Thread: Motorcycle dolly?

Motorcycle dolly?

Anyone use a dolly to move their bike(s) around the shop/garage? What do you recommend? Experiences?
    We don't take a trip...the trip takes us.

2006 BMW R1200GS
    2008 BMW R1200RT

Park n move

I have two of the park-n-move units, one for each BMW in a very small garage. They are low, easy to use, and great to have.

Don

Motorcycle dolly?

I've played with these (and similar) at the Chicago motorcycle show the last couple of years. Very nice.

http://www.redlinestands.com/catalog...enid=ehbkuzgbx

I've read that these are pretty sensitive to irregularities in the floor. True?

2006 BMW R1200GS
    2008 BMW R1200RT

Motorcycle dolly?

The one I played with had at least 2.5" wheels and the floor had cracks and such. I guess it depends on your definition of "irregularities"?

I have a Park'n move

If the floor is swept and clear they roll fine - however sand or even fine gravel will be a problem when rolling the bike. I also need to use a small ramp to elevate the rear wheel to get her up on the center stand - my KGT weighs in at probably 565 wet and I have a difficulty getting onto the PNM without the ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by Beemer01 View Post
    my KGT weighs in at probably 565 wet and I have a difficulty getting onto the PNM without the ramp.
    You need to add 100 pounds to that figure
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I have the more traditional long rail/tray with a side spot for the kickstand. Works OK, not like I move it around a lot on it, and not quickly. Picked it up used for about $75/ so not much invested either.

I've had a Park-n-Move and the Turn-a-Bike "saddle" dollies. Both are well built and a great solution to auto-bike coexistence.

The castors on the Turn a Bike seem to be nicer. The aluminum seems nicer too.

My early GS has the "off center" center stand that made putting it on the Park-n-Move a challenge. The Turnanike rides lower so it's easier. Notice I did not say easy! Most Beemer owners will never have this problem- but I pull my rear wheel on to a wood "shim" about an inch thick. It makes it much easier to get up on the dolly.

Hope that helps.
    Two Wheel Oklahoma
    It's like a TV show, but on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by maduko View Post
    I've had a Park-n-Move and the Turn-a-Bike "saddle" dollies. Both are well built and a great solution to auto-bike coexistence.

The castors on the Turn a Bike seem to be nicer. The aluminum seems nicer too.

My early GS has the "off center" center stand that made putting it on the Park-n-Move a challenge. The Turnanike rides lower so it's easier. Notice I did not say easy! Most Beemer owners will never have this problem- but I pull my rear wheel on to a wood "shim" about an inch thick. It makes it much easier to get up on the dolly.

Hope that helps.
    This is an excellent mini-review. I'm leaning towards the Turn-a-Bike dolly and this helps me to decide. Now if I could just find a nice, "never-used" used one...anyone?....anyone?

2006 BMW R1200GS
    2008 BMW R1200RT