Thread: New RT

Ponch
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Let the fever begin..

Nice job spotting the article and forwarding it, Ponch. Can't make out much but some radiator slats on the side. Nice neighborhood! How much fun it can be to get stuck riding pillion without the topbox bolted on?
    12 R1200 RT
    83 R100 RT

Ponch
    There are several pictures, so take a look. It's similar to the current yet different in some major ways. Looks more sport oriented.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Nice find.
    Australia N,S,W
    Mid North Coast
    2014 R1200RT LC/SE

Do you think they went to a dual exhaust, switched sides or is the right side muffler camouflage?

I see it now, switched sides.
    B-est M-otorcycle (in the) W-orld
    Have Bike - Will Ride

Droptine1968
    Quote Originally Posted by BinkleyLane View Post
    Do you think they went to a dual exhaust, switched sides or is the right side muffler camouflage?

I see it now, switched sides.
    I noticed that also. I was thinking dual mufflers on the first pic, then I noticed the othe pic with the view from behind. Unless camera was pointing at a mirror that had the bike in view, the whole rearend is reversed on this bike with the shaft and paralever arm are on the left side of the tire. I think I'd read that there was a couple BMW K models that the front and rear tires were off set about a half inch instead of centered to each other. I wonder if that's what this rear end reversal might be indicating.
    2005 R1200RT

The WC GS switched the muffler and FD around as well - I'm sure that's what going on with the new RT here.
    "Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue..."
    Current ride: 2012 R1200RT
    MOA #175432
    BMW RA #41108

Looking at the pictures again, the headlights appear to be very similar to the K1600. Adaptive? Radiator inlets appear under the headlights off to the sides with the outlets over and forward of the cylinders. The fairing midsection is much "fatter" hiding the radiators and ducting. The windshield shape is about the same as the 2010+ Camhead. The cast wheels appear simpler which might make them easier to clean. The "waist" section looks thinner ala GS wethead. I don't care for the rear section of the front fender or mudguard. Way too "pretty" providing almost no protection. Easily fixed though. BMW kept the same "armpit view" mirrors. I thought they might engineer them more along the lines of the K1600 but it appears they wanted to keep extra weather protection. No more oil cooler grille.

With the stiffer chassis I bet it handles like a dream.
    Last edited by wvpc; 03-22-2013 at 04:57 PM. Reason: spell check
    12 R1200 RT
    83 R100 RT

Droptine1968
    Now maybe they'll put an actual refill hole and cap for the final drive oil on this one instead of having to remove the rear wheel and speedo sensor, which will then make it easier to get the correct amount of oil in it.
    2005 R1200RT

fd oil drain

Quote Originally Posted by droptine1968 View Post
    Now maybe they'll put an actual refill hole and cap for the final drive oil on this one instead of having to remove the rear wheel and speedo sensor, which will then make it easier to get the correct amount of oil in it.
    My 09 GS has drain and fill plugs. I don't know about the camheads but would really be supprised if they didn't as well. Might check Max online fisch.
    74 R90/6 and 09 R1200GS. member of Christian Motorcyclist Association. Ride for Jesus!

Droptine1968
    Quote Originally Posted by dpmonk View Post
    My 09 GS has drain and fill plugs. I don't know about the camheads but would really be supprised if they didn't as well. Might check Max online fisch.
    I think on all 05 and 06 RT1200RT's, are the ones that are the royal pain to drain. I've only had shaft driven bikes, and my 05 RT is the only one without a specific easy to get to drain and fill holes.
    2005 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by wvpc View Post
    Looking at the pictures again, the headlights appear to be very similar to the K1600. Adaptive?
    Looks like it. They have the BMW "halo" look to them and the camouflaged section between the two lights looks like it would be the right size for the adaptive headlight. I also agree, single exhaust reversed with the FD like the new GS. I would guess that the drive train and radiator set-up is identical for easy of manufacturing and cost savings.
    Craig
    New York's Hudson Valley Region
    2009 R1200RT
    MOA #146131 IBA #55715

Touring Jarhead jeepinbanditrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by droptine1968 View Post
    I think on all 05 and 06 RT1200RT's, are the ones that are the royal pain to drain. I've only had shaft driven bikes, and my 05 RT is the only one without a specific easy to get to drain and fill holes.

That was back when they were supposed to be life time drain intervals right? lol.
    2007 F800ST
    1997 DR350SE
    1978 GS1000E

Droptine1968
    Quote Originally Posted by Downs View Post
    That was back when they were supposed to be life time drain intervals right? lol.
    "Life Time" is a cable network. It is not a truthful description of anything related to anything mechanical.
    2005 R1200RT