Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Oxidized Wheel Hubs R60/5

Cleaning Oxidized Wheel Hubs R60/5

Hi Gang,

Making progress - swing arm back on today and new driveshaft bolts in as well as "das boot" (driveshaft gaiter)

Trying to figure out how to clean rear wheel with tire on it and off bike - almost seems easier if I do it with wheel installed on bike - have no idea how I can get my hands inside the hub to hit the brush on the heavily oxidized hub - any suggestions? A friend says he uses rubbing compound but still, how can I get in - all the grooves & such.
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

When I was a kid we kept our bicycle hubs shiny by placing leather rings (made from old belts) around the hubs. Worked great too! I've actually thought about some sort of 2 piece brush that assembled around the hub but figured a MC's hubs centrifugal force and the friction of the alu casting would keep it from having any scrubbing action thereon? Hard to do on bike or with tire. Mine are going to be blasted while the old spokes are gone. Spray with strong cleaner and pressure washer on bike? Maybe something like a huge dental water pic? or steam cleaning just the hubs-I used that on lift trucks in a factory before wrenching to remove enough grunge to see the nuts & bolts.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    When I was a kid we kept our bicycle hubs shiny by placing leather rings (made from old belts) around the hubs. Worked great too! I've actually thought about some sort of 2 piece brush that assembled around the hub but figured a MC's hubs centrifugal force and the friction of the alu casting would keep it from having any scrubbing action thereon? Hard to do on bike or with tire. Mine are going to be blasted while the old spokes are gone. Spray with strong cleaner and pressure washer on bike? Maybe something like a huge dental water pic? or steam cleaning just the hubs-I used that on lift trucks in a factory before wrenching to remove enough grunge to see the nuts & bolts.
    Was thinking best route would be to remove tires & tubes & send to a shop - saw in resources & links about a shop in Denver that specializes in wheels - anyone worked with this firm before?

May just do my best to clean them, ride the bike this season and make this next winters project
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

Ken, it's not a H-D so no need to polish, just give them a good cleaning with a baby bottle brush. This way you save yourself a bunch of time as well as having a "patina" on the bike. Send pix, we need pix! -Bengt

Quote Originally Posted by mcrenshaw View Post
    Ken, it's not a H-D so no need to polish, just give them a good cleaning with a baby bottle brush. This way you save yourself a bunch of time as well as having a "patina" on the bike. Send pix, we need pix! -Bengt
    Thanks, Mike - will take a B4 and After - see how it goes it the weather gets above 30 in this g-d forsaken place!
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

Quote Originally Posted by kentuvman View Post
    see how it goes it the weather gets above 30 in this g-d forsaken place!
    Hey...careful, that's my home town (well, St. Paul anyway)!! My aunt says that things should begin to look up...next month! That's why I only visit in the "good" months.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

oxidized aluminum

Marvel Mystery Oil is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Hey...careful, that's my home town (well, St. Paul anyway)!! My aunt says that things should begin to look up...next month! That's why I only visit in the "good" months.
    Soon to be my Ex-home town (at least in the winters) See, Kurt - you got smart and moved to San Antonio - would love to hook up for coffee when you're here!
    Last edited by kentuvman; 03-22-2013 at 05:58 PM. Reason: sp
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

Quote Originally Posted by Krpntr View Post
    Marvel Mystery Oil is your friend.
    Seems like it would make a huge mess! My wife's already livid with me for having the bike in our porch! She says it's going to forever smell like motorcycle - I promised her it will not!
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

A few drops on a rag. Wipe and done. No need to make a mess. It will dissolve the oxidation with no need for vigorous polishing.

If you have time to read go to ADV & in "The Garage" and find the fairly recent thread on cleaning aluminum. My 2 cents is there's nothing like a clean hub/spokes rims to make a MC look better & to be able to see cracks,etc.. If the tires stay on decide what you want on them? I'm in the Marvel aint such a marvel crowd-you could use ATF and accomplish the same?
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    If you have time to read go to ADV & in "The Garage" and find the fairly recent thread on cleaning aluminum. My 2 cents is there's nothing like a clean hub/spokes rims to make a MC look better & to be able to see cracks,etc.. If the tires stay on decide what you want on them? I'm in the Marvel aint such a marvel crowd-you could use ATF and accomplish the same?
    Yes I agree. I am no chemist, but I can not tell the difference between the two except the sounds the words make when you say it six times fast. They seem do the same thing.

check out Meguiars Hot Rims Aluminum Wheel Cleaner
    John Simonds
    2008 R 1200 GSA
    1975 850 Norton Roadster
    If it ain"t broke... fix it till it is.

Be sure and try cleaning the aluminum in the least noticeable spot. Some of these cleaners will dull the aluminum, depending on the type of acid they contain. Oak recommends Alumina-Nu Screen Door cleaner. I've used that in the past on some /2 valve covers and other engine parts, and it left a dark stain, which I had to work hard to get rid of. Fortunately, I wasn't having to work around spokes, etc., and I was able to rub out or lessen the visible nature of the dark stain.
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by kentuvman View Post
    Soon to be my Ex-home town (at least in the winters) See, Kurt - you got smart and moved to San Antonio - would love to hook up for coffee when you're here!