Thread: replacement shocks for r90/6

replacement shocks for r90/6

hi all,

has anybody used a set of the replica replacement shocks from bob's BMW?

http://store.bobsbmw.com/product/bob...974-76-6--r90s

i need to replace my shocks, and i want to keep the stock appearance of my bike. so i'm looking to see if anybody here has tried them.

thanks,

-eric
    BMWMOA #182796

'76 R90/6

At 120k miles, I replaced the originals with Ikons. I liked the Ikons/Koni reputation and are also rebuildable.

Mike Horne
    76 R90/6
    93 R100R Legend

FYI...the "son of" shocks for Koni is the Ikon.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

but i like the aluminum shroud, and as far as i can see, the ikons don't have that stock appearance:

http://www.ikonsuspensionusa.com/servlet/Detail?no=1
    BMWMOA #182796

'76 R90/6

Take a look at Hagon shocks. If you like what you see then call Dave Quinn a call and he'll help you size them. Hagon does have shocks with chrome shrouds although not Girling look alikes. I put a pair on the R65 and it was an amazing difference in the ride.

just replaced mine

I just replaced my original shocks when I had to replace the final drive. I had it all apart so I figures this is a good time.

I installed shocks from Progressive Suspension. I tried to disassemble the originals to reuse the aluminum shroud but the originals were stubborn. So with help, I torched the originals apart to salvage the shrouds. They were pretty easy to install onto the new shocks instead of the cheap plastic supplied with the aluminum shrouds. They don't look exactly original but here is a pic.

shocks.jpg

They ride very nicely

brian
    1976 R90/6
    Member# 174498

Quote Originally Posted by ezwicky View Post
    but i like the aluminum shroud, and as far as i can see, the ikons don't have that stock appearance:

http://www.ikonsuspensionusa.com/servlet/Detail?no=1
    You can get your original shrouds off and buff them up if you're patient. FWIW

Bluenoser
    Motobins in the UK sells stainless steel shrouds for these shocks.

Somebody said be patient to take the olds ones off. Please explain, I would like to know how to do this as my springs need repainting. Shocks are still go, no leaks etc., just the springs are rough looking.
    1971 R50/5 SWB with R75/6 drivetrain
    2013 DL650

The trick is compressing the coils enough to get a wrench on the flats on the rod that's under the top rod. I used hose clamps looped through the coils but its a major pita. I'm sure there's got to be a better way.

Saltwater

Yes I have them... but not the same bike as you

I have Bob's shocks on my 1978 R80/7, but the non upper shroud version. They are the same, but no aluminum shroud. Frankly, I can't tell the riding difference between OEM and Bob's. The originals that came with my non running, $800 mini storage queen had rust and flaking chrome, so that was the main reason for replacement. No oil leaking. Bob's claims they can be rebuilt, but I see no way to disassemble them. They look just like the OEM's, all welded, and no way to access internals. I Googled the manufacture shown on the warrantee, but they don't come up. Just reporting my observations so far -- new to airhead ownership, and do 100% of my wrenching, but not an experienced expert in any way. They perform well, and look fine.

Rally Rat

Shocks

Wait a min. here! The question was about the repro shocks from Bob's. So let's try to answer the question that was asked. My experience is that I put a set on a restoration that I did two years ago, at the customer's request. To the best of my knowledge, they're still working like new and are the equivalent of the original Boge (sp) shocks that came on the bike.
    So with that in mind, I bought a pair for the restoration that I'm doing for myself. If you look at the reproduction shocks, you'll notice that the top mount/eyebolt is different from the original. So, I think, I'll just replace it with an original top piece, to make it look original. Well, it turns out that the thread pitch is different, so I had to drill out the original top piece and use a Heli-Coil with the right thread pitch to make it work. Just so you know.
    Boxerbruce

P Monk

I bought Bob's shocks

They don't do anything for me. If you really want them I would trade for some good Ikons or Hagons.
    P. Monk
    My prized possessions. 74 R90/6 Mine! (also know by bride as the Black Hole). 09 R1200 GS. My wife, 1953 model who has survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant. My most prized possession is my relationship with Jesus!

Quote Originally Posted by cycleman2 View Post
    Motobins in the UK sells stainless steel shrouds for these shocks.

Somebody said be patient to take the olds ones off. Please explain, I would like to know how to do this as my springs need repainting. Shocks are still go, no leaks etc., just the springs are rough looking.
    just because they are not leaking does not mean that they are "still go(od)". If original, they are over 40 years old. Shocks are a wear item, as well as a safety component.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

The trick is compressing the coils enough to get a wrench on the flats on the rod that's under the top rod. I used hose clamps looped through the coils but its a major pita. I'm sure there's got to be a better way.

There absolutely is a better way...

Here's 'Bum's article on the subject. > http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/tools.htm
    Another old thread on the subject > http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...k%20compressor

But there are all kinds of ways to accomplish the task... once you know what has to be done. Once you get the aluminum cover (along with the coil spring) compressed far enough to get a thin 10mm wrench on the flats (ground onto the shock strut) you simply unthread the cast aluminum mounting "eyelet" on the end of the strut.

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

went with hagons from dave quinn

Quote Originally Posted by mcrenshaw View Post
    Take a look at Hagon shocks. If you like what you see then call Dave Quinn a call and he'll help you size them. Hagon does have shocks with chrome shrouds although not Girling look alikes. I put a pair on the R65 and it was an amazing difference in the ride.
    i just did exactly that. ordered the classic I with stainless body and shroud, and black spring.

looks almost identical to old stock one that i had on my 75/6 back in the '80s. dave seems like a good guy. i like dealing with small businesses.

http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/...IN_SHOCKS.html

scroll down to the last picture. i ordered number 3. by the way, according to the hagon UK site, that hagon logo peels off

thanks everybody for contributing to this thread.

-eric
    BMWMOA #182796

'76 R90/6