Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Newbie with a fuel leak

Newbie with a fuel leak

Hey Everyone,
    I'm new to the group. I've ridden bikes for almost 20 yrs - even had a R1100R years ago but that bike didn't fit my long legs very well. I recently bought a 2002 R1150RT with 30K miles on the (the bike I should have bought years ago). I love the bike but when I got home from work on it yesterday, I smelled gasoline. I didn't see anything so didn't worry about it. This morning when I cranked it up, it started immediately dripping gas off the bottom of the engine so I shut it off and left it there. It will be this weekend before I can strip off the plastics and take a look. What do you think I'll find? Just trying to prepare myself mentally

Probably OEM plastic quick disconnects that have finally given up the ghost.

Replace with metal QDs.
    JWMcDonald
    2003 R1150RS (current) / 1978 R80/7 (prior)
    1966 R69S (prior) / 1972 R75/5 (prior)
    Windsor, California

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    First off welcome to the MOA Forums.

Some guesses and things to check:
    - cracked fuel quick disconnect
    - cracked/split fuel line between tank and plastic inlet tube
    - loose fuel line clamps
    - O Rings at fuel injector inlets leaking

You might have to turn the ignition on to pressurize the fuel rail and lines to find the leak but don't start the bike until you fix this.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Thanks...sounds like that might fall under my "doability". Should I pull the plastics off the right or left side to access this (please don't say both ) ?

Right.

NOT worth your time or money to replace with BMW parts - go aftermarket and all-metal for both fittings.

Rally Rat
    This is what you want, right here.

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdiscon.html

Quote Originally Posted by JimMoore View Post
    This is what you want, right here.

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdiscon.html
    Don't forget to enter code BMWMOA in the source code box @ checkout and click apply, for a 10% discount.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Might be getting a bit ahead of ourselves here. He hasn't even taken the tupperware off the bike to see what is leaking yet.

The same thing happened to me on my '99 R1100S right after I got it. Only in my case it wasn't the fuel disconnects but the fuel hoses under the tank. A call to beemerboneyard provided the hose. Pulled the tupperware off the bike, removed the tank (wouldn't you know I had just filled up) and drained it, very carefully. Replacing the hoses is pretty easy. All in about a two hour job. No problems since that time.

the Wanderer is right - while the quick-disconnects are infamous, lines crack or rot internally (especially with additives).
    Cajun - if it turns out to be a bad line (or two..), depend on replacing the lines inside the tank also. MAKE SURE that the new lines are specifically rated for High Pressure Fuel Injection applications, AND that they are rated for SUBMERSION in fuel (at least for the inside pieces). Again, aftermarket is your friend and pre-formed pieces are available for the innards.
    Last time I replaced mine (did all at once while it was apart), everything "seemed" just fine, no fuel delivery problems or high-speed running issues... But there was one line that sure seemed quite restricted when I tried to blow through it.

Thanks for all the great advice and links. I'll let you know what I find when I get in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    the Wanderer is right - while the quick-disconnects are infamous, lines crack or rot internally (especially with additives).
    Cajun - if it turns out to be a bad line (or two..), depend on replacing the lines inside the tank also. MAKE SURE that the new lines are specifically rated for High Pressure Fuel Injection applications, AND that they are rated for SUBMERSION in fuel (at least for the inside pieces). Again, aftermarket is your friend and pre-formed pieces are available for the innards.
    Last time I replaced mine (did all at once while it was apart), everything "seemed" just fine, no fuel delivery problems or high-speed running issues... But there was one line that sure seemed quite restricted when I tried to blow through it.
    Just reading your reply on the gas leak and the after market pre formed hoses for the innards you mentioned caught my eye. I cannot seem to source the short hose that does a 180 from the fuel filter. This is BMW part number 16 14 2 325 808 and it costs around $34. Seems only BMW makes this part. Tried purchasing a universal plastic replacement hose from Euro Motoelectrics sells but I realized it is going to be too long after it arrived.

If you know where to find injection rated submersible hose with a 180 degree bend please let us know what and where to buy please.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunbeemer View Post
    Thanks...sounds like that might fall under my "doability". Should I pull the plastics off the right or left side to access this (please don't say both ) ?
    I felt the same way as you when I got my RT last year. When you remove the side fairings, be careful with the tabs near the cylinder heads. I learned the hard way: Broken RT Fairing.

After a few times, pulling the fairings and fuel tank have become a core skill to maintaining an RT. Once you get in down it's only about 15 minutes work ... plus two days to repair the broken tab.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer View Post
    Just reading your reply on the gas leak and the after market pre formed hoses for the innards you mentioned caught my eye. I cannot seem to source the short hose that does a 180 from the fuel filter. This is BMW part number 16 14 2 325 808 and it costs around $34. Seems only BMW makes this part. Tried purchasing a universal plastic replacement hose from Euro Motoelectrics sells but I realized it is going to be too long after it arrived.

If you know where to find injection rated submersible hose with a 180 degree bend please let us know what and where to buy please.
    The nylon hose can and should be cut to the desired length.

Quote Originally Posted by Groceryrun View Post
    The nylon hose can and should be cut to the desired length.
    Have you installed one? I ask because when I measured the original hose length vs the length of the bendable part of the nylon hose it seemed much too long. My concern is it would not fit back in the tank properly.