Thread: Vetter fairing lower mount bracket?

Hybrid View

Cool Vetter fairing lower mount bracket?

My fellow airheads, will a Vetter lower mount bracket (mounts to the down tubes) off of a /7 frame..fit on a /6 frame for a Don Vesco Rabid Transit fairing?
    Glenn
    ...driving to work on my airhead
    '74 R60/6, '75 R60/6(boxes)

I worked in the R&D department at Vetter from '76-'81.

A Luftmeister mount will work, so a Vetter should. They're essentially the same. I'd suggest that if you need to "tweek" anything to fit that it be the hardware, not the fairing. What you might find is that the fairing fits on the mounting hardware okay, but that the mounting tabs that connect to the frame are off a bit.

Disclaimer: We had a lot of QC issues with BMW hardware, it was a constant battle to maintain dimensional tolerance during the period prior to robotic tube forming and welding operations. e.g. my /5 frame mount would not fit on the /6 so your mileage may vary.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Thank you Lew, there's no way I'll be cutting into a Don Vescon Fairing, sacrilegious act will not be done! This info is exactly what I needed to continue on my project, if I need to tweak the bottom mount a little that's fine. I just wanted to make sure before I dropped any more $$$$$$. R&D at Vetter mmmm did u know any one at Bell Ray racing,during that time?
    Thank you sir
    Glenn
    Glenn

The /7 frame is different than the /6.

The /7 frame was stiffened and the /6 vetter mount will not work on a /7 frame due to a cross gusset.
    The /7 mount is tough to come by.
    The/6 mount seem to come up occasionally.

Jim
    I like good stuff. No Chains here!
    1960 R50 -"Hanz"
    1977 R75/7 -"Gertie"
    2004 R1100s -"RFAR1"

Ok, perfect, thank you Jim, that's another piece to the puzzle I need to consider.....and some of my friends think my obsession with Airheads is lame......I guess it's time to get new friends....I love figuring this stuff out it keeps my mind at ease.....it's therapy for me.
    How's the weather up in Ketchikan?.. Are you able to ride a lot? I remember working up in Anchorage and it didn't seem to be as cold as Minnesota... Just had to watch out for moose and bears
    Glenn

Glen, I did not know any of the BelRay folks, but I did have an opportunity to meet Reg Pridmore, Pierre DesRoches, and Pop Yoshimura when we were sponsoring the Vetter Kawasaki AMA bike in '78. It got pretty grim around the shop after Craig sold the company in late '78 ... we didn't get to play a whole lot after that.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner