Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 90 Years in 90 Seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    the dare devil ...he's always on that motorcycle reving the engine....

Saw this one the other night.... peel your eyes and tell me if you see what I see....

At the very end it states that MVR Ins. since 1923
    John Simonds
    2008 R 1200 GSA
    1975 850 Norton Roadster
    If it ain"t broke... fix it till it is.

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    You probably missed checking the sales figures.

The large amount of the 90 seconds devoted to the R80G/S demonstrates accurately that BMW is a GS company and a boxer twin company.

Omission of much in the way of R90S would reflect its not-so-stellar success in the crotch rocket market, although it's making a comeback with a bike NOT named K, i.e. S1000RR.

It's good to recall that 1984 saw BMW calling the boxers "last editions" and that R80G/S sales were not so hot either. Introduction of the fairly flawed Ks convinced BMWs customers they were not ready to give up boxers as BMW thought they should, and the rest is history and the R100GS saved the division.

What do you mean "fairly flawed Ks"? Remember, there are many BMW owners that feel that the K75 is one of the best, if not the best two wheel machine BMW has ever produced. Period. Personally, I think the R80 has a slight edge, but that's just me. If you get on a K bike expecting a boxer, you will be disappointed. Kinda like biting into an apple and expecting an orange.

Considering that BMW had been producing twins for about 75 years or so, they had plenty of time to refine the boxer engine design and riders knew what to expect. Then they came out with the the flying brick, and of course the public was not prepared for a non boxerish motorcycle. People don't like change and BMW owners are no exception.

Turn to history and you will see the flying brick has held up well over the years. Much better than the air cooled R60, the entry level bike just a few years before. If you compare the basic K75 to a entry level boxer like a R65, you can see, the K bike was a lot of bike for the money. If you take in to account the fact it was a radically new concept of machine for BMW, you have to admit, they did a damn good job.
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

Quote Originally Posted by ARGENT BRICK View Post
    Considering that BMW had been producing twins for about 75 years or so,
    Actually, it was 60 years (1923 - 1983).

Turn to history and you will see the flying brick has held up well over the years. Much better than the air cooled R60, the entry level bike just a few years before. If you compare the basic K75 to a entry level boxer like a R65, you can see, the K bike was a lot of bike for the money. If you take in to account the fact it was a radically new concept of machine for BMW, you have to admit, they did a damn good job.
    You're right about an apples to oranges comparison! An R60 had 40 HP; the K75 had 75 HP. Even the R65 only had 50 HP. The K75 was also significantly more expensive than either of the Boxers.

OTOH, I think you're right that the Ks, and especially the K motors, have stood the test of time very well.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Quote Originally Posted by DarrylRi View Post
    Actually, it was 60 years (1923 - 1983).

You're right about an apples to oranges comparison! An R60 had 40 HP; the K75 had 75 HP. Even the R65 only had 50 HP. The K75 was also significantly more expensive than either of the Boxers.

OTOH, I think you're right that the Ks, and especially the K motors, have stood the test of time very well.
    As I recall, an R80 produced 50-hp and an R100 produced 60-hp. The K75 produced ~70-hp in US spec and the K100 was claimed to produce 90-hp.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Well Guys, I did say ABOUT seventy-five years. It was a guess on my part.

I have to admit, I would love to have another airhead, but not at the cost of loosing my K75. However, I never realized that the small boxers had such a low horse power rating. Only 40 HP for my old R60. Wow. No wonder it was so gutless.

The bike was under powered and the brakes sucked and the whole time I owned it, I could never claim that I had nothing to do. It seemed like there was always something to going on. Adjust the valves, change the points, etc. Always something. And yet, for some reason, people seem to love these underpowered machines over the black sheep K bikes. Why?

I have come to the conclusion that the early K bikes are the Rodney Dangerfield of BMW motorcycles. They don't get any respect.
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

Awesome indeed !

(But what's the steam-powered model in the last few seconds?)
    "Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." Mark Twain

K1200R commercial

This one is pretty awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tiqT_mQLrs

Tom - MOA #156706, Hayward, CA
    2006 BMW R1200GS Adventure, aka "Gretel"
    1983 Honda V65 Magna - SOLD
    http://www.flyv65.com