Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How to organize panniers on R1200RT ('08)?

Cargo Net??

Has anyone seen a cargo net that would stretch across the opening of the panniers...maybe one for each side?
    We don't take a trip...the trip takes us.

2006 BMW R1200GS
    2008 BMW R1200RT

Hammam
    Quote Originally Posted by siman00 View Post
    Very inexpensive, but functional solution. Purchase two of the (very large) ziploc type bags. They come with a handle moulded in, so carrying is easy. Close to be 100% watertight. They hold a lot more stuff and weight than you'd believe. Just fill them up, stuff them into the case, and close the lid. Reverse when getting to destination.

The downside is that they are clear, so when you're checking into a motel, folks can see what's in them, so you've got to think about what goes where unless you don't mind people seeing your undies, etc. They last a long time; I used one set for two years and around probably two dozen trips of lengths from a few days to a few weeks each.

Don't use them anymore, got tired of my riding buddy talking about me carrying around my garbage bags, so I spent the money and got some RKA bags off the forum. The ziploc bags actually work best, though!
    How ziplock bags can work better than dedicated pannier bags is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammam View Post
    How ziplock bags can work better than dedicated pannier bags is beyond me.
    "Work better" means different things to different people. I appreciate getting lot's of perpectives on solving problems.

2006 BMW R1200GS
    2008 BMW R1200RT

Grampa Tumbleweed

How To Organize Panniers on R1200RT

I use a Kathy's liner on the Left, this goes into the motel each night. The other bag has a clear plastic divider the length of the bag, anchored with hinges at the bottom. Behind the divider is all the Road Warrior stuff, tire kit, tool roll, first aid, electrical repair kit, etc. Outside of the divider are walking shoes and what ever else I can cram in there. Like electric liner on a warm day. Harv R1200Rt 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by bobframe View Post
    Yes sir...ordered, done with, on to the next farkle.

FWIW, I was initially reluctant to get liners, since giving up on the Honda liners on my ST1300...thought they took up too much space. But I think bag liners are probably the best solution for me, for now.

Still open to someone else's brilliant, elegant solution....
    I have owned a few sets of the clam shell BMW system cases on 5 different Oil Heads and clam shells on one Honda, they are all much like your hard bags. I have tried the liners on two different bikes. Both times I sold the liners in short order; they did not work for me. I found it limits how much I can fit in the bags.

I use a series for packing cubes from REI and a series of zippered mesh bags from Aerostich. My hard bags go into the tent with me and the hotel room.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    I have owned a few sets of the clam shell BMW system cases on 5 different Oil Heads and clam shells on one Honda, they are all much like your hard bags. I have tried the liners on two different bikes. Both times I sold the liners in short order; they did not work for me. I found it limits how much I can fit in the bags.

I use a series for packing cubes from REI and a series of zippered mesh bags from Aerostich. My hard bags go into the tent with me and the hotel room.
    I agree with you regarding liners...they do absorb a bunch of the space and if you are not planning to actually use them as luggage, i.e., carry them into a tent or hotel, then their chief value lies in converting a side opening pannier into a (sorta) top loading bag. Which, for me, works better. I hate opening a pannier and having its contents spill out.

Again...nobody has found a cargo net that covers the opening of the pannier?

2006 BMW R1200GS
    2008 BMW R1200RT

I've not seen any aftermarket cargo net for the side cases. I seem to recall a DIY attempt or two, but these seem to require drilling the case or using epoxy to hold the mounting hooks. I'm reluctant to drill and doubtful that epoxy would hold on the smooth plastic for very long.

I have a set of Kathy's liners which seem to work well without taking up space. These are made with a single layer of Cordura fabric, unlike some bags that have foam stiffeners. This means that everything does not have to go in the liner because they scrunch down small when they are empty or partly full. Two pockets on the outside (one zipped, one velcro closure) are easily accessible. The main compartment zipper can be left open inside the case for access without items falling out. A third zippered pocket inside would also help me with organization, except that I keep forgetting that it is there. The flexibility of the liner gives me the option to keep a separate stuff sack with my rain suit in the right side case, as long as that liner is not stuffed full.

Works for me...
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    I've not seen any aftermarket cargo net for the side cases. I seem to recall a DIY attempt or two, but these seem to require drilling the case or using epoxy to hold the mounting hooks. I'm reluctant to drill and doubtful that epoxy would hold on the smooth plastic for very long.

I have a set of Kathy's liners which seem to work well without taking up space. These are made with a single layer of Cordura fabric, unlike some bags that have foam stiffeners. This means that everything does not have to go in the liner because they scrunch down small when they are empty or partly full. Two pockets on the outside (one zipped, one velcro closure) are easily accessible. The main compartment zipper can be left open inside the case for access without items falling out. A third zippered pocket inside would also help me with organization, except that I keep forgetting that it is there. The flexibility of the liner gives me the option to keep a separate stuff sack with my rain suit in the right side case, as long as that liner is not stuffed full.

Works for me...
    Good advice Larry. My Kathy's are on the way.

2006 BMW R1200GS
    2008 BMW R1200RT