Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why do shocks on bikes last 1/5 the time they do on cars and cost eight times more?

Quote Originally Posted by DARRYL CAINEY View Post
    Why they cost more?

Chrome or powder coated springs, polished aluminum housings, fancy reservoirs, steel braided lines, multi adjustable settings.

We demand they look nice so they cost more! Simple!
    I don't buy that argument because lots of cheap automotive aftermarket stuff is chromey but still junk. Chrome/powder coats is sort of cheap in any sort of volume.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

I ride for pleasure now days as no job commute , thus transportation is kind of secondary unless you count that I also like to travel to be somewhere else on its own merits & the bike gets me there in a certain fashion. So that means I'm stroking my ego? I don't get that one? I don't fit into the "lifestyle accessory" category very well , IMO as never been much of a poser.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Capitalism is the only economic system I'm familiar with. And it's pretty simple.

Whatever the market Will bear is what will be charged. And wherever cost of production is most profitable is where the parts will be manufactured. Nothing is ever written in stone but that seems to be the driving force for the majority of companies.

Companies spend a lot of money convincing people that they should buy their product . And it's human nature to perceive that the item that they purchased for a considerable sum is the best regardless of actual proof.

Wall street has made a science of all the human emotions that go into consumer purchases.

They definitely have have my number
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

Yeh, I drank the auto/MC koolaid long ago but then there are posers & others of us that are just self indulgent? Capitalism wins. I suppose they've got you either way...

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    The economics are simple regardless of whether it is Capitalism or any other system. The cost of the manufacturing equipment has to be spread over the number of units produced and sold. The cost per unit is more for a few thousand produced for motorcycles than it is when several hundred thousand are produced for cars. I just priced a fuel filter for my 2001 Ford Escape. The $9.99 filter will fit over 1,000 different vehicles (720 Fords alone). The manufacturing equipment cost per unit for the filter is very low.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Supply/inventory and inflation also affect pricing. when thumbing mindlessly thumbing an old capital cycle catalogue I was shocked to see an airhead lifter selling for $4.50. Shock pricing likewise was breathtaking.
    Airheads, the bikes, surprisingly hold about the same pricing of two decades back despite large inflationary times and a devaluing dollar. times are good, and not so good depending on parts purchasing today.

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    The economics are simple regardless of whether it is Capitalism or any other system. The cost of the manufacturing equipment has to be spread over the number of units produced and sold. The cost per unit is more for a few thousand produced for motorcycles than it is when several hundred thousand are produced for cars. I just priced a fuel filter for my 2001 Ford Escape. The $9.99 filter will fit over 1,000 different vehicles (720 Fords alone). The manufacturing equipment cost per unit for the filter is very low.

Having spent more than most people on auto & bike parts I could also argue that who's selling the parts makes far more difference in the end user price than the manufacturing volume. Buy that filter @ a box store vs a car dealer's parts counter vs. a parts wholesaler that has generic version. I like to watch the Shark Tank on TV to see the ideas people come up with and it's also interesting to hear their mfg cost, wholesale vs retail price points etc too. FWIW, this old guy got an "A" in micro & macro econ. I have bought a few items on ebay the past few years that were made in/shipped from Hong Kong or mainland China & it's absolutely amazing that they can make something & mail it to me with signature required, no less! for those prices. I just got 2 large,~7-8" long, graduated syringes/with tubing too! to use for fork oil & other shop fluids. They cost less than $4 for both incl shipping.
    I've had enough snow,please stop...