Thread: Rt on the North Road in Quebec?

Rt on the North Road in Quebec?

Do you think a Rt can do the north road in Quebec? I would be doing this in late June, and am wondering if the graders would still be making it a soft and fluffy GS road only.
    thanks for your views,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by T-foiler View Post
    Do you think a Rt can do the north road in Quebec? I would be doing this in late June, and am wondering if the graders would still be making it a soft and fluffy GS road only.
    thanks for your views,
    Paul
    Hi Paul
    I am sending you 2nd hand info....Talking to some gents last summer about this subject. They had been there and.... they told me that my GS would be a good fit for the road but I was advised to put on a good set of knobbies. They had said that the gravel road gets to be challenging at times.....depending on the grading. I was also told by a different person ( who lives in Sept Ilse) , that the quebec govmnt is still working on this road which may be paved all the way through in 3 or 4 years...I am not so sure about this one, but if someone out there knows, please keep me posted.
    Rob.

Hammam
    Quote Originally Posted by T-foiler View Post
    thanks for your views,
    Paul
    I've only been very occasionnally on gravel roads with my RT (which I am now trading for the new 2012 R1200 GS LC) fitted with Michelin PR3, and I hated it. Uncomfortable, wobbly and scary. It's okay for a few kms if you don't have the choice, but I would never do more than that. That being said, I have no idea in what state this road is. But judging by the terrible state of disrepair most Quebec roads are kept in these days (years) I wouldn't bet the farm on improvement. I may be wrong, though.

thanks!!

I just completed a solo trip of the Trans-Lab highway, departing from ON turning north at Baie Comeau and returning via Newfoundland, Cape Breton, NB, ME, NH, and VT on a GSA 1200 with Tourance tires instead of knobbies.

I was on a tight time schedule. I encountered various kinds of gravel (wet, dry, fine, chunky, deep, shallow, loosely and falsely filling some potholes, clay like appearance / feel in places, whiteouts at times (when gravel was dry with heavy truck traffic), slick at times (when wet and freshly ploughed) etc. The nature / condition of the gravel portions of the road changed rapidly, without warning.

Significant portions of the TLH are nicely paved - black asphalt with not a crack in it. I have no doubt that the gravel portions in QC and Labrador will be fully paved within a few years.

All of that said, it was definitely an adventure and I'm glad I had the GS and not an RT.