Thread: 2003 K1200GT Headlight wattage

Hybrid View

2003 K1200GT Headlight wattage

I need to replace my headlights as the H7 low has burnt out and so I just change them both as a general practice. The parts store has a 55w and a 100w H3 for the high beam. Has anyone tried a 100w bulb? I don't know if the wires can handle the extra draw.
    Jeff
    93 K1100LT
    03 K1200GT

The stock wiring will not handle the 100W. There have been ground wire failures with the stock lamps. Get a relay set from Eastern Beaver and run the lights you want. I recently installed HID lamp in my low beam and it works great!
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

Another thing is the reflective coating in the bucket. The high heat of a 100W bulb may damage it.
    Ron

91 K75RT ABS

Just spend a few more bucks

and use a real HID system for the low beam. The difference is fantastic. Really.

I too switched to an HID. Used the kit from Pirates Lair. Wow what a great difference it makes. It throws a ton more light and has a nice diffuse boundary that extends nicely down the road and to the sides. While much brighter than the H7, I haven't been flashed at night by anyone thinking I had the lights on bright. The bright, normal H3 adds just a bit of filler light in the top center of the pattern that extends a little further down the road. I regret I waited so long.

NCS
    03 K 1200RS (Black is Best)
    03 Honda RC51
    74 Honda CB750 K4

Sounds like the HID will be the way to go. I have been thinking along those lines.

I did the EB relay on my '93 and was very happy with it. He did a custom for me that included my aux lights. It is setup to turn the aux off when the high beam is on.

Thanks for in input,
    Jeff
    93 K1100LT
    03 K1200GT