Thread: Penetrating Oils

Hybrid View

Penetrating Oils

Just received the March issue of the ON and saw Paul G's comments on exhaust nuts and penetrating oil.
    This reminded me of a post I received a while ago, and decided to share the info here:

Machinist's Workshop magazine recently published some information on various penetrating oils that I found very interesting. Some of you might appreciate this. The magazine reports they tested penetrates for break out torque on rusted nuts. They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist.
    They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

Penetrating oils ........... Average torque load to loosen

No Oil used ................... 516 pounds
    WD-40 ......................... 238 pounds
    PB Blaster .................... 214 pounds
    Liquid Wrench ...............127 pounds
    Kano Kroil .....................106 pounds
    ATF-Acetone mix.............53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix is a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note this "home brew" released bolts better than any commercial product in this one particular test.

Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is almost as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.

Steve from Godwin-Singer says that ATF-Acetone mix is best, but you can also use ATF and lacquer thinner in a 50-50 mix.

jeepinbanditrider
    hmm I may have to buy a spray bottle and mix me up some of that stuff

Oil and acetone, is this mix capable of spontaneous combustion on a rag?
    Putting the same mix in a spray bottle, could the pump be able to create the needed compression ratio to ignite the mix? Maybe stupid questions, but safety first

I would definitely be careful about putting acetone in some plastic bottles. That is a very powerful solvent that eats a lot of plastics easily.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by T-foiler View Post
    Oil and acetone, is this mix capable of spontaneous combustion on a rag?
    Putting the same mix in a spray bottle, could the pump be able to create the needed compression ratio to ignite the mix? Maybe stupid questions, but safety first
    Any volatile liquid is capable of spontaneous combustion in a pile of rags, caution is always advised. As far as spraying, you would need a LOT of oxygen in a mix to ignite under compression, and no way a pump bottle could come close anyway.

The plastic concern is valid, If I were to keep some premixed, I would probably use one of the metal cans with a tight lid, that you buy acetone in.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

As I recall, last time I tried the 50/50 & put some in my alu oil can (that has ATF in it all the time in the 1st place as a "casual shop oil" of choice for price & effect) and noticed that acetone & ATF don't really go into solution? As acetone evaporates FAST!-how can you keep it available for use in a 50/50? I shook the mix well and saw all these bubbles in there that looked like an unfriendly, somewhat incompatible mixture-again as I recall? My current Kroil can seems to be going fast like it feels like it has a lot in it at start then gone before you know it! Whats in it?
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

tutorial?

One with a collection of tips for freeing up siezed fasteners could be a useful addition to the tech sub-forum. Surely a lot of us learned the hard way. Just a thought....
    Rick

'06 BMW R1200RT
    '74 Moto-Guzzi 850-T

ScienceOfDirt

Penetrating Oils

Does anyone have any info on a penetrating oil/concoction that will work on on ferrous fasteners? I've yet to find anything that works on aluminum oxide.

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
    Does anyone have any info on a penetrating oil/concoction that will work on on ferrous fasteners? I've yet to find anything that works on aluminum oxide.
    There's a thread several pages long on ADV in "the Garage" on cleaning alu but you are looking at a tough idea IMO.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.