Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Camping Gota Have Gota Leave

Quote Originally Posted by ARGENT BRICK View Post
    Let's take this a step farther. We will use a +40 degree rated sleeping bag as an example. Normally, a bag rated at plus forty degrees will allow you to survive in a forty degree environment, but you will not be happy or comfortable. Most experienced adventurers will carry a bag that is rated colder than their conditions call for.
    Experience is the key, not hard and fast rules about ratings. I sleep very warm. I am quite comfortable in my +45 degree bag at +45 (when in a tent on my insulated-with-down air mattress). That will be about the only time I bother zipping it up. My +25 bag is useless for me at +45 as I'm too hot and throw the bag off... then I'm too cold. Back and forth all night between too hot and too cold. I learned this the hard way which is why I now have the +45 bag.

Heating Pad

Yes, really, I do. When < 40 degrees I ride with electric vest, why not have electric sleeping bag?

Most of the places I camp have electricity, KOAs, State Parks, private RV parks. I plug in my extension cord, run it into my sleeping bag, plug it in while I'm getting settled for the night. Slip in the bag and I'm all toasty. Once I road with a twin electric blanket, that was luxury.

Bag and Liner?

Should I get a sleeping bag and liner? That way I can sleep in the liner only for those $29/night hotels?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisSkor View Post
    Should I get a sleeping bag and liner? That way I can sleep in the liner only for those $29/night hotels?
    A liner for your bag certainly cant hurt anything. It may even make your bag a little warmer. Some people even get sleeping bags that have a removable Gore-tex case for the outside of the bag. That way they don't need a tent. Of course you could just use the liner and the case in warmer weather.
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

Quote Originally Posted by jdubick View Post
    Ian, you need to lay off on the SPAM!

Did you miss my article "SPAM on a Stick?"

I only eat SPAM when motocamping ... It soothes the soul.

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    Back and forth all night between too hot and too cold. I learned this the hard way which is why I now have the +45 bag.
    I have a nice inexpensive Kelty bag for summer that only has insulation on one side... packs really small and gives you the option of sleeping with only a thin cloth "sheet" when it's really warm.

Ian

Smile

My bag is rated at 45deg F. I use a Coleman air mattress for comfort and when its cold I place a mylar emergency blanket between the sleeping bag and the air mattress. Last Friday morning in Daytona there was frost on my tent but I was comfortable. A light weight microfiber blanket was used that covered my sleeping bag head to toe. The emergency mylar/reflective foil blankets are cheap and pack very small (pack of cigarettes size). An MSR Dragonfly stove and Jetboil provide hot coffee, tea, hot chocolate, etc to chase away the morning chill. This was my first time using a Redverz tent and I really appreciate the ability to stand up and change clothes. The large stand up vestibule/porch is a great feature that gets you out of the wind or sun and the 3 access panels can be adjusted for ventilation. I will no longer need to carry my 12x12 para-wing for shade and have ample room for my Kermit chair and table. The "gotta have" items depend on the individual but knife/fork/spoon combo tool, LED lamps, a means of charging your cell phone, gas canister/ers, small first aid kit, extra batteries, are some of my got to have items.

RIDE SAFE
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    Uh... There is a great French Press accessory for the Jetboil... life is too short to drink instant coffee!

Two essential bits of gear for me are a Rollaroaster and SPAM
    Even bad coffee is better than no coffee.
    F650 GS 2007, F650GS 2011,F800GS 2014
    Team Pterodactyl, Dessert Division
    A Bit Wester of HQ

redriderbmw

Smile How will this thread apply

After 50 years plus riding motorcycles it's time to get the sidecar. I'll be giving up a 95 RT, going to a
    03 1150RT. In April I pick up A Hannagin Sidecar. My mind is just wired. Thinking about what I can take now
    versus what I should leave behind. Will I have to get road permits going to rallys, will I have to avoid weigh
    stations like truckers. And is there a support group in the MOA to aid us sad souls.
    All in fun and looking more different miles, rediderbmw

Marlboro Camping Gear

Saw on Craigslist Marlboro camping equipment for sale. Nothing says fresh air like great camping gear from Marlboro.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/for/3599627915.html

I wonder how many packs of cancer sticks it took to get all that gear.
    Lynn
    MOA #57883

Quote Originally Posted by AKThumper View Post
    Even bad coffee is better than no coffee.
    Best worst coffee I ever had was at the bottom of a mountain pass I had just ridden over in Mexico... in the pitch dark, freezing cold fog and rain... in a traffic jam full of tractor-trailers.

There is no excuse for bad coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by jdubick View Post
    KOA directory, A cabin is better if it is raining.
    From my experience I can stay in a Mom & Pop motel for less. Many are not the Holiday Inn but a notch above a KOA cabin. Oh, yeh, this is a camping thread...
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    From my experience I can stay in a Mom & Pop motel for less. Many are not the Holiday Inn but a notch above a KOA cabin. Oh, yeh, this is a camping thread...
    Hey, after a week of camping, it is nice to stay in motel for a night. You get a real bed and a shower. Nice to have both before the trip home.

So far, we have looked at tents, sleeping bags, and had at least one stove comment. What about a good cook set? Or a good flashlight? Did we miss those?

BTW, what does a night at a KOA run?
    Lynn
    MOA #57883