheap shots at lawyers?
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    Why is it acceptable to take totally cheap shots at lawyers?
    Because 99%of those goof balls in DC are lawyers?
    B-est M-otorcycle (in the) W-orld
    Have Bike - Will Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    What lawyers? This all goes to a small Inde shop in BC, Canada called SW Adventure Motorsports:
    Attachment 39257

As far as I can tell they are not lawyers, there is no Class Action lawsuit, and you can only find out who is behind this by doing a WHOIS on the domain name.

Pays to do a little digging before casting your personal information into the Internet abyss...
    Thanks, Ted. :thumb
    Last edited by rinty; 03-24-2013 at 01:56 AM.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by PineGreen View Post
    Just reenforces my opinion, 99.99% of lawyers give the rest of them a bad name.
    Actually it is the other way around. 1% give the rest of us a bad name. Usually they advertise a lot...
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

/mod-hat-on

Random shots at any profession are not acceptable behavior on the MOA forum. Just so you know.

mod-hat-off/
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by BinkleyLane View Post
    Because 99%of those goof balls in DC are lawyers?
    Actually, by the numbers, some would argue we need more lawyers in Congress
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Actually, by the numbers, some would argue we need more lawyers in Congress
    I stand corrected. Very informative stats.

Not dissing anyone or profession, just my opnion. I think get get to have one?
    B-est M-otorcycle (in the) W-orld
    Have Bike - Will Ride

Originally posted by Brinkleylane:
    >just my opnion. I think get get to have one?<

For the time being....but watch out for Mwraps driving around your neighborhood.

Ken
    IBA #44567
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Quote Originally Posted by prestaino View Post
    No not really for free just reasonable or how about this a rebuild kit or some other possibilities??? When a valve or a piston goes in your engine do you have to by a new engine???? Or a gear or bearing in the trans a whole new trans???
    You seem to wish this item to be DIY rebuildable. You won't find many spare parts offered anywhere for critical safety components. I'd suspect these units are built in clean-room or laboratory conditions--hard for BMW to assume just anybody can do this and whether the DIYer will just replace one component when age, wear, etc., would suggest replacing most of them. There appears to be somebody attempting to establish a mom/pop business repairing these and good luck to them. Still, really no reason for BMW to get into the business of "certifying" such operations and they'll likely continue to limit their approach to full replacement with new unit. There's nothing particularly sinister about this approach even if it is percieved as expensive.

This is the sort of thing that's going to be occurring across the automotive industry.

For example, my service information for my SUV indicates the batteries in my tire pressure monitoring system sensors have a 7-year life and I'm looking at replacement of these sensors--at $200 each--in the near future. No, the batteries are not DIY replacable, nor should they be, as a 7 years is a pretty good lifetime for all the components of the sensor, which lives in a pretty harsh environment.

Lots of cars--and the gov't is about to mandate all--now come with traction control, which is just an expansion of what ABS can do. It's just going to be tough for folks to enter the market on the cheap buying used bikes or cars and not expect to encounter some pretty expensive repairs of electromechanical components. Yes, there's a pretty robust Federal gov't recall system regarding safety components, but it's not certain to me unlimited life is a requirement.

It would be good to interpret the fact that BMW's making ABS now standard equipment on all models indicates their increasing concern as regards their liability. I'd expect ASC (traction control) to be the next thing made standard. Then maybe next free rider training made mandatory for bike purchase (like Porsche just about). Given the maybe dangers of motorcycling, lets rather just hope motorcycles can continue to even exist in our society. Pretty much frivolous "class actions" is not a way to help that.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

One thing to remember also, for a long time ABS I brains were just paperweights if they threw the dreaded Code 7. Then some ingenious fellow in Japan took the time (and a significant amount of time it must have been) to dissect the complete inner workings and figure out how to fix them. Now folks have a $200 or so option when those lights start to blink.

Not saying that might happen any time soon with today's brains, but there sure seems to be a developing market for such a thing...
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    So if a part wears out and it's an expensive part, the replacement should be free?

I would like to be rebuilt, put back to say 25ish, dispute my neglect and poor maintenance
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

One thing to remember also, for a long time ABS I brains were just paperweights if they threw the dreaded Code 7. Then some ingenious fellow in Japan took the time (and a significant amount of time it must have been) to dissect the complete inner workings and figure out how to fix them. Now folks have a $200 or so option when those lights start to blink.

Not saying that might happen any time soon with today's brains, but there sure seems to be a developing market for such a thing...
    ModuleMasters already is doing this with several of the BMW bike ABS systems. They have a great reputation in the BMW car community, and are developing a great reputation in the bike community. Costs are similar to getting the ABS-I brain rebuilt. One of those things where if there is a market for something, someone comes along to satisfy the market need.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Nickname: Droid
    Making component cost comparisons between cars and a small market motorcycle is irrelevent to the discussion. Most cars are built in quantities FAR greater than motorcycles, even the most popular ones. Parts like a final drive on a car can be built with much larger, heavier components, same for electronics. Because cycle parts are made in far less quantities than car parts it stands to reason the cycle parts would be more expensive. Car ABS controllers aren't serviceable, so motorcycle ABS controllers should be? Also, if it were rebuildable, and you rebuilt it wrong, and a crash resulted because of that error, who is to blame?

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    /mod-hat-on

Random shots at any profession are not acceptable behavior on the MOA forum. Just so you know.

mod-hat-off/
    Then it's a good thing the comment wasn't random, it seemed directed to me!

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    Then it's a good thing the comment wasn't random, it seemed directed to me!
    You too, eh?
    Dan