Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: My demo ride on the new Waterhead GS!

Quote Originally Posted by kltk165 View Post
    This is the one thing I'm most interested to hear about with regards to the new waterhead. Where is it going to direct the heat from the motor. Especially on the RT version that won't be as accomodating with cool air.
    The Gen 1 KRS/KGT had a dual radiator set up. I owned one and I did notice the heat on hot days, but only if I let my knee get way out in the breeze for a stretch.

I'll bet the new GS/RT will direct the heat in a similar way.

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    As regards, the alternator, clearly there's no belt adjustment. I'd even doubt there are brushes to replace, but don't know that for sure.

Bosch can build nearly indestructable alternators if given the funding. My son still runs my old 1988 Mercedes 300TE that's still on its original alternator. It's not the same as chebbies and fords. I recall once replacing the failed Delco starter on my Opel with a Bosch from a junkyard. That many more subsequent miles with no problems.

I'd agree expectations of BMW aren't as high as they maybe used to be, but surely the alternator will make it past the warranty period. (!)

Frankly, I think there's unfounded expectations that anything automotive can be bulletproof. I nevertheless always hasten to add that a German vehicle is usually closer to being a Ferrari than it is a Camry. Some TLC required, but oh the fun! But if you want to talk yourself out of one, you certainly can.

Yeah, if it makes it past the warranty period, its your problem. I'd rather it fail sooner so its their problem and I've got time to dump it.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

AZrider

H2O heat

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    A member of the Pelican S forum test rode the new GS and loved it. He did have one concern, on a cool day he felt a fair amount of heat on the riders area from the radiators.
    was 49 at 7am in Prescott bike is cooler to ride then K13GT or R12RT the temp went up to 85 here in Phoenix valley. Ride was not hot did not feel heat from raditors. hand grips on high at 50 deg at 70 MPH felt like K13GT on low setting
    R1200WGS 2013

Quote Originally Posted by 40624 View Post
    was 49 at 7am in Prescott bike is cooler to ride then K13GT or R12RT the temp went up to 85 here in Phoenix valley. Ride was not hot did not feel heat from raditors. hand grips on high at 50 deg at 70 MPH felt like K13GT on low setting
    Ride it this summer and get back to us.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Quote Originally Posted by 40624 View Post
    You need heated grips at 50˚? It was 92 on the way home on the 202 today. I really don't notice the engine heat as much as the lack of airflow. The Calsci XL was great in Iowa, not so much here.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19