Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Metzler Tires

Thumbs down Metzler Tires

Any other rider's as upset as I am that the perfect 99A has been discontinued by Metzler. The best rain tire I have ever ridden on.The only tire mounted on my three BMW,s in the last dozen years. I have emailed Metzler and complained, I hope many of you will do the same.
    Thanks.

Tells it like it is......
    I recently installed a pair of Metz Z6's on my RT. The rear tire took 45 g. of weight to balance. I wasn't happy about that at all.

The front took 10 g. I had much better luck with Conti Road Force tires.

Might be a while before I go with Metzlers again.......
    Speed kills.......but only the dumb and inexperienced.

Blocking the slow lane
    The Laser and ME99 definitely changed after production moved to Brazil. I used to use them in the early 90s, but switched to Dunlop and Bridgestone bias-plies and never looked back.
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

Planned Spontaneity EastTNBeemer's Avatar
    I installed a pair of Michelin Macadam 50 sport touring bias tires on my K75S two weeks ago and just returned from a 2200 mile week long ride. After riding on pavement, gravel, rain, heat, curvy two-lane and interstate roads, I'm very happy with the performance.
    MOA, BMWRA, CMA, AAAA, Rounder #71
    Extremely modest, and proud of it!

Yes I also have ridden the ME33 and 99A combination for 15 years, with the odd ME88 as a rear sub. Excellent tires for the R100RS, I trust them completely ... but I guess times have changed. I hear complaints from some Canadian friends that the mileage of the new Metz lasertec tires is dismal, worn out within a month in some cases, no complaints with grip though ... time to see what some other folks are wearing on their older R models , any suggestions ?
    Steve
    steve now in CT
    moved from Toronto
    92 R100RS

I have used the me33 and me99 after production moved to brazil and did not see a difference. Not a great mileage tire ...oh but what a rain tire, I would go anywhere in the rain. I have emailed Metzler...need more riders to complain.

Well I gave the lazer tec a try. Performance was good but not as good in rain as the ME99. However, I could live with 7000 miles with the ME99. The lazertec on the other hand wore out in two trips totaling a mere 3800 miles.
    I have emailed Metzler with my thoughts and told them to Bring back the 99, fat chance.
    So the search is n for replacements, front and rear. Any suggestions?

I'm on my third pair of Z6's and have no complaints. There's nothing like a new set of tires that's scrubbed in with a hundred miles on them. Wish they could stay like that.
    Last edited by RTRandy; 10-05-2005 at 07:27 PM.
    Luck favors those who are prepared.

At the advice of my legal team, my comment is no comment

I am not allowed to make tire comments on account of my upcoming product review in the December issue of our fine print publication: The Owners News.
    Don't winterize; Rounderize!
    www.yearroundriders.com

USERNAME
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy777
    I am not allowed to make tire comments on account of my upcoming product review in the December issue of our fine print publication: The Owners News.
    izzat a joke?

I liked the Z4 and Z6 on my R1150R, but I am currently running Michelin Pilot Roads.
    Biff
    2004 R1150R Silver

There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule.

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft FredRydr's Avatar
    Cliffy,

You better not be holding out on us MOA dues-payers. I just mounted and paid for an ME Z6 a couple of hours ago.

Fred

Talking You talkin' to me? Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by username
    izzat a joke?
    Kinda. I'm not holding out anything. Remember me asking for opinions on re-manufactured tires? Everyone thought I was a butt hat. Yup, thats me. Just rolled over 4k on the Tomahawks on the way in this morning and they ROCK. Mr. Butthat and his retreads! Read all about it in the December issue of the ON.
    www.yearroundriders.com

Zen Motorcyclist callmethebreeze's Avatar
    Kinda. I'm not holding out anything. Remember me asking for opinions on re-manufactured tires? Everyone thought I was a butt hat. Yup, thats me. Just rolled over 4k on the Tomahawks on the way in this morning and they ROCK. Mr. Butthat and his retreads! Read all about it in the December issue of the ON.
    What speed are those tomahawks rated for? How many miles are you predicting they'll last? If I die while riding on them, can I sue you from Hell?

Inquiring minds want to know,

Breeze
    In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few-- Suzuki Roshi

can't really talk about it until after the evaluation is published. Remember, the net and mag are not integrated yet.
    www.yearroundriders.com