Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27

Thread: Cleaning Oxidized Wheel Hubs R60/5

  1. #1
    Registered User kentuvman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    875

    Cleaning Oxidized Wheel Hubs R60/5

    Hi Gang,

    Making progress - swing arm back on today and new driveshaft bolts in as well as "das boot" (driveshaft gaiter)

    Trying to figure out how to clean rear wheel with tire on it and off bike - almost seems easier if I do it with wheel installed on bike - have no idea how I can get my hands inside the hub to hit the brush on the heavily oxidized hub - any suggestions? A friend says he uses rubbing compound but still, how can I get in - all the grooves & such.
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eastern KY
    Posts
    3,231
    When I was a kid we kept our bicycle hubs shiny by placing leather rings (made from old belts) around the hubs. Worked great too! I've actually thought about some sort of 2 piece brush that assembled around the hub but figured a MC's hubs centrifugal force and the friction of the alu casting would keep it from having any scrubbing action thereon? Hard to do on bike or with tire. Mine are going to be blasted while the old spokes are gone. Spray with strong cleaner and pressure washer on bike? Maybe something like a huge dental water pic? or steam cleaning just the hubs-I used that on lift trucks in a factory before wrenching to remove enough grunge to see the nuts & bolts.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

  3. #3
    Registered User kentuvman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    When I was a kid we kept our bicycle hubs shiny by placing leather rings (made from old belts) around the hubs. Worked great too! I've actually thought about some sort of 2 piece brush that assembled around the hub but figured a MC's hubs centrifugal force and the friction of the alu casting would keep it from having any scrubbing action thereon? Hard to do on bike or with tire. Mine are going to be blasted while the old spokes are gone. Spray with strong cleaner and pressure washer on bike? Maybe something like a huge dental water pic? or steam cleaning just the hubs-I used that on lift trucks in a factory before wrenching to remove enough grunge to see the nuts & bolts.
    Was thinking best route would be to remove tires & tubes & send to a shop - saw in resources & links about a shop in Denver that specializes in wheels - anyone worked with this firm before?

    May just do my best to clean them, ride the bike this season and make this next winters project
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

  4. #4
    Macrunch MCrenshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Bedford, TX
    Posts
    79
    Ken, it's not a H-D so no need to polish, just give them a good cleaning with a baby bottle brush. This way you save yourself a bunch of time as well as having a "patina" on the bike. Send pix, we need pix! -Bengt

  5. #5
    Registered User kentuvman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrenshaw View Post
    Ken, it's not a H-D so no need to polish, just give them a good cleaning with a baby bottle brush. This way you save yourself a bunch of time as well as having a "patina" on the bike. Send pix, we need pix! -Bengt
    Thanks, Mike - will take a B4 and After - see how it goes it the weather gets above 30 in this g-d forsaken place!
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

  6. #6
    Administrator 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    13,042
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuvman View Post
    see how it goes it the weather gets above 30 in this g-d forsaken place!
    Hey...careful, that's my home town (well, St. Paul anyway)!! My aunt says that things should begin to look up...next month! That's why I only visit in the "good" months.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  7. #7
    Registered User krpntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mt Vernon WA
    Posts
    409

    oxidized aluminum

    Marvel Mystery Oil is your friend.

  8. #8
    Registered User kentuvman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Hey...careful, that's my home town (well, St. Paul anyway)!! My aunt says that things should begin to look up...next month! That's why I only visit in the "good" months.
    Soon to be my Ex-home town (at least in the winters) See, Kurt - you got smart and moved to San Antonio - would love to hook up for coffee when you're here!
    Last edited by kentuvman; 03-22-2013 at 05:58 PM. Reason: sp
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

  9. #9
    Registered User kentuvman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by Krpntr View Post
    Marvel Mystery Oil is your friend.
    Seems like it would make a huge mess! My wife's already livid with me for having the bike in our porch! She says it's going to forever smell like motorcycle - I promised her it will not!
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

  10. #10
    Registered User krpntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mt Vernon WA
    Posts
    409
    A few drops on a rag. Wipe and done. No need to make a mess. It will dissolve the oxidation with no need for vigorous polishing.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eastern KY
    Posts
    3,231
    If you have time to read go to ADV & in "The Garage" and find the fairly recent thread on cleaning aluminum. My 2 cents is there's nothing like a clean hub/spokes rims to make a MC look better & to be able to see cracks,etc.. If the tires stay on decide what you want on them? I'm in the Marvel aint such a marvel crowd-you could use ATF and accomplish the same?
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

  12. #12
    Registered User krpntr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mt Vernon WA
    Posts
    409
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    If you have time to read go to ADV & in "The Garage" and find the fairly recent thread on cleaning aluminum. My 2 cents is there's nothing like a clean hub/spokes rims to make a MC look better & to be able to see cracks,etc.. If the tires stay on decide what you want on them? I'm in the Marvel aint such a marvel crowd-you could use ATF and accomplish the same?
    Yes I agree. I am no chemist, but I can not tell the difference between the two except the sounds the words make when you say it six times fast. They seem do the same thing.

  13. #13
    Watch This!!! junkjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dennis, MA
    Posts
    3,253
    check out Meguiars Hot Rims Aluminum Wheel Cleaner
    John Simonds
    2008 R 1200 GSA
    1975 850 Norton Roadster
    If it ain"t broke... fix it till it is.

  14. #14
    Administrator 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    13,042
    Be sure and try cleaning the aluminum in the least noticeable spot. Some of these cleaners will dull the aluminum, depending on the type of acid they contain. Oak recommends Alumina-Nu Screen Door cleaner. I've used that in the past on some /2 valve covers and other engine parts, and it left a dark stain, which I had to work hard to get rid of. Fortunately, I wasn't having to work around spokes, etc., and I was able to rub out or lessen the visible nature of the dark stain.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  15. #15
    Administrator 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    13,042
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuvman View Post
    Soon to be my Ex-home town (at least in the winters) See, Kurt - you got smart and moved to San Antonio - would love to hook up for coffee when you're here!
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •