Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: 2003 K1200GT Headlight Bucket

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    548

    2003 K1200GT Headlight Bucket

    I found out today that one of the mounting ears was broken off of my headlight bucket. Someone had tried to repair it with some type of epoxy. I have had the bike for over a year and a half and it just let go today. Has anyone had any luck repairing something like this? Can I expect something like JB Weld to hold up? Any other ideas?

    Beemer Boneyard is out of stock for a used one. I have emailed re-psycle to see if they have a used one. Any other places to look?
    Thanks,
    Jeff
    93 K1100LT
    03 K1200GT

  2. #2
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    1,445


    If you're talking about part # 11, it's less than $19 from BMW.

    If you're talking abut # 1, lets hope you find a used one.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    548
    I wish it was #11. Could probably come up with a functional repair for it.

    If I fail to find a used one I plan on forming a bracket out of aluminum. It will give a larger surface to glue to. Still not sure how well it will hold.
    Jeff
    93 K1100LT
    03 K1200GT

  4. #4
    3 Red Bricks
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton, Ca.
    Posts
    3,347
    Jeff,

    PM sent.


    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

    Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

    Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    548
    Well, I went ahead and cobbled up a repair. Most of the old epoxy just scraped off with a fingernail. I used a razor knife and a pick to get all of the old stuff out of the nooks and crannies. After cleanup, the broken tab nested in nicely. I used Permatex brand plastic weld for the repair. A real thin layer was applied to the broken edges and then I held the tab in place until it setup enough to stay.

    Next I fashioned a piece of light weight non-ferrous gray stuff into a wrap around support. After scuffing everything with 36 grip emery, the aluminum was glued into place with the same plastic weld. The container said I could use it on the aluminum. It's not real pretty but I think it will hold up better than the last repair.

    Still have to do some cleanup and drill the hole through the aluminum. Figured I should wait until it is fully cured to do those tasks.
    Jeff

    dumping ground 017.jpg
    93 K1100LT
    03 K1200GT

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •