Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY vs Warranty

DIY vs Warranty

Past Yamaha and Honda guy. Just ordered my first BMW - 2013 R1200RT. My butt is itching.
    Anyway, I'm a machinest, CNC programer/setup/operator so I know my way around machines and tools. I've checked out this site for maintenance instructions and it all seems rather straight forward. I am concerned about maintaining the warranty and still do most of the work myself.
    What do I need to do to prove all the scheduled work is done properly?
    Thank you in advance.

DIY vs Warranty

I was just looking at the same bike and asked the service department manager the same thing thing. He said as long as you do it right there is no issue with warranty.

I can verify that from personal experience. I do all my own and have a couple times needed a warranty replacment (an fpc, for example). Never had a problem with it- even at dealers other my local one.

I use the factory service forms for all regular service that you can find on the web and make notes on them for anything done in between.
    Remember you will need a GS-911 to reset the service indicators and check codes or will need to get a dealer to do that for you.

Also, FWIW, should you ever buy a used one there is no problem getting recall updates done at any dealer either. I recently added an 06 K-GT to the fleet and had the local dealer do the suspension link recall.

Like others have said as long as you can prove that you have maintained the bike and performed the required service items your okay. You will need to prove if asked that you have purchased lubricants that meet spec and of proper viscosities. They will also look for items such as filters, seals and anything else that would be needed for proper completion of the service.

Do keep in mind that if the dealer performs the service for you, you will have a better chance of getting good will warranty assistance on major components if the dealer has been involved all along. I've seen this to be true in motorcycle and car dealerships. The dealer is more likely to push the factory rep for assistance on your behalf if they have had an opportunity to see you after the initial sale.
    Jason
    Grand rapids, MI
    2012 BMW R1200RT

Well, thanks for the responses. Having not dealt with BMW dealer for service, are the charges high for labor for valve clearance checks or other types of maintenance? Obviously the oil changes and minor stuff so easy to do I would be reluctant to ask for their help.
    Besides oil changes and valve clearance checks, what other types of scheduled maintenance is required?

Thanks
    Peter

Federal Law prevents dealers from denying warranty service regardless of where work was done. Lack of proof does not mean lack of warranty. A lot depends on whether or not the dealer is ethical.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Quote Originally Posted by sickticket View Post
    what other types of scheduled maintenance is required?
    Check valves, oil changes, sparkplug changes, air filter changes, alternator belt changes, check battery, brake pads and rotors, brake bleeds, cables, clutch fluid level (the level RISES as the clutch wears), center and side stand pivot lube, lights, tires, and engine start suppression.

The list will vary with specific bikes. I created a checklist for use on my bike (an '05 GS). http://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gs/service.pdf I keep the checked off list in a binder along with receipts for parts. When I get a new bike I'll create a new checklist for it. Data for the checklist came mostly from the RepROM [repair DVD].

Talking

There is a DVD out for the hexhead GS, same engine,trans and final drive as RT
    Google JVB productions he makes a great video explaining service on GS cycles, should work for your RT

Never once;

Been thru dozens beemers with nearly a million miles and never once have been asked to show papers of my self service past. I have done almost all of it and only seeing my dealers with waranty claims thru the years. I find my dealer exceptional however and they know me well. It may help to have a good relation with your guys, but never do I go in for service. BMW has always stood up for my waranty claims, no questions asked. Some have been severe claims like FDs and computers and cams, so some have cost BMW big. Randy

Ok, I have learned a lot. Thanks for the responses.

Final question (I think). Is there a list available that shows a schedule of recommended maintenance to keep my new bike in it's best possible mechanical shape?

I don't have one for any R1200, but just for the sake of example, I'll try to post some from earlier bikes. They're old copies, so they may not copy over clearly, but let's try this ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

one more -
    Attached Files Attached Files

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by sickticket View Post

Final question (I think). Is there a list available that shows a schedule of recommended maintenance to keep my new bike in it's best possible mechanical shape?
    The best idea would be to get the list from the service manager at the dealership where you bought/plan on having your warranty work done. That way there is no disagreement as to what should have been done. Several of those official looking online lists are completely missing some of the most critical known maintenance items (ie. early K bike final drive spline lube). If the guy that is making the decision on your warranty knows he is the guy that gave you the list of what to maintain, you should have no problem. If you get a list off the internet, they have room to say that it was the wrong or not current list.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Ok, now all my questions have been answered.

Thank you all!!

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Acejones View Post
    Federal Law prevents dealers from denying warranty service regardless of where work was done. Lack of proof does not mean lack of warranty. A lot depends on whether or not the dealer is ethical.
    What he said. I've had both a Kawasaki area rep and the Triumph USA rep try to intimidate me with that "void your warranty" business. It doesn't fly, BUT being on good relations with a good dealership sure helps grease the skids.
    Old But Not Dead
    Semper Fi