Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Remus exhaust

Remus exhaust

Does anyone know of any published performance numbers for the Remus exhaust system on the 1600? (preferably from an independent source)
    JerryAttrick
    2013 K1600GTL, "Siegfried"
    But Mom, I've never found "well enough".

Certifiable Old Fart beemerdons's Avatar
    Scanned this from Fall 2013 issue of BMW Motorcycle Magazine. Remus: You gain 5 horsepower and 2 foot lbs. of torque! I love my Remus exhaust!

Those are my Remus exhausts in the middle of the picture below, AZ Beemers MOA Club #89 now has a dozen happy K1600 Owners! Mach Scnell, K16!

Don Stanley; aka Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"
    BMWMOA #24810; www.azbeemers.org/forum #89

No longer a member here
    Seriously, guys! You may say that I am a dickhead trying to rain on your parade, but.... $1,400.- for 5 hp and 2 lb-ft of torque???? You have one of the most powerful touring bikes in existence, and you feel you need to pay THAT much for a change you will actually never realize other than maybe hear?? I spent money on bikes and cars for performance increase and the return on investment has always been somewhat questionable, but never THAT bad. How does that old saying about the fool and his money go...???

+1 EMSimon

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    Seriously, guys! You may say that I am a dickhead trying to rain on your parade, but.... $1,400.- for 5 hp and 2 lb-ft of torque???? You have one of the most powerful touring bikes in existence, and you feel you need to pay THAT much for a change you will actually never realize other than maybe hear?? I spent money on bikes and cars for performance increase and the return on investment has always been somewhat questionable, but never THAT bad. How does that old saying about the fool and his money go????

Thanks. That was the info I needed. Nothing in those numbers would get the Visa card out.
    BTW, someone suggested that the real benefit comes from the Remus headers. I gather that the graphs were muffler-swap-only. Any data on this?
    JerryAttrick

BMW's middle name ain't "motor" for nothing.

They do not fit exhaust systems that strangle their motors.

Read once an article about a guy racing Airhead in AHMRA and he found stock exhaust the best.

"Performance exhaust" is hype, nothing more.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

No longer a member here
    Actually, I have not seen an aftermarket exhaust that LOOKS better than the stock pipes on my K1600GT. I really like the six exhaust ports. As there usually are a lot of bikes behind me, it leaves no doubt about what just passed them...... Give me a real six-into-six, like I have for one of my CBXes, and I may pay $1,000.- for it...just for show.

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    ... $1,400.- for 5 hp and 2 lb-ft of torque?
    I didn't get a Remus to pick up any additional power; I just find the stock BMW systems to be too quiet. And I'll take the 11 kilogram weight reduction.

As for the cost, what else am I going to spend $1,500 on?
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by RINTY View Post
    Gasoline!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RINTY View Post
    I didn't get a Remus to pick up any additional power; I just find the stock BMW systems to be too quiet. And I'll take the 11 kilogram weight reduction.

+1, Gunny; I like the way you think RINTY, next time you are in Arizona I will buy you a $100 shot of Macallan! jes' sayin' and nuff said, eh!

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    BMW's middle name ain't "motor" for nothing.

They do not fit exhaust systems that strangle their motors.

Read once an article about a guy racing Airhead in AHMRA and he found stock exhaust the best.

"Performance exhaust" is hype, nothing more.
    I never question their ability. But what they are able to do and what they are permitted to do may be different. Consider the BoosterPlug company doing a thriving business selling a device that performs a congress-ectomy on our bikes.
    JerryAttrick

Quote Originally Posted by beemerdons View Post
    +1, Gunny; I like the way you think RINTY, next time you are in Arizona I will buy you a $100 shot of Macallan! jes' sayin' and nuff said, eh!
    We'll toast Neil Peart; it's his favourite.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Tangible benefit of Remus cans is weight savings. Intangible is noise and appearance. On the other hand, Remus headers remove the cat and increase flow, e.g. advertised 20 lbft increase in torque which you can feel. I went with the headers and had the stock cans powder coated black...
    NoVA
    '12 K1600GT

Many of us have changed the sound of our stock exhaust, by drilling or punching out the upper and lower holes on the stock mufflers. I started by drilling 1/4 hole, some change in sound, got creative and went to 3/8 sound was even better. Not having a extra long 1/2 drill bit, I used a 1/2 extra ong center punch and gave it a few hits till the crimped end opened up to 1/2 inch. Sound change is very noticeable above 3000 rpm. Weight saving zero, horse power increase zero, COST ZERO, sound GREAT